Do you use any type of lock on your firearms- Internal or External

View Poll Results: Do you lock your guns?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I use the internal and external locks

1 1.67%
  • Yes, I always use the internal locks if available

0 0%
  • Yes, I always use external locks

3 5.00%
  • Yes, I use a cable lock in my gun cabinet

0 0%
  • Yes, I use a variety of these locks to suit the design

1 1.67%
  • Yes/No Some guns I always lock, others I don't

10 16.67%
  • NO, I don't lock my guns

45 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Do you use any type of lock on your firearms- Internal or External

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26871 times

Do you use any type of lock on your firearms- Internal or External

You can choose more than one item if necessary.

There has been much discussion about the internal lock on the modern S&W revolvers. There are a few other brands that have internal locks as well, like Taurus, Bersa and Rossi.
    Now, every firearm that can be purchased comes with a lock mandated by the BATFE. Even some private sales are mandated to include a lock with the transfer.

So here's my question plain and simple. Do you use any type of lock with your guns to secure them? Locking them in a safe doesn't count, but using a cable lock to secure them inside a gun cabinet does count.

So do you?

I can honestly say that I don't use any locks, on any of my guns.
    You don't need to post a comment to answer the poll.

I look forward to see the results.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    Last edited by gearchecker; 04-27-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    10079 times
    I know you said no comments necessary, but here goes any way. I live 12 miles from the nearest town. Just the wife & I. The majority of our firearms are un-loaded and locked in a safe without ammunition any where near by. The exceptions are several handguns, one semi-auto rifle, & 2 shotguns placed around the home in specific places and always loaded. If needed, a Deputy Sheriff may be 20 - 30 minutes away. Out here, I AM 911. We're retired & not looking for any trouble, but if trouble comes it'll find an extremely hot reception and perhaps a very fleeting moment to wish they had tried else where.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    41233 times
    Negatory, good Gearchecker! Alabama requires guns to leave the gun store with one. But, they just drop it into the bag with the gun. I don't own a gun with an internal lock -- not that I'd pass one up if it was a good deal. What good is a gun that is locked and unloaded when you need protection?
    Guy

S&WCA #2629 | Ex-Navy Vietnam Vet. / Submariner | NRA Member | S&W Historical Foundation

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3917 times
    NO, I don't lock my guns
    The guns don't need to be people proofed, if the people are gun proofed.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
    "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."
    Pennsylvania Constitution; article 1 section 21
    Be Blessed, spud.308

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    6374 times
    Nope, not a one. I'm the safety device. I've never had one go off that I didn't mean it to.
    DocZeus, spud_.308, NWDave and 1 others like this.
    Duane

Member #
    Liked
    34756 times
    I have kids. They are old enough to know not to mess with firearms, but better safe than sorry. I recently got a steel security cabinet that I picked up at a yard sale for $10.00, and anything I'm not carrying is in there locked up. Before I got the cabinet I kept them in their plastic cases with a lock on the case. I also have a small bedside pistol safe with a loaded handgun in it. My carry piece goes from my holster at night into a soft case on the night stand when I go to bed, and back on my belt when I get up. The 1911 is in the bedside safe.
    DocZeus, spud_.308 and NWDave like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7071 times
    All of my "gun locks" are anatomical in nature:

Buying a gun with a lock, is like buying a car with a multitude of unnecessary-to-it's-primary-function "bells and whistles"....."Overthink/Over-Engineer The Plumbing", and it WILL fail you, at the WORST possible time, MURPHY SEZ SO.....Just another politically-incorrect, retired Engineer/Designer's opinion.....

For a device that, by it's very nature, SCREAMS "quick access and deployment", to have an internal/external lock, is a solution to a non-existent problem, for those who have common-sense and are well-trained and disciplined; this phenomenon was caused by LAWYERS, plain and simple.....and fumbling for a key, in the dark, at 3 AM, while you're groggy from sleeping, does NOT lend itself to good self-defense tactics.....I have exactly ONE Smith & Wesson Revolver that came with an internal lock (Model 649 .357 Mag, removed two minutes after it got home), so I guess I don't count as "having one with an IL"....I have ZERO aspirations of buying any new S&W's, IL or not, as the only other newer model I've purchased in the past 15 years (Model 43C) had SERIOUS QC/QA issues, so I'm DONE with any S&W's minted after 1977......or any OTHER manufacturer, that deems it necessary to include one on their weapon.....

The most SECURE method for loaded weapons is either ON YOUR PERSON, or ARM'S REACH......We don't have small children to worry about, and most all of our weapons are locked-up, but there is ALWAYS loaded weapons, on our persons and secured in hidden places, around our home 24/7, WITHOUT FAIL....

Ooopsies.....almost forgot:

DocZeus
    AKA
    The "UN-Locked And Loaded" One.....
    NRA Member.....SWCA Member.....Semi-Retired, But Not Dead Yet.....

Member #
    Liked
    17636 times
    With the exception of my M&P 40c and my BG.380 (which remain unlocked and loaded) all my other firearms are locked in my Browning Gun-Safe without any other type of secondary locking device. When I am home the 40 is in my dresser drawer and the .380 is in my desk drawer. When I am away from home, so are they.
    It is just my Wife & me in the home, when the Grandchildren visit the 380 stays in my pants pocket and the 40 gets unloaded and locked. Even though they all know not to handle any of Grandpa's firearms without me present. One cannot be too safe when it comes to children though.

RD
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988 now Endowment, And Proud Of It.

Member #
    Liked
    60229 times
    My non-carry guns are locked in a safe.
    Hunter, 1av8r, DocZeus and 2 others like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    1183 times
    Loaded gun on or near me at all times. Desk drawer, hearth corner, hanging above the easy chair, night stand, back pocket, necklace (4 shot .22wmr single action with the front sight removed for ease of shoving up an aggressor's nostril or in his ear canal...).

Lisa's Bersa has a lock, our house does not...
    DocZeus, NWDave and grasshopper like this.
    I am NOT totally useless... I make a great bad example.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links