• 1 Post By Curt360
  • 3 Post By Brassmonkey
  • 3 Post By Brassmonkey

Thread: An interesting range day and a wild assortment

Member #
    Liked
    2172 times

An interesting range day and a wild assortment

Another fine day at the club, and no one there with me. What a treat! Sunny and almost warm. I had a range of reloads to try out, some factory ammo, and an interesting case of guns, including some out for their first run. How lucky can you get?

The only disappointment was that someone had dry fired my otherwise minty high Standard Supermatic Citation (1957) enough to ever so slightly dimple the barrel edge at the ramp, resulting in a feeding issue. I was easily remedied once back at home, but meant to vintage 22 semi auto for me that day. The firing pin looks ok, so we will see next time.

Next up was my first time ever shooting a Tokarev TT33, this one from 1938, and my first time shooting 7.62 x 25 as well. What a blast. Literally. I was laughing each time I sent a round down range. At 8 yds it was easy to keep nicely on target. A 15 yds it was embarrassing how badly I was doing. Some rounds just went missing all together. Great fun though. 50 rounds.

After a rest it was time for some 9mm, from the classic to the brand new. The session started with an old favorite - a 1973 Browning Hi Power. The thing shoots itself practically, just fits in the hand. The sights are old school, and the trigger is not brilliant but something about it just feels right. I enjoy it every time. Targets were respectable and would spoil the bad guys day at 15 yds. 50 rounds.

Next it was time to get out the new gun - 2014 Sig Sauer P226 Elite Stainless. A downright handsome gun, fantastic sights and fantastic trigger. A pure joy to shoot. Just listening to the slide rack is a pleasure. Snick! Targets at 15 yds were tight and on centre. Well pleased with the purchase to say the least. 100 rounds.

The day ended with a Colt SA Buntline Scout from 1966. What a way to wrap up. It just does its job, and was the longest barrel I had ever looked down on a handgun. I really enjoyed shooting it and it reminded me what drew me into shooting as a kid.

I went home smiling from ear to ear and spent the rest of the day cleaning them up and reflecting on the morning.
    WendyZXZ, Injunbro, bruce and 4 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    71939 times
    The issue with the Citation will just give you another opportunity to go to the range. Some great oldies and some new that all seemed to do great. I must agree with that Buntline bringing back memories. Glad you had an excellent day.
    Brassmonkey and Curt360 like this.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Member #
    Wet Side of the Mountains - Washington State
    Liked
    5682 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
    Another fine day at the club, and no one there with me. What a treat! Sunny and almost warm. I had a range of reloads to try out, some factory ammo, and an interesting case of guns, including some out for their first run. How lucky can you get?

Next it was time to get out the new gun - 2014 Sig Sauer P226 Elite Stainless. A downright handsome gun, fantastic sights and fantastic trigger. A pure joy to shoot. Just listening to the slide rack is a pleasure. Snick! Targets at 15 yds were tight and on centre. Well pleased with the purchase to say the least. 100 rounds.
    I have a Sig P226 Elite, also Stainless, born on date of Feb 2018, that I acquired last June. Have to agree....a wonderful handgun to shoot. The grips feel just right for these big paws of mine. Last fall, several of us met on the 100 yard course and took turns ringing a metal target (18x12, 500AR) with our 9's and 45's. My eyes aren't good enough to shoot iron sights at that distance, but I'm told there were some belly wounds (paper target behind the steel). A young lady in our group who shoots Rifle matches at Camp Perry and frequently brings home the gold, got an early wedding present of shooting the Elite and out of a magazine load, she rang the steel target 14 times. I try to avoid shooting with the youngsters, they humble us old pharts with skills we've lost over the years.

The short end of the story is take your Elite out further. She'll handle it. BTW, these were factory 124 JHPs.
    Curt360, jeepnut and Brassmonkey like this.
    "Lord I'm not askin' to go right now but, if you call me now, I pray my remains may be found in a pile of hot brass surrounded by my dead enemies!"

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."

Retired Military: 1963-1967 U.S. Navy 1971-1987 U.S. Air Force

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    101034 times
    Sounds like you had a blast at the range. Pics???? Glad everything functioned well for you. Thanks for the range report!
    jeepnut likes this.
    I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'!

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself."
    George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    2172 times
    Here you are Curt!

Awaiting cleaning...

And the only target I grabbed a pic of was the Sig's first shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Curt360, WendyZXZ and NWDave like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2172 times
    The SIGs intro. Excuse the first few low shots!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Curt360, jeepnut and WendyZXZ like this.

Member #
    Liked
    101034 times
    SWEET! Nice pics of some great firearms, and of some fine shooting.
    I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'!

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself."
    George Washington

Links