Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Shipping handguns--any alternative to UPS & Fedex?

3K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  gearchecker 
#1 ·
The corporate world is our enemy.

#3 ·
Have a FFL ship it via Registered USPS.

In my experience, it's safer than the private transport companies, more secure, better tracked and less expensive (even including the FFL fee to handle it).

Overnight UPS or FedEX will run $100 now. Registered USPS is under $35 to most of the US.

#4 · (Edited)
Registered USPS is under $35 to most of the US.
Yes, BUT, by the time you've paid $35 or $40 to a dealer, you're almost back up to the UPS cost. If I were shipping USPS, I'd ship Priority in a flat-rate box, & take my chances. In fact, I just did that several months ago, enclosing my C&R in the hope it would "pass" if the box happened to be inspected--which is not likely to happen unless it happens to be damaged in shipment. However, I'm reluctant to make a regular habit of it.

Can anyone explain to me how this outrageous restriction was allowed to stay in effect during TWO YEARS of total control of Congress by our "friends"?

#5 · (Edited)
I shipped 2 guns recently via UPS, by me. UPS was running 40% off, it was cheaper than going thru an FFL.

With UPS you have to ship next day, but Next Day Air Saver is way less expensive than Next Day, and is fine with UPS. Difference? Air Saver is delivered later in the day. Who cares as long as the requirement is met?
Of course the receiving FFL has to be ok with accepting from a non FFL with some form of Gov’t ID, some won’t.

Then there’s the old throw it in a box and pray it gets there. :eek: I’ve had two guns shipped to my FFL vis USPS by a non FFL, a big no no.
One of the sellers just dropped the gun in a flat rate USPS box with nothing inside but the gun. I got things straight when he sent me ID for my FFL who is fine with receiving from non FFL’s.

Don’t mess with postal inspectors.

Edit: Everything is fine until it isn’t.

#6 ·
Well if your FFL charges $40 transfer fee then perhaps look for another dealer.

The fes guns I sold, I printed the USPS label (with the FFL address) got the box with packing. Brought to my FFL he checked, recorded in bound book. We taped it and USPS came and picked it up.
So it was $25 for FFL and whatever the medium Flat rate box is going for these days.

I am not driving all the way to a UPS Hub or FedEx.

#12 ·
That incident was an inside job - there were 2-3 UPS semi trucks loaded with guns from a manufacturer, and UPS was going to drive them out the next day. They caught the guys, one was a worker for the manufacturer. All guns were recovered, they hadn't even busted the seals on the trailers.

Reactions: Curt360
#16 ·
Make friends with a local FFL dealer. They're easy to find if you use gunbrokers FFL finder. Just enter your zip code and indicate the distance you want to search. Go thru the list and call a few. They're in the FFL finder for a reason. They want and need your business to succeed. Many are gunsmiths as well, and that's a good friend to make whenever possible.

I found an FFL holder here that'll ship handguns for me for $40 complete. For long guns they only charge $5 more. But, if my buyer's FFL will accept a shipment from a non-FFL holder (me) I can ship most long guns through the USPS for roughly $35. To receive a gun it's $40 into my hands for either hand guns or long guns, including the mandatory Federal and Tennessee Background checks.

Reactions: Curt360 and jeepnut
#27 ·
Make friends with a local FFL dealer. .
You're exactly right. I have bought, sold and had a local pawn shop receive guns for me and I needed to send one in for repair last year. I went to him last summer to get him to send it in and he completed the paperwork and had me drop it off at the post office. H wouldn't accept any money for doing it for me. Unfortunately, he is going to retire in April.

#18 ·
Thanks for explaining it, Gunhacker. My reason for shipping was repair work, so the gun would have to be returned to me, doubling the cost. Just ain't worth it.
If you are sending a gun of yours directly to an FFL holder/gunsmith for repair work, in most states they can legally return the gun directly to you, without gong thru another FFL dealer. As long as the chain of possession isn't broken between both of you, then a secondary transfer isn't required. The feds have never required that, it's strictly a state requirement.

Reactions: Injunbro
#22 ·
If you are sending a gun of yours directly to an FFL holder/gunsmith for repair work, in most states they can legally return the gun directly to you, without gong thru another FFL dealer.
I understand that, but the outrageous shipping cost remains the same. Don't know how pistolsmiths are getting enough work to stay in business, if they're dependent on work sent by mail.

#19 · (Edited)
What you did was a felony. When a FFL ships a handgun via the USPS, he needs to supply a specific form to the USPS when he ships the gun
No, that isn't true.
The post office only requires a copy of the FFL holders license be given to them when the box is dropped off to them, and a copy of the shippers FFL's license inside the box with the firearm. I've done this dozens of times without any hassle from the USPS, or the receiving FFL dealers.
Just ship it Priority Mail. I've also done it twice in the past 2 months, so I know what I'm talking about here.

Not even a state law can supersede the US Postal Services regulations of shipping firearms. Federal law takes precedent in this case.

#26 ·
#20 ·
If I were shipping USPS, I'd ship Priority in a flat-rate box, & take my chances. In fact, I just did that several months ago, enclosing my C&R in the hope it would "pass" if the box happened to be inspected--which is not likely to happen unless it happens to be damaged in shipment. However, I'm reluctant to make a regular habit of it.
In the eyes of the USPS, a C&R license is the required FFL's license, as long as the item being shipped is specifically covered under the sellers or receivers C&R License.

I am totally amazed how so many people that have guns, have no real idea what it takes to ship guns, and/or ammunition.
I'd guess that well less than 1 in a thousand of us that have guns, know how to do it legally, and easily.
I've been buying and selling guns and plenty of ammunition for the past 15 years. It's incredibly easy once you know what the true regulations are, and you follow them to the letter.
Ask any member here that's received a gun or some ammo from me just how easy it was. And ask any here that have sold me a gun how easy it is once they've learned how to do it the right way.
Heck, I've even given away ammo here as Karma gifts when there was no ammo (especially 22 LR ammo) to be found.

Reactions: lawdog
#21 ·
Actually, acceptance of the C&R FFL varies by postmaster. The regulations are not clear, referring to a "FFL Business". Of course, by definition, C&R license holders are not businesses.

#23 · (Edited)
What outrageous shipping costs?? It sounds like you're at the mercy of somebody giving you the goods. And it doesn't sound like you're looking for a less expensive alternative. Outrageous expenses are at the hand of the person people allowed to charge those fees.
Don't settle for whatever is first handed out. Do some homework, and find a lower cost to ship. The tools to do so are free, and easily at anybody's hand, simply by doing some internet research.
Unless you live out in the middle of nowhere, there will be multiple FFL holders that you should be able to work with to get better shipping and transfer costs.
I live in Knoxville, and the list is roughly 100 FFL holders within 25 miles of here. I used to live in Northern Idaho, east of Spokane, and I had 11 different FFL holders I've done business with over the past 15 years. There were 4 I used regularly, the others were just in case one of my regulars wasn't available at the time, or I needed something special shipped, or received.

A Priority Mail package sized to mail a handgun costs roughly $20 to anywhere in the US. Find an FFL holder that will handle the transfer for you for $20 more, and it's easily 1/2 the cost or more to mail the gun out. For a long gun, mail it out yourself. Long guns are more $$ to mail, but you don't need an FFL dealer on the outgoing end.

Have the gunsmith doing the work for you send you 2 copies of his license. One for the box, and the other to give to the post office. It's not nearly as hard, or as expensive as you're making it out to be.

#24 ·
Unless you live out in the middle of nowhere, there will be multiple FFL holders that you should be able to work with to get better shipping and transfer costs.
Northern NY (many may be surprised to hear) pretty much IS "the middle of nowhere." 45 m. to the nearest Walmart. 25 m. to the nearest FFL: one operating out of his home charges $35, the other with a storefront, $50. Used to be many other home-based FFLs, but the Clinton FFL crackdown put them out of business. If I was only buying a gun, the cost would be tolerable, but as I said, a repair job requires two-way shipment.

#25 ·
Looks like there are few options. Either you can find a better way to ship or stop repairing. The only other option is to move. If you LOOK closer you might find that there are more people with FFL's than you think. Even where I live which is in the sticks there is over 25 of them! Most of them are home operations.

#30 ·
Unfortunately, in many cases those skills die with them...

But... there is hope. A young Marine, fresh from his service overseas, has returned to civilian status (there are no ex-Marines) and opened an outstanding gun shop about a mile from my home.

He was armor trained in the service, and does moderate levels of work in the shop.

That, and there's always a coffee pot going...

When you live in a remote area, it can be difficult to find a nearby FFL. Also realize that the shipping companies add on additional fees when you live remotely. Try returning a RIA to Pahump, Nevada for a Fedex shock.

#32 ·
My FFL only charges me the actual shipping costs to send a gun and $25 to receive a gun for me. The "actual shipping costs" thru USPS is usually about $25-$35 depending on amount of insurance. I consider myself blessed on this! Of course, I do a lot of regular business with this particular gunshop. If you want a favor, you have to give a favor!

#33 ·
Did you ship handguns or long guns. The law is completely different regarding the 2

I've mailed and shipped out so many guns, and so much ammo I don't even think about what I need to do anymore. It's all in permanent muscle memory now.
I can't mail any handguns now that I'm here in Tennessee. When I was in Idaho I did under my FFL's banner. He added me to his list of allowed shippers, so it was never an issue.
I've always shipped out long guns myself thru the post office. I bought 50 - 6" X 6" X 48" long gun boxes from U-Line so I wouldn't run out for a very long time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.