Like Tree24Likes

Thread: All 4 S&W catalogs now! Super happy

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27423 times

All 4 S&W catalogs now! Super happy

I just received my 1st edition of the S&W catalog. Now I have all 4 editions. I can't be more pumped to have the full set now.
    If I can only be young again, so I could remember all of the stuff I've read in these amazing reference books.
    I do find it interesting how much more information is brought forth as each Edition came out.
    Name:  4 S&W catalogs.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  113.2 KB
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!

http://www.corneredcat.com

Member #
    Liked
    18610 times
    Neat, I have the 2nd edition.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    9477 times
    Doesn't the 4th have all the info from the previous 3?
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27423 times
    Doesn't the 4th have all the info from the previous 3?
    I really don't know, but it doesn't really matter. I believe there is some information that wasn't carried over from each edition to the other. There may be small changes, but having all 4 editions is just cool!
    Boriqua, delcrossv and DrDoctor like this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.

Member #
    Liked
    9477 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gearchecker View Post
    I really don't know, but it doesn't really matter. I believe there is some information that wasn't carried over from each edition to the other. There may be small changes, but having all 4 editions is just cool!
    Agreed. Yes, it is.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    38557 times
    I have the 3rd, but having them all would be cool. Just comparing their value estimates an a model from each would reveal trends as to what guns were more popular in the different eras
    Curt360 likes this.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27423 times
    Another huge difference is the type and quality of the paper used to print these books. The 1st edition is printed on the older paper, much like a Louis L'amour book. The paper is more coarse and has "personality" like older books from the 50's and 60's has. Also, the entire book is printed in black and white, not a color photo in it at all. And as Jonesy mentioned, the pricing is quite a bit different with each edition.

Many of the photos have changed, and some of the photos used in 1st edition aren't there any longer. On the model 41 in the first edition they list a model with a sliding front sight that was used to increase the sight distance for better target accuracy. That photo is now gone.
    The 1st edition also had 5 price categories for each gun, and the 3rd and 4th only list 3 prices for many of the guns.
    Last edited by gearchecker; 03-03-2020 at 04:08 PM.
    delcrossv likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    29126 times
    I only have the 3rd edition. I gave my copy of the 2nd edition to fellow forum member Critter, who by the way I haven't seen here in a very long time. I should call him to see if all is well.
    gearchecker likes this.
    “So son, explain again exactly why there’s a stripper in your bedroom?"

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27423 times
    This past Tuesday I was going through my library here at home and I discovered another copy of the 1st edition S&W catalog. This one is in mint condition, and has never been opened. Now I know I'm not crazy, but I can't recall exactly when I got it.
    A couple years ago I bought a bunch of S&W books from a member here, and it might have been part of that purchase. He did throw in a couple of books for free because I bought so many from him. Maybe this was one of them.
    At any rate I'm going to part with one of these in the near future. If you may be interested in it, keep your eyes open, my post to part with it may surprise a few of you.

Regards,
    Gregory

Member #
    Liked
    4560 times
    Bought a 1st edition on the cheap at a sale a few years ago. Nobody else was interested. Got my copy of the 3rd edition 10 years ago, shortly after joining the forum. It is falling apart from overuse! Time to buy the 4th.

John
    gearchecker likes this.
    If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law. Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links