Hillybilly Headspace Gauage (Injunbro)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Hillybilly Headspace Gauage (Injunbro)

Member #
    Liked
    8127 times

Hillybilly Headspace Gauage (Injunbro)

I cut out a business card to fit flush on the bolt face on my 03a3 spring per Injunbro's info. Slid a resized empty case in the chamber and put fairly light pressure to close bolt. Bolt would not close.......
    I am fairly sure that I do have the correct bolt mated to the rifle......but no excessive headspace....
    Being from WV..the Hillybilly Headspace Gauge goes in my tool box
    Thanks Injunbro...............

Member #
    Liked
    5162 times
    That Injunbro is one clever guy!
    lawdog, Curt360, Injunbro and 3 others like this.
    Have A Good One,
    Rob

He that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Jesus

‘Twern’t be no good if it wasn’t loaded! John Wayne

I invest in Lead, Brass and Copper. Me

Member #
    Liked
    14596 times
    He ought to know sumthin'..........he's been around the block.....probably a million times!!!!! I think he's ready for a wheel chair by now. Bob
    Curt360, Cliff, paulwv and 5 others like this.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    60000 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    He ought to know sumthin'..........he's been around the block.....probably a million times!!!!! I think he's ready for a wheel chair by now. Bob

But I'm still 10 years younger than Bob & my wheelchair is 4 wheel drive w/ mud tires...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    14596 times
    Gee....I have an AWD RAV4 with Geolander GO15 AT tires! Yeah, I've seen those 4wd wheelchairs........ with the knobby Off Road bicycle tires. Bob
    Injunbro likes this.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    60000 times
    My current 4wd wheelchair is a Toyota Tacoma that replaced the Jeep Rubicon - both have seats or "chairs" & "wheels" therefore qualify as wheelchairs... & I's still 10 years younger than Bob (but look 20 years younger).
    Minorcan likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26370 times
    Ummmmmm.... Headspace is measured in 1,000ths of an inch.

Assuming that the case was fire formed on another gun's chamber, what was it's headspace? (variable one)

How much does humidity and prior compression impact the thickness of the cardboard in a business card? (variables two and three)

The field gauge is about $35.

Emergency medical transport and treatment cost a few thousand times more.

I bought the gauge, not the story.

Sorry, I'm kinda old school on this stuff.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    60000 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
    Ummmmmm.... Headspace is measured in 1,000ths of an inch.

Assuming that the case was fire formed on another gun's chamber, what was it's headspace? (variable one)

How much does humidity and prior compression impact the thickness of the cardboard in a business card? (variables two and three)

The field gauge is about $35.

Emergency medical transport and treatment cost a few thousand times more.

I bought the gauge, not the story.

Sorry, I'm kinda old school on this stuff.

When I built custom rifles I used the correct gauges, however in this case he wasn't building anything, just not sure which bolt fit which rifle. A hillbilly headspace gauge is a field expedient method of checking to see if it's tight enough to be safe. By the way slightly excessive headspace won't cause a rifle to explode & require "Emergency medical transport and treatment", it might cause a split case. Figure it out.
    Minorcan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    I've done something similar with handguns. I carefully Mic a fired case. Then use automotive type feeler gauges instead of the business card. Length of case + feeler gauge thickness= headspace. With rifles, I guess I'd have to spring for actual gauges.
    Injunbro likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    226 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Injunbro View Post
    By the way slightly excessive headspace won't cause a rifle to explode & require "Emergency medical transport and treatment", it might cause a split case.
    Here's my reply (on the Winchester forum, where I'm "Clarence") to someone asking recently what to do about a M. '95 Winchester in .30-06 with "excessive" (whatever that means) headspace:

"This is why some loading manuals, such as Ken Water's, recommend "down-loading" .30-06 to .30-40 Krag pressure levels in '95s--the '95's rear lock-up allowed the action & cases to stretch excessively. There's no quick-fix--the barrel will have to be set back, if headspace is really unsafe. But is it? How badly do fired cases stretch? As long as you're not getting incipient head separations, & use lower pressure reloads, the gun may be safe to continue shooting."

My point: don't panic--take time to analyze the situation.
    Last edited by Adirondacker; Today at 12:39 AM.
    Injunbro likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links