Is A .44 Magnum Too Much For A Concealed Carry?
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree230Likes

Thread: Is A .44 Magnum Too Much For A Concealed Carry?

Member #
    Liked
    23 times

Question Is A .44 Magnum Too Much For A Concealed Carry?

I've been contemplating selling my S&W 15-3 (2"barrel), and replacing it with an S&W .44 magnum, maybe the model 629 deluxe or the model 69.

I like that they are single/double action, I just don't like the weight of either, I've looked at both of them in person at my local shop and they are quite weighty...

Oops, did I put this in the wrong category?

Member #
    Liked
    2110 times
    Is it too heavy.

Not if that is what you choose to carry.

bob
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the night, but set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob R View Post
    Is it too heavy.

Not if that is what you choose to carry.

bob
    Like breaking in a new pair of boots, how long (on average), does it take before you become accustomed to it and it's no longer a strain?

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Between Elephant Breath MT. and Squaw's Ankle N.M.
    Liked
    20942 times
    You better have a good GUN BELT and holster. It is pretty big and heavy for concealed carry, not to mention a little bit more power than is needed for anything but hunting.

That Model 15 is a hard gun to beat. I sure wouldn't trade it off.
    The more I'm around people, the more I like sheep, and I hate sheep.

Member #
    Liked
    14571 times
    It is too heavy to carry, unless you needed it to kill a Grizzly Bear! Where do you live.....Northern Montana? Why are you even considering it? After the first time.......you'll be leaving it behind!!! The M-15-3 2" with +P ammo, should handle just about any medium sized game or person. Think .....before you buy something! I usually carry a 2" M-10-7 or, in summer a M-36 2". Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    6742 times
    My woods concealed carry handgun is a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum. I carry it in a leather pancake style holster @ 3:00 and speed loaders @ 9:00 on my belt covered by an untucked garment. If I carried it in urban areas, I would load it with .44 specials. I prefer a government model 1911 or 4" .357 magnum revolver for urban carry.
    Sportymonk and BonitaBob like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

Member #
    Liked
    59965 times
    Concealing a .44 ought to be "interesting"... A .44 is a good hunting or defense for large animals but not well suited to carry or defense against 2 legged varmints (over penetration, slow 2nd or 3rd shots, etc.). Whether you buy a .44 or not, I wouldn't sell the 15.
    Bob K, bearcat6, Iggy and 10 others like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    10467 times
    Having carried a cut-down 1917 and on very rare occasions a Sheriff's Model SAA in .44 WCF, yeah it can be done. Should you do it? All depends.....
    Sportymonk and Oldgungeezer like this.

Member #
    Liked
    14571 times
    ll depends ....if you want to walk funny....leaning to the right!!!! Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    It is too heavy to carry, unless you needed it to kill a Grizzly Bear! Where do you live.....Northern Montana? Why are you even considering it? After the first time.......you'll be leaving it behind!!! The M-15-3 2" with +P ammo, should handle just about any medium sized game or person. Think .....before you buy something! I usually carry a 2" M-10-7 or, in summer a M-36 2". Bob
    'For me', the .38 round is a bit deficient in stopping power, I want there to be no doubt, a caliber that on the very first shot will put a man (anywhere on the body), down without question and have the same power at a distance if needed...
    Sportymonk likes this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links