I've just realized something about my attitude to Colt firearms - and S&W to a degree
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: I've just realized something about my attitude to Colt firearms - and S&W to a degree

Member #
    Liked
    1828 times

I've just realized something about my attitude to Colt firearms - and S&W to a degree

This is not intended to be a provocative post, nor is it in any way intended as disrespect to Colt firearms. I just realized something about myself, along the lines of the recent "Ever feel like Quitting?" thread. You may recall my recent post asking about the New Frontier 45 SAA. As I pondered this revolver and looked at the price I came to a conclusion that surprised even myself. I didn't want this modern Colt at that price, or in fact at any price. This stocked me.

I have come to realize that there is something very special about owning, handling and shooting a Colt, but for me this ends in the 1950s somewhere. I love OLD Colts, in just the same way I love old Harleys. Again, I have no interest in post- Shovelhead Harleys and see the company as a purveyor of vintage bikes. (and I want the real ones) I see the Colt the same way. As the Boomers die off I think both companies may find themselves in trouble finding buyers.

There are new guns in my safe, some from old companies. Walther for example. Nothing coming out of Colt right now interests me. I was like a shocking thing to admit to even myself.

Here's another revelation. While I see my Ubertis and Cimmarons as "Colt clones" that I can shot, there are some revolvers that I see as fine designs in there own rights entirely, guns that are just as good or better (for my purposes) than a Colt. For example the Ruger Vaquero and Blackhawk. They are the evolution of the revolver. Very well made and finished, solid and a joy to look at and shoot.

Yes - they are cheaper and some of you will say you get what you pay for, and Colts are special and apart. Is this true? I think Colts are special but I also think the market has overheated and anything with the Rampant Colt on it goes for ... perhaps silly money right now. Again - I left the Harley Owners Group for the same reasons. Big money posers wobbling down the road in new leathers, smelling like a equine tack shop. They just wanted to ride five miles to a coffee shop and pose in their leathers looking like a pirate. They discovered Harley and killed it.

So - for less than the cost of the New Frontier - I have TWO Ruger Vaqueros in Bisley trim, polished stainless, original boxes and paperwork (because they're new!) with bonded ivory fluer-de- lis stocks. Some will say "if you're happy that's all that matters" in a tone that means it. Some will say it in a tone that means "if you can't tell the difference then I'll be polite". I get that. What I do know is that they are handsome guns that will outlast me thousands of rounds later.

In conclusion, I think I treasure my old Colt and S&W revolvers even more after this new realization, but for me the doors closed on them as companies some time ago.

When the government releases the Vaquero I will post a few pictures.

Thanks for listening to an old fart.
    jeepnut, jonesy814, KZero and 13 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    28055 times
    Not a big Colt fan. Once upon a time they were the thing to get, but that time has passed.

Member #
    Liked
    5442 times
    Panheads forever!

Name:  f1963_Harley_Davidson_FLH_Duo_Glide_Panhe_5b6960fb93dfb.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  67.3 KB
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1828 times
    Wow - beautiful pan! Love it.

Member #
    Liked
    3720 times
    I understand exactly how you feel, and I agree.
    Curt360, jeepnut, Nrah and 1 others like this.
    Kenny

Member #
    Liked
    5442 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
    Wow - beautiful pan! Love it.
    Yeah. Wish it were mine. Trapped between Wife vs. Bike
    jeepnut likes this.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    6667 times
    I agree 100%. If people don't like what you shoot thats their problem. I have not owned a Colt anything in years and probably won't in the future.
    Curt360 and Nrah like this.

Member #
    Liked
    62759 times
    I agree with a lot of what you say as I have some older colts but the Official Police, Police Positive, Detective Special, and my only Snake gun, the Cobra. I like shooting them like my older Smiths but many are just too expensive for me (Snakes, SAA etc). I have a 2nd gen Colt SAA and I do like it and shoot it. I have seen and held some of the newer Colts and Smith & Wessons and to me they just do not have the feel of the older ones nor the quality finish to me.
    I have several Ruger Blackhawks and a Vaquero, and they have really brought my respect and just plain enjoyment of the SA guns to a new level. The Ubertis I have and the J.P. Sauer & Sohne are quality guns by themselves even though very affordable.
    This is a good post for reflection. Thanks.
    Curt360 and KZero like this.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    1828 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepnut View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you say as I have some older colts but the Official Police, Police Positive, Detective Special, and my only Snake gun, the Cobra. I like shooting them like my older Smiths but many are just too expensive for me (Snakes, SAA etc). I have a 2nd gen Colt SAA and I do like it and shoot it. I have seen and held some of the newer Colts and Smith & Wessons and to me they just do not have the feel of the older ones nor the quality finish to me.
    I have several Ruger Blackhawks and a Vaquero, and they have really brought my respect and just plain enjoyment of the SA guns to a new level. The Ubertis I have and the J.P. Sauer & Sohne are quality guns by themselves even though very affordable.
    This is a good post for reflection. Thanks.
    Thanks. 35-40 reads and utter silence over on the Colt forum, but to be expected I guess. Glad to hear you're enjoying your Ruger revolvers. One of my earliest shooting experiences was a Single Six.
    jeepnut likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4834 times
    I feel the same way. I have lots of Ruger SA's.........If you really want a revolver that will "smoke" a Colt SAA........Get a Uberti "EL PATRON". I have a Python from the custom shop That my wife bought me in 1980 for $480.00.........To me that's about what it should be worth today........The prancing pony is not worth big $$$. And Colt has deserted the civilian market several times when they got big gov. contracts. First time was during the vietnam war. Lots of us haven't forgot those times either.
    Injunbro, jeepnut, NWDave and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links