Smith And Wesson Forums banner

I've just realized something about my attitude to Colt firearms - and S&W to a degree

4K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  Bob K 
#1 ·
I've just realized something about my attitude to Colt firearms - and S&W to a degree

This is not intended to be a provocative post, nor is it in any way intended as disrespect to Colt firearms. I just realized something about myself, along the lines of the recent "Ever feel like Quitting?" thread. You may recall my recent post asking about the New Frontier 45 SAA. As I pondered this revolver and looked at the price I came to a conclusion that surprised even myself. I didn't want this modern Colt at that price, or in fact at any price. This stocked me.

I have come to realize that there is something very special about owning, handling and shooting a Colt, but for me this ends in the 1950s somewhere. I love OLD Colts, in just the same way I love old Harleys. Again, I have no interest in post- Shovelhead Harleys and see the company as a purveyor of vintage bikes. (and I want the real ones) I see the Colt the same way. As the Boomers die off I think both companies may find themselves in trouble finding buyers.

There are new guns in my safe, some from old companies. Walther for example. Nothing coming out of Colt right now interests me. I was like a shocking thing to admit to even myself.

Here's another revelation. While I see my Ubertis and Cimmarons as "Colt clones" that I can shot, there are some revolvers that I see as fine designs in there own rights entirely, guns that are just as good or better (for my purposes) than a Colt. For example the Ruger Vaquero and Blackhawk. They are the evolution of the revolver. Very well made and finished, solid and a joy to look at and shoot.

Yes - they are cheaper and some of you will say you get what you pay for, and Colts are special and apart. Is this true? I think Colts are special but I also think the market has overheated and anything with the Rampant Colt on it goes for ... perhaps silly money right now. Again - I left the Harley Owners Group for the same reasons. Big money posers wobbling down the road in new leathers, smelling like a equine tack shop. They just wanted to ride five miles to a coffee shop and pose in their leathers looking like a pirate. They discovered Harley and killed it.

So - for less than the cost of the New Frontier - I have TWO Ruger Vaqueros in Bisley trim, polished stainless, original boxes and paperwork (because they're new!) with bonded ivory fluer-de- lis stocks. Some will say "if you're happy that's all that matters" in a tone that means it. Some will say it in a tone that means "if you can't tell the difference then I'll be polite". I get that. What I do know is that they are handsome guns that will outlast me thousands of rounds later.

In conclusion, I think I treasure my old Colt and S&W revolvers even more after this new realization, but for me the doors closed on them as companies some time ago.

When the government releases the Vaquero I will post a few pictures.

Thanks for listening to an old fart.

See less See more
#8 ·
I agree with a lot of what you say as I have some older colts but the Official Police, Police Positive, Detective Special, and my only Snake gun, the Cobra. I like shooting them like my older Smiths but many are just too expensive for me (Snakes, SAA etc). I have a 2nd gen Colt SAA and I do like it and shoot it. I have seen and held some of the newer Colts and Smith & Wessons and to me they just do not have the feel of the older ones nor the quality finish to me.
I have several Ruger Blackhawks and a Vaquero, and they have really brought my respect and just plain enjoyment of the SA guns to a new level. The Ubertis I have and the J.P. Sauer & Sohne are quality guns by themselves even though very affordable.
This is a good post for reflection. Thanks.

#9 ·
Thanks. 35-40 reads and utter silence over on the Colt forum, but to be expected I guess. Glad to hear you're enjoying your Ruger revolvers. One of my earliest shooting experiences was a Single Six.

#10 ·
I feel the same way. I have lots of Ruger SA's.........If you really want a revolver that will "smoke" a Colt SAA........Get a Uberti "EL PATRON". I have a Python from the custom shop That my wife bought me in 1980 for $480.00.........To me that's about what it should be worth today........The prancing pony is not worth big $$$. And Colt has deserted the civilian market several times when they got big gov. contracts. First time was during the vietnam war. Lots of us haven't forgot those times either.

#11 ·
Yes. Right on target, Chris.
And, for you, a shot of The Brass Monkey in the heart of New Orleans French Quarter.
Standing Window Building Architecture Street

#12 ·
IMNVHO Colt has been way overpriced for decades & new S&W's aren't what they used to be either. I have owned Colts but sold them when the prices doubled & replaced them w/ better quality Beretta Stampedes, Rugers, Cimarron's & Ubertis. Some of us remember when Colt sold their old tooling to Uberti & bought parts from them which they assembled & marked then sold for inflated prices. S&W w/ their 2 piece barrels don't impress me @ all nor does their plan of letting the customer inspect the end product & send it back if it's not up to spec. (probably makes the end product cheaper but I want quality in a defense gun).

#13 ·
I fully agree with you . for the last 15 years or so Colt has slipped into making guns no one wants or if the do they cannot afford. The UNIONS and the State of Conn. have ruined COLT. Now Colt is not going to sell its AR 15's to civilians? Colt came out with the King Cobra. We got one in the for sale and its just been sitting there. Hardly anybody is buying Colt products. Even in the .45's Government Models Ruger , Springfirld Armory, Kimber, and even Smith Wesson are making better quality .45's than Colt. The SAA is no longer made, Python Gone! and they will never make it again. The Diamond Back is GONE Colt sold the trade name to another company.

Colt is a firearm company that has outlived it usefulness. It cannot any longer make a quality firearm at a price that the common shooter can afford to buy or wants. They should have moved to Tennessee when they had the chance. To late now. Even the Rampant Colt from the top of the building has been sold. to pay off bankruptcy !!

#18 ·
A lot of truth and insight in these posts. I do not own a "snake" gun and cannot imagine doing so at current prices. I do have a couple of Colt Officers Model match revolvers in .38, (really should to sell one) and they have very smooth actions and are accurate, but one was made in '56 and one in '60, so that puts them in the older category to me. Only modern Colts I own are my 2 Gold Cups and they are very nice.

#20 ·
Colt is off my radar. Period.
Great post. However, I can't equate the S.A.A. with a Ruger, not the weight, balance, ... The clones you mention, Uberti, Cimmaron,Dakota etc..(FEEL) and shoot like an 1873 but the Ruger is (to me) a totally different animal. The Ruger is superior mechanically but there is something missing that is very unique, specific, and lacking in the Rugers. For me Ruger Redhawk best for 4 legged predators but I'll stick with the 1873 clones otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ternps0JFwo

#21 ·
Colt still produces a quality Government Model from their custom shop for less money than you would pay for a Kimber. Maybe not as inexpensive as a Ruger or Remington, but not much more. Their single actions are getting expensive when you can find them, but for me the finish coming out of the custom shop is very good, much better than the brown box guns from the late 70’s to the 2000’s. Thankfully I have all I want or can shoot so I don’t really look anymore. There isn’t a new double action revolver built now that I would consider. Hillary holes, two piece barrels, funky lines. They don’t interest me. Stay away from the over priced and not worth it snake guns and there are some good bargains on Colt revolvers out there.

#22 · (Edited)
I do enjoy my mid-sixties Colt SAA's (3 of them) and my Heavy Duty (1931) along with my model 520 ( a newer version of the Heavy Duty) and now added a 39-2 from 1972. Yeah I prefer older guns. I think your right about us baby boomers when we die off, will Colt and Harley continue. I think they will have to lower their prices a lot. Who wants to pay nearly $1800 for a new Colt SAA? I don't and wont. If it wasn't for military contracts Colt would be gone. I have too say Rugers just don't interest me for the most part, and I don't own one. But I did see a Ruger Bearcat that I liked.

#23 ·
Colt is no different than any other company that doesn't keep up with demand.
They counted on their reputation when all others are making plastics and conceal carry firearms.
They lost the LEO customers since they don't have the g gun.
Everyone makes 1911's and AR's that are affordable, Colt has a few brand loyalist that can't keep a company a float.
Companies have made Colt knockoffs less expensive and Colt stayed the same.
Colt should have learned from Harley Davidson during their AMF days.
S&W kept up with demand, but some firearms have taken a hit with QC and customers remember.
They are their own worst enemies.

#24 · (Edited)
Brassmonkey, thanks for starting this outstanding thread. I'm also an old fart who appreciates the craftsmanship and quality that went into producing real metal and wood firearms. I agree that the current prices on Colts borders on the ridiculous, while the quality borders on average. I have always been a fan of S&W, and own more than 20, however, I also think the current S&W products are OK; not great.

As Americans I think we sometimes forget about some of the high quality firearms produced around the world, since they don't wear the S&W, Colt, High Standard, etc. labels.

Ok, time for me to get off my soapbox, before I fall off.
Joel

PS: Just for the fun of it I did a quick count and found that I own firearms that were produced in 16 different countries.
J

#25 ·
I started shooting handguns with the original Ruger ,22 Standard Auto Mk1. I also had several .22 rifles by Savage and a Remington 66. Then, I bought a S&W M-67 for woods carry, and home defense. I'm still a fan of the .38 Spl. cartridge, being fairly powerful, accurate, and cheaper to shoot. I liked a revolver, and got several more S&W .38 revolvers (M-36 & M-10-7 2") and also got a S&W K-22, that I shot a lot. (Traded off my Rugers) I sold the K-22....it was too heavy to shoot after I tore my rotator cuff in 2000.

I not impressed by the changes at S&W, so I bought my Ruger Semi-autos, SR22 and LC9s, and I'm happy I did. I love to shoot again! But....I don't get to the range as much as I used to. :( I shoot , mostly, bowling pins and targets for SD training. I keep my older, late 70's S&W's as my 'collectables' that I shoot sometimes, too. I still have most of my long guns for hunting, but I sold off all my old Military conversions.

I got about what I need, now, and NOBODY IS GOING TO TAKE THEM AWAY!!!!! kjbnfafoPNGNPnbvoALOjagap[a Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.