I've just realized something about my attitude to Colt firearms - and S&W to a degree
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: I've just realized something about my attitude to Colt firearms - and S&W to a degree

Member #
    Liked
    5312 times
    Colt still produces a quality Government Model from their custom shop for less money than you would pay for a Kimber. Maybe not as inexpensive as a Ruger or Remington, but not much more. Their single actions are getting expensive when you can find them, but for me the finish coming out of the custom shop is very good, much better than the brown box guns from the late 70’s to the 2000’s. Thankfully I have all I want or can shoot so I don’t really look anymore. There isn’t a new double action revolver built now that I would consider. Hillary holes, two piece barrels, funky lines. They don’t interest me. Stay away from the over priced and not worth it snake guns and there are some good bargains on Colt revolvers out there.
    If you can't be who you are, then you don't exist.

Member #
    Liked
    17071 times
    I do enjoy my mid-sixties Colt SAA's (3 of them) and my Heavy Duty (1931) along with my model 520 ( a newer version of the Heavy Duty) and now added a 39-2 from 1972. Yeah I prefer older guns. I think your right about us baby boomers when we die off, will Colt and Harley continue. I think they will have to lower their prices a lot. Who wants to pay nearly $1800 for a new Colt SAA? I don't and wont. If it wasn't for military contracts Colt would be gone. I have too say Rugers just don't interest me for the most part, and I don't own one. But I did see a Ruger Bearcat that I liked.
    Last edited by ussmanlovede36; 11-12-2019 at 08:54 AM.
    Brassmonkey and jeepnut like this.

Member #
    Liked
    14813 times
    Colt is no different than any other company that doesn't keep up with demand.
    They counted on their reputation when all others are making plastics and conceal carry firearms.
    They lost the LEO customers since they don't have the g gun.
    Everyone makes 1911's and AR's that are affordable, Colt has a few brand loyalist that can't keep a company a float.
    Companies have made Colt knockoffs less expensive and Colt stayed the same.
    Colt should have learned from Harley Davidson during their AMF days.
    S&W kept up with demand, but some firearms have taken a hit with QC and customers remember.
    They are their own worst enemies.
    Brassmonkey, Bob K and jeepnut like this.
    everyone brings happiness, some by staying and some by leaving...

And As You Slide Down that Banister of Life You Should Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...

Bob.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    370 times
    Brassmonkey, thanks for starting this outstanding thread. I'm also an old fart who appreciates the craftsmanship and quality that went into producing real metal and wood firearms. I agree that the current prices on Colts borders on the ridiculous, while the quality borders on average. I have always been a fan of S&W, and own more than 20, however, I also think the current S&W products are OK; not great.

As Americans I think we sometimes forget about some of the high quality firearms produced around the world, since they don't wear the S&W, Colt, High Standard, etc. labels.

Ok, time for me to get off my soapbox, before I fall off.
    Joel

PS: Just for the fun of it I did a quick count and found that I own firearms that were produced in 16 different countries.
    J
    Last edited by jmcisc; 11-12-2019 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Additional comment
    Brassmonkey and jeepnut like this.

Member #
    Liked
    13973 times
    I started shooting handguns with the original Ruger ,22 Standard Auto Mk1. I also had several .22 rifles by Savage and a Remington 66. Then, I bought a S&W M-67 for woods carry, and home defense. I'm still a fan of the .38 Spl. cartridge, being fairly powerful, accurate, and cheaper to shoot. I liked a revolver, and got several more S&W .38 revolvers (M-36 & M-10-7 2") and also got a S&W K-22, that I shot a lot. (Traded off my Rugers) I sold the K-22....it was too heavy to shoot after I tore my rotator cuff in 2000.

I not impressed by the changes at S&W, so I bought my Ruger Semi-autos, SR22 and LC9s, and I'm happy I did. I love to shoot again! But....I don't get to the range as much as I used to. I shoot , mostly, bowling pins and targets for SD training. I keep my older, late 70's S&W's as my 'collectables' that I shoot sometimes, too. I still have most of my long guns for hunting, but I sold off all my old Military conversions.

I got about what I need, now, and NOBODY IS GOING TO TAKE THEM AWAY!!!!! Bob
    Injunbro, Brassmonkey and jeepnut like this.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Links