It is really hard to find a local nice old S&W revolver FS today

View Poll Results: Older S&W revolvers FS?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing interesting

7 26.92%
  • Why look local?

3 11.54%
  • --Not selling my stuff--

14 53.85%
  • You are not looking at the great deals on the internet

2 7.69%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: It is really hard to find a local nice old S&W revolver FS today

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9297 times

It is really hard to find a local nice old S&W revolver FS today

The forums and local ads had hundreds of very nice older S&W revolvers FS back in 2015 and before. It was a buyer's market.

I see no real market in the early 3-screw, 4-screw, and 5-screws FS today. It just died. I have no clue why?

Agree, disagree, or don't care?
    msharley, lawdog, combat and 2 others like this.
    S&W revolvers and Colt 1911's
    NRA Life Membership

Member #
    Liked
    13320 times
    Hey 1911,

Folks are holding them.

Most (like me) prefer the firing pin to be on the NOSE of the HAMMER..........where it belongs....

"New" is not always "better"....

Later, Mark
    lawdog, Curt360, Bob K and 3 others like this.
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E. Lee

Marlinitis Symptoms: More daily.

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.........

Member #
    Liked
    9570 times
    The old stuff is scarce around here and when you do see it the prices are really crazy. I did manage to buy a pre 29 this spring for a semi reasonable price but I had to talk the seller way down to get even close to reasonable. As expected the black plastic stuff and lower cost revolvers are always around. It seems to be a buyers market for that stuff but the nice old stuff takes some effort.
    1911, msharley, lawdog and 5 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    23314 times
    I don't see very many S&W revolvers for sale in my area. There are a couple area gun shops I frequently stop at to see whats new. It isn't often that they have an older S&W revolver. I see quite a few used Taurus revolvers and single action Rugers.
    There is also an area online classified that usually has 150-200 listings for handguns. I see older ones listed there on occasion and usually for too much money. Recently there was an ad for 5 or 6 S&W revolvers. They were all 4 inch, 38 special K frames. The seller wanted $500 for his refinished in nickel(according to him) pre model 10 from the 50s. He had a 64 with aftermarket grips.... also $500. That ad has been running quite a while
    msharley, lawdog, Curt360 and 1 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    25603 times
    I stay away from any with a "Hillary Hole".

But, you are right, decent older ones seem to to be getting few and far in between.
    Curt360, Bob K, msharley and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4821 times
    Demand is soft to modest overall I think, driving prices down from a couple years ago. No one wants to sell good S&Ws for peanuts.
    msharley and jeepnut like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10600 times
    I have a shop about 25 miles from me that gets some nice revolvers and semis.
    Problem is he puts all of his used firearms on Gunbroker, and then the prices skyrocket.
    I asked if he would list them on his website first for sale and he refused.
    msharley likes this.
    everyone brings happiness, some by staying and some by leaving...

And As You Slide Down that Banister of Life You Should Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...

Bob.

Member #
    Liked
    12203 times
    One or two gun shops that I still go to, do have a few older Smith's. However, the prices are high, and they aren't flexible as far as price goes. I was interested in a M-642, with a Cerakote dull grey finish, that I might have paid $450 + tax. The lowest he would go was $475 + tax!! I said "see ya'". I really don't like buy something......when I don't get a good deal. If he can be tough.....I can be tougher!!!! Bob
    msharley, jeepnut, lawdog and 1 others like this.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    4884 times
    As each wave of old folks passes on, the heirs sell their stuff. When I pass, my son will most likely sell my stuff. I think we are in a lull of old folks passing. That and the resellers don’t want to give what the gun is worth so people are holding on and waiting. Consignment shops want 20% and a lot of people don’t want to mess with the online world. As for buying. There is nothing out there that I want that bad enough to pay the amount that is being asked. My buying days are pretty much over unless I run in to that great deal.
    If you can't be who you are, then you don't exist.

Member #
    Liked
    46675 times
    I run across some older 1905 4th changes every now and then but around 1975 K.L.and N frames seem to still be hi and they are still trying to be sold. Somewhere maybe the concept that they have peaked and if you want to move it then are going to have to be more realistic on the price.
    msharley and lawdog like this.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links