Like Tree405Likes

Thread: Mountain lion kill close to home

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2355 times

Mountain lion kill close to home

Greetings all, sometimes reality sets in and those of us who live "out in the country" in this part of Arizona know we cohabit with critters that may be a little higher on the food chain than we are. It's not uncommon to see mountain lion sign this time of year and I get to see a glimpse of them every once in awhile, capable of vertical leaps 15ft+ and 30ft+ horizontal, they have my respect.

This lab/retriever mix met a very violent demise about 150 yards from my home, it could have been a drop because no one in the "neighborhood" recognized it. It had yellow teeth, meaning a soft diet, and it seemed to be clean as in not matted.

From the width of claw marks on the dogs right rear flank, the spacing of teeth puncture marks on its snout and broken neck, this was a fairly good sized lion.

Name:  Mountain LIon pet dog kill.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  613.9 KB

The right front shoulder was torn from the dog's body and was not located;

Name:  mountain lion kill.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  286.6 KB

The Mrs and I don't like seeing pet dogs meet this kind of demise, more so given that responsible ownership would have prevented this. Just because we don't see predators doesn't mean they are not there.

During warm weather I typically carry 1911/38 Super, when I see lion sign carry becomes a 686P with handloaded 140gr XTPs. Seeing four fresh wild hog poops and lion scat about 40 feet from the house this morning, it's two 1911s/10mm for carry, Government on the hip and railed Commander in a Carhartt pocket, redundancy is good.
    Huntsman, lawdog, Curt360 and 20 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5622 times
    They are sneaky, quiet, and strong. I've got great respect for them. Sad to see that pooch meet that demise. I do shake my head every time I see a "lost dog" poster here. More than likely it got carried away by a predator of some sort. Especially those little purse dogs (shudder). It's been awhile back but two wolves made an attempt at my neighbors dog. Broad daylight, less than 50 yds away from the house.

You might want to consider a lanyard for those firearms. 150 lbs of kitty starts throwing you around and you might need both hands to protect yourself.
    If you can't be who you are, then you don't exist.

Member #
    Liked
    20266 times
    They are meat eaters after all. Just so long as you aren't the 'meat', all is good. While I don't like to see any domesticated animal succumb to that demise, it's still the survival of the fittest out there and if the 'fittest' means a heater, so be it.

Amy has lost numerous cats to the song dogs here and my 22-250 with the ATN night vision scope has reduced that number quite a bit. The pelts aren't worth the trouble to remove as of late so I leave them lay and their relatives eat them for dinner. Yotes are just plain nasty critters.
    Injunbro, Bob K, lawdog and 1 others like this.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    69299 times
    I figure I am in their habitat and they are excellent hunters whether alone or in packs, that goes for all animals. So I look for signs, carry reliable and big enough guns but also learn the signs. Even when not hunting for food, I watched a family of Red Fox as the female and cub were eating and a large Raccoon started trying to move in and out of nowhere the male Red Fox in about 10 seconds had the coon down and dead. I have always thought in many cases animals are much smarter than we give them credit for.
    Leo918, BonitaBob, sp327 and 8 others like this.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I've always felt that we are in their habitat, not the other way around. Humans occupy a tiny percentage of the land mass on earth and virtually none of the sea, which covers most of the earth. We like to think of ourselves as the dominant species but in the grand scheme, we're vertually insignificant. I pretty much carry a 10mm all the time now, whether in town or out and about in the desert or mountains.
    Leo918, BonitaBob, Bob K and 10 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    63031 times

They are very quiet

jeepnut, Injunbro, Ratzo and 19 others like this.
    I'm Mr Bad Example, take a look at me.

Member #
    Liked
    1885 times
    Better the CAT than I.
    When someone shows you who they are,believe them the first time. Maya Angelo

..............................................[IMG][/IMG]

Member #
    Liked
    60090 times
    There's a lion that visits our pond @ night regularly, I see the tracks in the morning. There's also a large bobcat (40+lbs.) that hangs around, since the neighbor a 1/2 mile or so away started locking up his chickens @ earlier so (he lost 1 a night for a couple weeks) the rabbit population is way down... I'd rather have them cats around as all the rabbits, rats, mice & other vermin.
    jeepnut, Ratzo, Huntsman and 8 others like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26407 times
    I live on the edge of a wooded are about 25 miles from the Center of a large city.

My next door neighbor decided that having a pair of pet ducks was a good idea, and setup a little pond and caged area. They lasted 24 hours before magically disappearing. We have fox and coyote in the woods here.

Up in the mountains above Asheville, a friend's next door artistic neighbor was so enchanted with Japanese Koi fish (which run hundreds of dollars each) that she had a large pond and water feature constructed on the property and stocked it with over a dozen.

The Sushi bar installation was greatly enjoyed by the black bears that lived in the area within a couple of days.

And people wonder why some of us carry guns?
    Cliff, Bob K, Injunbro and 11 others like this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    14654 times
    I don't go hiking when there is ice, snow, or after it rains a lot (Too muddy!), out in the woods near my home. But, I make it a habit, to be armed with a .38 Spl when I go hiking, usually every day in better weather. It gives me comfort, should something develop, unexpectedly. You don't really know what's out there, particularly in the thick New England cover. There are Black Bears and Coyotes around, even though they avoid contact with humans. Be Prepared!!! I usually take a small knapsack, loaded with 'stuff'.....just in case. Bob
    Troll, BonitaBob, Huntsman and 7 others like this.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links