Name:  catram_zpsawpcxuhl.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  93.7 KB
    I'm Mr Bad Example, take a look at me.

Member #
    Liked
    60072 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    I only have a short barreled M-66-1 (.357), and I should carry it! But, I don't have Mountain lions, or Grizzlies, in my neck o' the woods. Out here in Western Mass. mountains, we do have Black Bear (Some in the 450-500 lb. range ), Coyotes, Feral Dogs,.......and the occasional rabid Racoon to deal with. I do carry a .38 Special S&W M-10-7 2" revolver, loaded with some 158 Gr. SWC HC reloads that I bought for 'Woods Cruising'. They should be enough around here. I don't go far into the woods anymore.

How do you tell a Mountain Lion from a Cougar, or all the other big Cats??? They all look the same to me!

Now a 9mm Ruger LC9s is my carry gun in town, and beside the bed, at night. Bob

Bob, Mountain lions, cougars & panthers (in the USA) are all different names for the same critter. They run 100-150 lbs. around here. Panthers in other countries are a different species. Jaguars are rare here but a few have wandered up from Mexico, they're colored different (spotted) & bigger. Bobcats are of course smaller & have short tails. There is a 40+ lb. bobcat that hangs around here along w/ her now grown cub. None of the wildcats here show even the slightest fear of men & total disdain for dogs (unless there's a pack of trained hounds). They (along w/ whitetails, mule deer & javelina) come in to our pond or water though every few nights. The wild cats help keep the varmints under control.
    Abby'sDad, Bob K and BonitaBob like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    17980 times
    We have a Swan that was hatched this past spring by the creek near our house. She or he started out with parents and two siblings. One day we noticed that one sibling and both parents were gone with just two siblings remaining. That's unusual because the whole family stays together until the creek starts to freeze and then they all leave together. One day I was watching one of the Swans walking near the geese and looked like it was feeding off the ground. Swans eat in the shallows and it looked like the Swan might be sick. Now only one remains and it has a goose buddy who stays with the Swan all of the time. The one left seems very healthy and is doing fine but I would sure like to know what happened to the parents and the one sibling. The thing with it's goose buddy is that geese come and go but goose buddy stays with the Swan. We do have fox in the area but I don't think that's what happen.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    14097 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Injunbro View Post
    Bob, Mountain lions, cougars & panthers (in the USA) are all different names for the same critter. They run 100-150 lbs. around here. Panthers in other countries are a different species. Jaguars are rare here but a few have wandered up from Mexico, they're colored different (spotted) & bigger. Bobcats are of course smaller & have short tails. There is a 40+ lb. bobcat that hangs around here along w/ her now grown cub. None of the wildcats here show even the slightest fear of men & total disdain for dogs (unless there's a pack of trained hounds). They (along w/ whitetails, mule deer & javelina) come in to our pond or water though every few nights. The wild cats help keep the varmints under control.
    And don't forget about the Lynx - more similar to a Bobcat than a mountain lion, but a fierce pussycat nonetheless.
    Injunbro, BonitaBob and lawdog like this.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    1977 times
    Hmmmmmmm
    Arizona authorities kill 3 mountain lions found devouring human remains
    https://www.foxnews.com/science/3-mo...-human-remains

https://www.abc15.com/news/national/...-tucson-killed
    Last edited by Boriqua; 01-02-2020 at 08:38 AM.
    BonitaBob and Injunbro like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2352 times
    That's pretty crazy, hopefully there will be a positive ID and cause of death on the deceased.

FWIW, personal carry is a Pro Series 686P with homemade 158gr Wichester JHPs low 1400s.
    Last edited by BonitaBob; 01-02-2020 at 03:12 PM.
    Boriqua, Injunbro and Bob K like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1977 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BonitaBob View Post
    That's pretty crazy, hopefully there will be a positive ID and cause of death on the deceased.

FWIW, personal carry is a Pro Series 686P with homemade 158gr Wichester JHPs low 1400s.
    Can you imagine the hiker that came up on that scene!!!!!

"Um .. I see you guys are busy .. you know devouring that human .. so I will just back out here and >>>>>>>>>>>>>"

Mine in the desert is 10mm underwood 180gr xtp at 1300!

and I am usually out with my wife and I am a good deal faster than she is!!

Member #
    Liked
    1273 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby'sDad View Post
    And don't forget about the Lynx - more similar to a Bobcat than a mountain lion, but a fierce pussycat nonetheless.
    And the rarely seen Manbearpig.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
    Injunbro and BonitaBob like this.

Member #
    Liked
    677 times
    I used to date a gal who lived close to Houston county. She saw a big black cat out there several times. I have coyotes that lay in the field next to me. Drives my youngest mutt crazy. A predator call, red or green flash light on a 15-22 is a thought. When I shine a white light on them they don't move.
    Whammo sling shot with Vortex red dot, extra power rubber band, Multi-caliber

Member #
    Liked
    60072 times
    Quote Originally Posted by murphyranch View Post
    And the rarely seen Manbearpig.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Otherwise known as Moochall 0bama.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Links