Mountain lion kill close to home
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree405Likes

Thread: Mountain lion kill close to home

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I always smile the people that tell me they want or carry a .22 to "scare off bears" or even a .38 Special.

If you need to scre them off they could be a threat. 10mm, .41 or 44 or bigger for me.

Same with Mtn Lions...or Cougars.

Had one sptted at a house//my truck was 200 yards away in the dark, and I had amy Stainless PPK/s loaded wth 95 grain ball ammo.

My Silverado had my XDM 10mm with 15 rounds of Underwood hardcast, plus two spare mags. I tend to use both JHP and HC in some mags.

When there are Bears outside your church, it's not the city life, anymore.

9mm, 10mm, .45 ACP, .45 COlt. and .44 Magnum. I chose to carry 10mm above them all.
    with my Bond Arms .45/410 loaded with JHP and a hardcast as backup.

Do they make a M&P in 10mm, yet?
    BonitaBob, Curt360 and Boriqua like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1022 times
    I was working in California when they voted against hunting them. I lived in the mountains. We rural living folks knew that mountain lions are a problem. The city DO GOODERS swayed the vote making mountain lion hunting illegal.
    BonitaBob, Curt360, lawdog and 1 others like this.

mjn
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Just a few months back, a Cougar was killed crossing the highway right here in the Tri-Cities.

We also spend a great deal of time in North Idaho, and like to hike. North Idaho is Cougar AND Grizzly country. One of our favorite places to hike has signs showing the difference between a Black Bear and a Grizzly haha!

I carry my 4 5/8" Blackhawk in .41 mag, but have been on the hunt for a 10mm that feels good in my hand. (unlike a Glock)

I think I've found it.

Like Idaho4ever, I'll soon be an owner of (my first) XD in 10MM. It probably won't pull my shorts down like the big ol' single action I've been carrying.
    BonitaBob, Curt360 and Boriqua like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    15180 times
    There were bobcats and cougars in the Sierras around Reno and Carson City. We had one come into Carson and took up a spot on the second floor of a motel and proceeded to sun himself. There were usually reports in the winter of cross country skiers being attacked (as always from above and behind) while up in the mountains.
    BonitaBob and Curt360 like this.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    60340 times
    A couple of weeks ago the dog was @ the gate barking & carrying on as if to warn us of an invading Mongol horde. My wife said "there's a coyote out there, wanna plug it so she'll shut up?" I grabbed my rifle &.... in the field across from our house - no coyote but a big kitty totally unconcerned w/ the yapping 1/2 wolf, 1/2 idiot. A 1/2 grown lion snacking on a rabbit. The interesting thing was it was black, a rare color for lions but happens on occasion. After a few minutes the lion headed up into the mountains behind our house. I didn't shoot it, anything that eats garden robbers are welcome.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2376 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Injunbro View Post
    A couple of weeks ago the dog was @ the gate barking & carrying on as if to warn us of an invading Mongol horde. My wife said "there's a coyote out there, wanna plug it so she'll shut up?" I grabbed my rifle &.... in the field across from our house - no coyote but a big kitty totally unconcerned w/ the yapping 1/2 wolf, 1/2 idiot. A 1/2 grown lion snacking on a rabbit. The interesting thing was it was black, a rare color for lions but happens on occasion. After a few minutes the lion headed up into the mountains behind our house. I didn't shoot it, anything that eats garden robbers are welcome.
    Very rare indeed of seeing a black mountain lion...could it have been a jaguar?
    Curt360 and Boriqua like this.

Member #
    Liked
    60340 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BonitaBob View Post
    Very rare indeed of seeing a black mountain lion...could it have been a jaguar?

No, a jaguar has different build & much bigger. A lion also has a fat tail, unlike any other wild cat.
    BonitaBob likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    8523 times
    I've never seen one. I've heard them, and I know we have a few in the area, but that particular cat has never crossed my path. I live in the woods on a bluff overlooking a river. I fully expect to see one, but so far I never have. I guess there is always tomorrow...
    BonitaBob, Injunbro and lawdog like this.

Member #
    Liked
    14733 times
    I only have a short barreled M-66-1 (.357), and I should carry it! But, I don't have Mountain lions, or Grizzlies, in my neck o' the woods. Out here in Western Mass. mountains, we do have Black Bear (Some in the 450-500 lb. range ), Coyotes, Feral Dogs,.......and the occasional rabid Racoon to deal with. I do carry a .38 Special S&W M-10-7 2" revolver, loaded with some 158 Gr. SWC HC reloads that I bought for 'Woods Cruising'. They should be enough around here. I don't go far into the woods anymore.

How do you tell a Mountain Lion from a Cougar, or all the other big Cats??? They all look the same to me!

Now a 9mm Ruger LC9s is my carry gun in town, and beside the bed, at night. Bob
    Last edited by Bob K; 12-31-2019 at 08:57 AM.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    15180 times
    A mountain lion IS a cougar; also called a puma in certain areas.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Links