Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Now I want some education

Member #
    Liked
    10239 times

Now I want some education

Name:  pix985316163.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  28.9 KB I have since expressing interest in a "Sheriff's Model" picked up several of these SAA clones. For years I was content with my Colt Cowboy, but no longer. Instead as I surf through various offerings I am mystified by: Taylor's (and New Taylor's), Uberti, Pietta, Pedersoli, Armi Jager, Armi San Marco, Cimarron, J.P. Sauer und Sohn (and Herter's), Mitchell, Pietta, Great Western, EMF, Beretta; und so weiter............

In addition to adding another bullet/caliber (.425/.44 WCF) to my headaches, I know neither heads nor tails of who actually makes nor what to look for in this world of SAA clones.

And, to make it interesting throw in a few pictures for entertainments sake.

Member #
    Liked
    9592 times
    Very few old revolvers strike my fancy. The Colt SA is one of them. To keep me in check..I will only buy an original.

I'm NOT saying anything against the clones/copies...it's just my way of not ending up with even more guns I need to find space for.

That's all the edjucatin I can offer..

This is one of my favorites, and at 129 yrs of age, will hang with anything else I shoot...

Name:  IMG_2144.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  3.79 MB
    Last edited by Breakaway500; 06-27-2017 at 09:08 AM.
    Ignorance is bliss

Member #
    Liked
    13861 times
    What do you intend to use this new SAA for? Collecting? Shooting?
    Collecting>I'd buy an original Colt in 44/40. one made after 1904 with the "smokeless" frame.
    Shooter gun>I'd buy the Cimmaron Model P. Uberti makes these guns and the cylinder & bore are a true .4275 diameter of the original 44/40.Note: Ruger et al makers use a 44 mag reamer which is .4295.
    If your going to reload you will get great accuracy with the proper bullet diameter.
    Hey check out Buffalo Arms for all the Cimmaron models. Also check out SnS Casting for their 44/40 cast bullets. I use the 200 gr RNFP's and Starline Brass & 8.7 grains of Unique.

Good Luck & Good Shootin!

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    24815 times
    Diabloman's post reminded me of my best friend and his younger brother who were very active in cowboy action shooting. Although they had original Colts (made after the turn of the century) they used Ubertis, I forget the name of the outfit who sells springs, WOLF springs! But that is all they did to the Ubertis and my friend is angry that the Ubertis will outshoot his original Colt.
    Last edited by Triplelock; 07-06-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    8523 times
    In the world of freshly minted Colt clones you only need to know two names ,, Uberti and Pietta . I believe they are the basis for everything rebranded by the current distributers , Taylors , Cimmaron, EMF and the newer Great Western II etc. The Beretta is a Uberti with a transfer bar and even the highly vaulted USFA colt clones spent their early years being made out of Uberti parts. I believe Armi San Marco was absorbed by Pietta but the newer made Pietta stuff is better,, and parts ,if needed can be had.
    For big ,strong and heavy don't forget American made Ruger, Virginian Dragoon , BFR, Freedom arms ,Seville and Abilene and of course Colt and the later model USFA. Most of these are not as traditional but benefit from adjustable sights. A advantage not to be overlooked in making the gun practical . Old original Great Western are collectable in their own right and I never see any.
    The German guns , Hawes, Herder's , Sauer and Sohn and Arminius are all interrelated and good solid guns.
    Last edited by needsmostuff; 06-27-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    bearcat6, Waidmann, Leo918 and 6 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10239 times
    The picture in the OP is an EMF Hartford .44-40 that the seller put up $0.01?/NR and ended up being a no brainer for this bargain hunter. We'll see.

Member #
    Liked
    9231 times
    ROBERT @ OKC USA

He who questions much learns much. - Frances Bacon
    There was a time when men were kind and their words were inviting. - Les Miserables
    Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. - Thomas Jefferson
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
    80% of success is showing up. - Woody Allen

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM.
    NON REVERTAR INULTUS.
    SPES MEA IN DEO EST.

Member #
    Liked
    10239 times
    In that role I have one of the new dual capable Redhawks. I have owned both the others.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    37302 times
    I have a bit of personal experience with a coupla SAA clones and can't speak on the others.

If you like em bigger, heavier and stronger than the original Colt's, I've had 35 plus years of good experiences with this early Virginian Dragoon in .45 Colt.....

Name:  EarlyVirginianDragoon-WesternKnife-ShoulderRig_04.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  1.86 MB

Another bigger, heavier and stronger one is this Western Arms (Uberti) .44 Magnum with adjustable sights.....

Name:  UbertiWest44Mag_06.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  2.41 MB

Regarding size, beefiness, heft............these two examples are on a par with the Ruger SBH.
    Waidmann, hogg, Injunbro and 8 others like this.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    10239 times
    I have also owned a Virginian Dragoon but in 44 Magnum, a very large very solid piece. I am still playing with the .401 Powermag but have yet to break beyond the .38-40 level to my satisfaction. If I get serious the Model 27s and the 29 will be called upon. I will always believe a S&W T^3 is the cream of single action shooting. This is purely a history/recreational diversion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links