Inexpensive home-defense shotgun light attachment
    Member #
    Liked
    28924 times

Inexpensive home-defense shotgun light attachment

My home defender happens to be a Mossberg, but this will work with just about any brand. I've been looking for ways to add low-light or zero-light aids and with no accessory rails on the weapon have been stymied. I know the son had ordered some sort of Mossberg accessory pump forend, but haven't heard if he ever received it or if it worked out, we both have similar economy models for home defense duty. Anyway I spied these on the internet and bought two, one for me and one for him. At $9 bucks apiece (plus shipping), I'm pleased with the outcome. The light I've put on it is something I had in the house and not really of tactical quality, but proves that the clamp will accomplish what I'm looking for, now to shop for a light! Anyway, thought I'd share a very simple, yet effective embellishment.

“So son, explain again exactly why there’s a stripper in your bedroom?"

Member #
    Liked
    2796 times
    I personally don't believe in a light for a HD shotgun, I can move around my house at night and the dogs, well, BUT I also have 2 Mossy shotguns. Both are well used, shop worn, but have been 100% reliable. Best bang for the buck out there.

Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kcq1 View Post
    I personally don't believe in a light for a HD shotgun, I can move around my house at night and the dogs, well, BUT I also have 2 Mossy shotguns. Both are well used, shop worn, but have been 100% reliable. Best bang for the buck out there.
    Amigos,

I used to feel the same way until I looked at my scores from a night fire exercise, both with and without a weplight. Eye opening...

These days all my serious longguns are so affixed. I like the Streamlite M3 on the XM-15E2S

... and the Surefire H16 on the 870.... note "The Beast", second from the left....

Oh and about those Mossbergs.... just a small piece of hard won experience that almost cost me dearly.... when I was first married I was a struggling young student, intern, husband and father... we didn't have a pot to pee in. Our first quarters were in a less than desirable building in a bad part of town. The only shotgun I could afford was a New Haven Glenfield 600 (a Mossberg 500 in aluminum) and I used to keep it in the bedroom closet with the mag tube full and the chamber empty. Then came the time I really needed that shotgun. My young wife with my newborn infant daughter in her arms had just gotten out of the car and were heading for the stairwell to our 2nd floor apartment. I had been studying and was upstairs watching them come home through the window. One of our less than savory neighbors who hated me and my cop pals like poison decided that this would be a great time to let his German Shepard off the leash. The dog took off for my wife and child with a snarl. My blood ran cold as all I could see was that dog tearing up my family. I grabbed that 600 and hit the door, stoking the action as I went. When I got to the bottom of the stairwell I realized that the chamber wasn't loaded and that the gun had choked on the round, the action was tied up, and I now had a 12 gauge club. The unsavory neighbor seeing me standing between his dog and my family with a shotgun in my hands getting ready to beat his dog to death decided that it would be best to call his mutt off.... Later I found that the magazine tube spring had taken a set and fubar'd the gun. So the advice here is this... either get an 870 or at the very least, upgrade your magazine tube spring and then consider downloading your mag tube by one round.... Just sayin.

Last edited by Sebago Son; 06-08-2011 at 10:57 PM.
    ".... Evil Flourishes When Good Men Do Nothing...."

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    147 times
    +1 on a riot 870. I personally wouldn't have a Mossberg. Heck, Summit Guns sells used riot 870s for $235...can't get a Mossberg for that cheap.
    [email protected] River
    S&WCA #1959

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2979 times
    My wife keeps certain lights on for what reason, so it is never totally dark in my house. For this reason I don't have a light on my gun, but I do have a good strong LED flash light handy for power outages.
    Let go of anything that stops you from having everything…DM

Dom

Member #
    Liked
    60122 times
    Nice set up BC. I think that set up would work even w/ a double barrel if it was mounted to the side.
    I agree w/ Drew, when it comes to family protection & safety I don't buy economy guns... those are for plinking. While a lot of folks say great things about them, all of the pump shotguns I've seen jam were Mossbergs and I won't own any. I trust my Ithaca pump & my son proclaims the glory of his 870 but my double-barrel 12 gauge has the advantage of being 2 guns in one, even if one barrel misfired the other trigger is a finger twitch away.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    28924 times
    Interesting comments about the Mossbergs. One of ours (sons) was bought by him when he turned 18 and JUST HAD TO BUY whatever gun he was legal to acquire without my being there! We've actually shot that one quite a bit over the years and never had a lick of trouble with it. The new one hasn't been fired except for a functional few shells to ensure that it would, but no hard test run. No problem, I've been looking for a reason to place an order to Brownells, but wanted to bundle up enough items to justify the shipping cost, here's my opportunity since they have what appear to be upgraded springs. I'll also take Drew's advice and pull off one round for good measure. As for 870's? A no-brainer as to what is superior, the son also has his work 870, the real deal, but it's always packed for transit back and forth to work. I see that CDNN has a special going right now for a $299.00, 870 "riot gun", a good buy from the sound of it for anyone looking. To be honest gents, cost really isn't an issue, I could easily upgrade, it's just that we ended up with the first one and it shot just fine, the son and I just figured to add another because of the functional results and low price tag. I've passed along to him the info about the suspect spring and potential mis-feed, so he's aware and knows I've got new springs on the way. Good stuff men, I appreciate the info!
    “So son, explain again exactly why there’s a stripper in your bedroom?"

Links