Newbie: Why is my S&W M&P Shield referred to as a Luger? Should I use 9mm Luger ammo
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Newbie: Why is my S&W M&P Shield referred to as a Luger? Should I use 9mm Luger ammo

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8368 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    You said a mouthful Forester! I just found this: https://www.corneredcat.com/article/...ber-confusion/

Is there a short list of not compatible cartridges you can share with me that I should avoid?
    This is a great article about those different calibers.

http://hunting.about.com/od/ammo/f/9mmluger9mmpara.html

The one your likely to run in to is the 9mm Markarov.
    Lost in the woods.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi Forester thanks...but for some reason that link is not working for me.

Member #
    Liked
    57417 times
    To confuse the issue even more 9 MM Luger is sometimes referred to as 9 MM Parabellum, that is a European designation for the cartridge. You will probably not run into any ammo so labeled.
    Annika likes this.
    I'm Mr Bad Example, take a look at me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    41011 times
    Me either, Shaun. Page not available.

Annika,

Short answer - if the box says 9mm Luger or 9mm Parabellum, you are good to go.....

What I gather about the history of the cartridge is (very) roughly this - Luger's earlier pistols used a 7.65 round (.32 caliber). Georg Luger then designed the Luger pistol famous for the way it's slide has a pivoting link built into it. However they called its cartridge "Parabellum" after the motto of the DWM factory which made the gun. Technically the round fired in the Luger pistol is a 9mm Parabellum (Latin for "prepare for war"). The pistol and it's round became so famous, so distinctive, the round was eventually also called the 9mm Luger, perhaps to distinguish it from other 9mm rounds, perhaps just easier to spell or maybe, with so many coming off the battlefields, people wanted "bullets for my Luger, gimme a box of Luger bullets"!

Many other 9mm rounds were designed, the Makarov which Forester speaks of, the 9mm Largo (aka .38 ACP) which was used by the Spanish in their Star Modelo M pistols, of course the Browning-inspired 9mm Kurtz (aka .380 ACP) --- ALL of which have been used since the early 1900's.... and so on. Most of the distinctions will be in case length (the Parabellum is 9mm x 19mm, the .380 is 9x17mm, Makarov is 9x18mm, and the Largo is 9x23mm, etc), and bullet profile - you will note the Parabellum bullet is more conical than many other rounds. There are MANY more details involved, worthy of a career of study if you're so inclined.

This link works for the background on the Parabellum cartridge:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9719mm_Parabellum

One last thought, I know you said you'd be back for answers specific to your gun, but another interesting thing about this site is someone somewhere probably knows the answer to almost any question you might have. For instance i asked about comfortable work boots. You know a lot of guys here actually worked hard for a living, or have spent many hours outdoors hunting and whatnot, so would know what's a good boot. They were right!
    No God, No Good.... Know God, Know Good....

Any government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have.--- Thomas Jefferson

911 Response time: 600+ seconds. 1911 response time: 800+ feet per second.

US Navy, Vietnam Vet, NRA Life Member, GOA Life Member, Hook'em Horns!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks SDISMUKES! Very interesting... I love learning and am glad to get all info on this subject even if it doesn't pertain exactly to my weapon. that article on wikipedia was pretty great...am saving that page in my bookmarks. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    Forester and sdismukes like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24609 times
    I'm a moderator over at "http://forum.lugerforum.com". When we talk about a "Luger" over there, we're really talking about the Parabellum pistol designed by Hugo Borshardt and Georg Luger.

I've just completed editing a new book being published this fall about Paul Mauser which includes some rare correspondence involving Georg Luger (who worked for Mauser at the beginning of his career with Ludwig Loewe and Co. which owned both DWM and Mauser). "Parabellum" was actually DWM's address for sending them messages by cable. It does come from the phrase: "Igitur si vis pacem, para bellum = Therefore if you want peace, prepare for war. "

The 9mm Parabellum cartridge was introduced by Luger as a military power cartridge for qualification of the pistol with the German Navy in 1904. It was one of several pistols and cartridges designed in this larger caliber. It has subsequently become one of the most popular cartridges in history.

There have been a huge number of minor "tweaks" to the cartridge design including different power levels and bullet designs. Your S&W shield pistol is probably designed to handle higher power +P loads, but I would not buy this higher power ammo while you are training. It's more expensive and harder to shoot. NATO marked 9mm Luger ammo is also higher than standard power, and was often designed for use with machine guns, so I don't recommend buying NATO power rounds either. Just buy standard velocity brass cased 9mm Luger ammo like white box Winchester.

Marc
    Last edited by mrerick; 08-10-2016 at 08:15 PM.
    Injunbro and Forester like this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Wow I love this forum...so interesting. Thanks for the info and good luck with the book Marc! but also thanks for giving me a simple answer at the end of the message - re: the white box Winchester ammo. Much appreciated! I'm picking up my new Shield from my FFL guy this weekend and all these posts are making it hard for me to wait until then. The dang guy actually went on vacation otherwise I would have had it already. LOL

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Oh hey Marc...you in NC? (Cuz your sig tag says NC DOJ CC Instructor)...I'm in CT but hubby and I are looking at NC to retire...he wants acreage to set up our own range on our property.
    Last edited by Annika; 08-10-2016 at 10:01 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27069 times
    You may also see the round identified as 9X19. Just another name for a very old cartridge.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    -Arthur C. Clarke
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.
    -Upton Sinclair
    Please do not open and post the links on my threads.
    19and41

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24609 times
    Yes - I'm in the Raleigh, NC area. Buy your place now in anticipation of retirement. I moved here 25 years ago, and have not looked back (New York and Illinois).

You'll encounter a different culture here.

As to setting up a personal range, you'll find most rural areas pretty firearm friendly. Others on the forum here have done just that. There are various geological regions in the state, many of which lend themselves to range construction. Hills or sandy areas where berms are relatively easy to construct.

Marc
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Links