hornandy tap ammo/compare to close quarters hornandy ammo

hornandy tap ammo/compare to close quarters hornandy ammo

anyone know about either of these 9mm 124gr. hornandy ammo can someone educate me

Member #
    Liked
    14015 times

Re: hornandy tap ammo/compare to close quarters hornandy amm

John, Just buy some Winchester Personal Protection at WALMART. It don't cost an arm and a leg......and will do the job. Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

thank you bob i picked up winchester super-x 115gr. silvertip, hollow point part #x9mmshp thank you 50 to a box $39.99

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    14015 times

Way to go, John!!! Buying the "Designer Ammo" is for those that can easily afford it......there are alot of them here. WALMART ammo is good enough to do the job....if you do yours.

BTW, even though Super X is not the high performance ammo anymore.........it was the top of the line for Winchester, 25 years ago. Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

thank you bob im still waiting for federal hydrashok 124gr. to come in i think thats even better right

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    39850 times

John, I like the heavier weight of the HydraShok ammunition. I am not certain if it is better but the heavier bullet should penetrate better.
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

The Hornady is decent ammo, expands a bit less and penetartes a bit more than many other 124gr 9mm loads.

Years ago we used the 124gr and 147gr Hydrashock as issued duty ammo, both were very poor performers in actual shootings.

In 9mm I have found that the 147gr and 124gr +p Gold Dot, HST and Ranger-T are about as good a choice as can be made.

The 115gr Winchester loadings would be way down on my list of prefered carry loads due to lots of expansion, limited penetration, and poor barrier performance.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'd say not so much to the 'designer ammo' label theory. At ammotogo.com you can get 250rds Hornady LE Close Quarters (CQ) TAP 124gr. HP 9mm for $154.95 OR 250rds Hornady Custom 115gr XTP HP 9mm for $164.95. You're lookin' at under $0.70 a pop for the hornadys vs $0.80 a pop for the Winchester from Walmart. Don't get me wrong, I love Walmart (except on the first of the month) but seems to me online is the way to go here, unless I'm missing something. You have to buy a crapload at a time either, they've got the Hornady Custom 115gr XTP HP 9 mil for $17, which is just $0.68 a whack! I'm what you'd call fairly new to the world of pistols, ('bout a year and half) so like I said, if I'm missing something, feel free to correct me. You can hit me up at [email protected]

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    3717 times
    I kind of agree about the current "designer" ammo being a big market ploy. I've had some real good luck with Hornady bullets in rifle calibers, but I'm not much impressed with their pistol bullets.
    I've used Hornady HPs in 9mm, 357, and 44 mag. The Hornady 44 XTPs I used on deer didn't hold together as well as I would have liked in a deer when shot out of a muzzle loader. But that is a pistol bullet at rifle velocities.
    I'd go with either one of them depending on which one shot the best out of my gun and which was cheapest.
    Accuracy being the most important element.

Links