Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: not caliber specific but still an ammo question

Member #
    South Fork, PA ten miles from Johnstown and 90 miles east of Pittsburgh
    Liked
    706 times

not caliber specific but still an ammo question

Hello. I was wondering if any of you purposely have ammo in popular gun calibers that you personally don't have a gun for. I only have 20 gage shotguns but I have several boxes of 12 gage shells. Same with .40's, I have several boxes of ammo but I don't own a .40 caliber pistol. I do have lots of ammo for every gun caliber I do own but I just thought it was a good idea to have some popular ones on hand "just in case". Anybody else do this?
    Trailblazer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3157 times
    You just never know.

I still have two boxes of the original Speer 45 GAP. I'm hoping it'll make my kids millionaires and they'll use the money to support me one day.

Seriously though, I still have ammo left over from past guns. .308, 40S&W..... might come in handy for someone one day.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26880 times
    I don't that I know of, but I understand the reasoning behind having a few boxes in calibers you don't have firearms for.

One reason I thought about is if a friend asked you to go out shooting with them and they had a firearm in one of those that you don't have, but have the ammo for. Let's say he has an M&P 40 and you don't, but you have some ammo for it in your stash. You can go out shooting with them, and supply some of the ammo for the range session.
    One other really good reason is that you have the ammo. So now you have an excuse to buy a new firearm in that cartridge. The best plan of all.

My problem is that I have a couple long guns in specialized cartridges, and have no ammo yet to support them. That's an even bigger problem.
    I don't believe that in my lifetime I'm going to see an insurrection within these borders, so hoarding ammo for future crisis is not on my agenda.
    But if it does happens, I have enough ammo to fill our needs for a few years down the line.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    William Munny and Trailblazer like this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    652 times
    In my case, no.

I don't own any .40 S&W caliber pistols, or any .41 Magnum revolvers, and most likely never will.

So picking up a few boxes "just in case" would be a waste of funds IMHO.

And if I picked up a box of .25ACP just in case the right Jennings came along, that would be a clear sign that ol' Quikdraw's gears have been stripped
    Last edited by quikdraw67; 01-04-2014 at 01:22 PM.
    William Munny likes this.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    6374 times
    Well, kinda. I have some 25 and 32 auto ammo that I inherited from a friend when he passed away. I have no idea why he had them or for how long since he didn't have any guns in those calibers. I don't either, but I can't bring myself to dispose of them so their in the ammo locker. I do have a set of dies in 416 Rigby though just waiting for me to get a rifle in that caliber.
    Duane

Member #
    Liked
    1085 times
    I bought about 1,000 rounds of 45 auto before I ever had a pistol chambered in it. And when all the ammo shelves were bare last year, I picked up a box of 30-06 every trip, and I still don't have a rifle for the stuff (yet). With the fed devaluing the dollar, turning cash into something tangible seems like a good idea to me.

Plus it gives us the excuse to buy that next gun.
    "Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds."

-Gearchecker

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8533 times
    I do, though usually because I sold the gun it went to.

Several hundred rounds of surplus 8mm.

600 rounds of .40 reloads.

A couple hundred rounds of 444 reloads.

Etcetera.
    Trailblazer likes this.
    Lost in the woods.

Member #
    Liked
    3917 times
    Except for some leftover 9X57mm, no to the ammo, but no gun for it. The route I've taken is to own guns capable of firing multiple calibers.
    Just in case
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
    "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."
    Pennsylvania Constitution; article 1 section 21
    Be Blessed, spud.308

Member #
    Liked
    6228 times
    I limit my ammo to what I own, and outside of a core group (32/38/357/45acp, 308) , I have maybe a box or two of cartridges for each gun I could shoot..

don't buy ammo if I cant shoot it.. although a good deal on a set of dies (like 9mm or .40 S&W) would not get passed by..
    Rcope822 likes this.
    Speak softly, but carry a big Smith..

While many are stronger, the wolf doesn't perform in the circus.

Member #
    Liked
    6247 times
    Yep , either because I had , but no longer have something chambered for that round , or because it was in a bunch of pre-owned ammo or gun stuff I bought.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." G.R. Ford

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links