How to ship ammo to friends and family !! UPS or FedEx only. No ammo thru the Post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How to ship ammo to friends and family !! UPS or FedEx only. No ammo thru the Post

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26371 times

How to ship ammo to friends and family !! UPS or FedEx only. No ammo thru the Post

With Ammo being so hard to find and everyone trading back and forth I decided to call and make sure I did it Correctly. Here is what you need to know for shipping UPS..or FedEx. It is illegal to ship ammo thru the US Postal Service. Fines start at $10 grand.

On 2 sides of the package draw a rectangle, inside the rectangle write ORM-D. On the outside of the rectangle on the top part write cartridges, small arms. The package can not weight more then 66 pounds. The ammunition can not exceed 50 cal. ORM-D are only allowed to go in the ground system. You would have to take this package to a customer counter or schedule a pick up. UPS and FedEx Stores are not trained to take ORM-D. There are no additional fees for shipping ORM-D.

If you want you can create and print these labels on your home computer. There are no specific dimensions required. But I recommend at least 1.5" high by 3" wide and use a font size large enough that the print is clearly legible at arms length.

There is NO HAZMAT FEE for shipping loaded ammo. Hazmat is only for Gunpowder and boxed or loose Primers.
    If you have any questions please call UPS at 1-800-554-9964. Also I attached a picture of the ORM-D sticker to show you an example.

As you can see they say no additional Charge so why risk it fellows. This is the way I'm doing it..

ORM-D stickers can be purchased online for around $6 per roll/1000 stickers if you plan to ship much ammo to different people.
    If you have any additional questions about this, please feel free to drop me a PM or e-mail me at [email protected]

** ORM-D is being replaced soon with another classification to avoid confusion over it's handling requirements.
    I'm not certain what the new label is like, but as always there is no extra charge involved in shipping ammo.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    Last edited by gearchecker; 01-14-2015 at 02:50 PM.
    RDLouks, 25fox, spud_.308 and 7 others like this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    7771 times
    I have on occasion needed to ship various quantities of ammunition. The above procedure has worked perfectly. Scheduling a pickup was extremely convenient at it saved a 82 mile round trip. It only cost $4 extra to have UPS come by the house and pickup the package. Be sure and keep the weight below 66 lbs. Use a cardboard box that has a bursting strength of 200 lbs.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    6374 times
    Good to know Gregory. I'm hoping I will have a need for this info shortly!
    Duane

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6562 times
    Thanks for the info it WILL get passed along.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gearchecker View Post
    With Ammo being so hard to find and everyone trading back and forth I decided to call and make sure I did it Correctly. Here is what you need to know for shipping UPS..or FedEx

On 2 sides of the package draw a rectangle, inside the rectangle write ORM-D. On the outside of the rectangle on the top part write cartridges, small arms. The package can not weight more then 66 pounds. The ammunition can not exceed 50 cal. ORM-D are only allowed to go in the ground system. You would have to take this package to a customer counter or schedule a pick up. UPS and FedEx Stores are not trained to take ORM-D. There are no additional fees for shipping ORM-D.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    All good info, outside labels amended earlier this year:

ORM-D « Daily Bulletin

Bill

Member #
    Liked
    26476 times
    If anyone has other questions about shipping I can probably help too. I worked for UPS for 15 years, the last 10 as a supervisor
    bruce and Trebor like this.

Member #
    Wet Side of the Mountains - Washington State
    Liked
    5614 times
    So, to be sure I got this right: I can print the "new labels" as shown in the Required Shipping Label Limited Quantity pdf and affix them to the ammo shipment box, take them to UPS and I should be good to go?
    gearchecker likes this.
    "Lord I'm not askin' to go right now but, if you call me now, I pray my remains may be found in a pile of hot brass surrounded by my dead enemies!"

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."

Retired Military: 1963-1967 U.S. Navy 1971-1987 U.S. Air Force

Member #
    Liked
    6482 times
    Can someone ship me some!
    gearchecker likes this.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26371 times
    Updated with more information
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    13817 times
    Jonesey, How does a guy send a pistol to a custom GS for work? I was told UPS won't ship pistols. I had to ship via FedEx. What a Fricking hassle. Now that I don't have an FFL it sucks sending ammo and firearms thru carriers. How about if I had a Curio & Relic's license? Hmmm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links