• 1 Post By etruett

Thread: Federal 130 grain Mirco HST 38 Special +P

Member #
    Liked
    1008 times

Federal 130 grain Mirco HST 38 Special +P

Read:

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/t...special-p/amp/

This is an interesting load with adequate penetration and superb expansion as long as it going 800 FPS or more.

Some folks mentioned getting the bullets for reloading. I haven’t seen them for reloading. I’d be hesitant to load them like Federal without load data and COAL information.

However it does look like a good defense round.
    Boriqua and lawdog like this.

Member #
    Liked
    32263 times
    I bought 2 boxes at the Walmart closeout sale for $11 a box. Also got 2 boxes of Remington Golden Saber 125gr Plus p 38 specials for $7 a box. I have not tried either one yet but would like to do a wet newpaper or milk jug test with them. That big mouth probably helps the bullet open up at snubby speeds and I wonder if the went with the deep seating to allow for less powder so there would be less flash and bang
    Boriqua likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy814 View Post
    I bought 2 boxes at the Walmart closeout sale for $11 a box. Also got 2 boxes of Remington Golden Saber 125gr Plus p 38 specials for $7 a box. I have not tried either one yet but would like to do a wet newpaper or milk jug test with them. That big mouth probably helps the bullet open up at snubby speeds and I wonder if the went with the deep seating to allow for less powder so there would be less flash and bang
    +1

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    411 times
    That 130 grain Micro seems to be about as good as .38 Spcl. currently gets when shot from 2" revolvers. Averaged 822 FPS in my S&W 642 with ~2" barrel. Performs much better in the Lucky Gunner tests than the Federal Hydra-shok 129 grain +P I was issued for years. Even in a 4" barrel, the 129+P HS was unimpressive....
    Boriqua likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    257 times
    You can find the HST bullets for reloading on GB from time to time. I picked up several hundred to play with. 1st test I did was see if they would keyhole like the HBWC loaded backwards would do at about 20 yards. I loaded up my test bullets with 5gr of Universal that should give around 900-1000fps depending on gun. Did not tumble at 25 yards. Shot fairly accurate and certainly good enough for defense. I did a very unscientific test comparing the HST to the Golden Saber +P which is my carry load. In water jugs I got slightly more expansion with HST but not a huge difference and penetration was less than the GS. Pretty much same results with wet newspaper. Been meaning to try some at magnum velocity but haven’t got around to it. Really done see the need however. Based on the luckygunner.com testing the +P Golden Saber will do as well as most magnum loads and would be much easier to shoot. Unless more testing shows something different, I’ll stick to the GS. They shoot more accurately in my guns and would be much faster reloading the cylinder with a speed loader
    Mac23 likes this.

Links