FACTORY 356TSW ammo at Underwood!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Poohgyrr
  • 1 Post By Rule3
  • 1 Post By jimg11

Thread: FACTORY 356TSW ammo at Underwood!

Member #
    Old CA is lost now; we’re returning home to Texas!
    Liked
    400 times

FACTORY 356TSW ammo at Underwood!

I remember some years ago, when I did NOT buy a 3rd Gen in 356TSW for carry. It would have offered 357Sig ballistics long before the Sig cartridge was born. Federal target 356TSW at Ammoman was the last factory ammo I remember seeing for sale.

Now, Underwood is selling factory JHPs, 115 & 124.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...tridge_356-tsw
    Boriqua likes this.
    John. Don't tell me the sky is the limit when our footprints & flag are on the moon.

Old California, the land of 1849 Sutter’s Fort & Roy Rogers, has been lost. The new rulers believe themselves to be the only fit rulers over the people.

God Bless America

Member #
    Liked
    5959 times
    I had to look that up, never knew such a "caliber" existed

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art.../4/29/356-tsw/
    Boriqua likes this.
    NRA Certified RSO

Member #
    Liked
    520 times
    Wow that is pretty intetesting. Never once heard of that cartridge. So it could potentially be used in any 9mm with the right springs?

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1920 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Boriqua View Post
    Wow that is pretty intetesting. Never once heard of that cartridge. So it could potentially be used in any 9mm with the right springs?
    The 356TSW is 9 X 21.5 MM thus will not chamber in a 9 x 19 mm chamber.
    Jim

Firearms safety is no accident.
    S&WHF #242
    S&WCA #2059
    NRA Patron Life

Member #
    Old CA is lost now; we’re returning home to Texas!
    Liked
    400 times
    Over on the big S&W forum, there were threads about the beginning & end of this round as a competition round in US IPSC.

Short story, as I remember, for Team S&W in IPSC, the company developed a double stack single action 9mm that made major with less recoil, for IPSC. It was very successful. Then rules changed to disallow any 9mm from being classified as major, and killed the usefulness for competitive use.

Round came close to duplicating the 125gr JHP 357Magnum (same as 357Sig) but was never marketed for self defense. The demand for 356TSW ended and they quit making ammo.

S&W made from scratch, & sold several models of PC pistols, and a J frame, for this round. Some models were target and other models could be carried on the street. 15 round mags.

I wanted one for carry, but I only carry factory ammo and there hasn’t been any for ages.

I don’t know that a simple spring swap is enough.
    Last edited by Poohgyrr; Today at 01:54 PM.
    John. Don't tell me the sky is the limit when our footprints & flag are on the moon.

Old California, the land of 1849 Sutter’s Fort & Roy Rogers, has been lost. The new rulers believe themselves to be the only fit rulers over the people.

God Bless America

Member #
    Liked
    1920 times
    Quote Originally Posted by poohgyrr View Post
    over on the big s&w forum, there were threads about the beginning & end of this round as a competition round in us ipsc.

Short story, as i remember, for team s&w in ipsc, the company developed a double stack single action 9mm that made major with less recoil, for ipsc. It was very successful, and then rules changed to disallow any 9mm from being classified as major.

S&w made from scratch, & sold several models of pc pistols, for this round. Some models were target and other models could be carried on the street. 15 round mags.

I wanted one for carry.

I don’t know that a simple spring swap is enough.
    it is not enough there has to be a chamber change!!! The actual size of the chamber is 9 x 21.5 mm.
    Last edited by jimg11; Today at 01:44 PM.
    Poohgyrr likes this.
    Jim

Firearms safety is no accident.
    S&WHF #242
    S&WCA #2059
    NRA Patron Life

Links