White Tails with a 357 Revolver
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: White Tails with a 357 Revolver

Member #
    Liked
    27429 times

White Tails with a 357 Revolver

A cousin, the same age as me recently moved back to town after being away for 8 or 10 years. He was asking me if I still hunted (haven't in years) and said he would like to go deer hunting this year and would really like it if I would go with him. This was followed by him asking if I had a rifle he could borrow to hunt with. Since messing up my back in 07, I haven't hunted. I know I couldn't hump a rifle around the hills and I'm not much of a sitter. I've toyed with the idea of hunting with a 357. A revolver on the hip would make for a lot easier going than carrying a long gun.
    I have decided if I do it, my 6 inch Highway Patrolman makes the best candidate. I have a good Hunter holster for it and all my other magnums are 4 inch or less. I shoot it well and regularly practice out to 40 yards or more.
    The big question is ammo. I have 130gr and 158gr RNFP Hi tek coated bullets on hand as well as 125gr and 158gr Hornady XTPs. I think the XTP is the best choice, but which weight is best? A 158gr at near 1300fps or a 125gr at 1500+fps?
    I also have some factory ammo to consider. Federal 158 semi-jacketed flat point, Blazer brass 158gr JHP or Remington 125gr semi-jacketed hollow points.
    I would like to hear from any of you who have hunted with a 357
    Boriqua and jeepnut like this.

Member #
    Liked
    27429 times
    Here are the factory rounds
    left to right, Blazer 158, Federal 158, Remington 125
    Name:  7609731F-BD89-4AC5-8FEC-F7DB9278873C.jpeg
Views: 29
Size:  285.4 KBName:  A3799F0F-FF89-4F43-83AE-C584827022AC.jpeg
Views: 23
Size:  357.8 KB

Member #
    Liked
    10466 times
    If I see a white tail with a .357 I'm going to figure revenge is on his mind and get the heck out of Dodge. I would think that the 158gr flat point would be good. I recall reading something about hollow points clogging with hair and not expanding.
    Boriqua likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4355 times
    Your 6" HP should do Jonsey. Heavier bullets are better but don't use hollow points. They expand all right but I've personally seen them fail to penetrate well enough on a deer to do a good job. And that was with nearly 15 gr of 2400 coming out of an 8" barrel. You want good penetration.
    I use my own cast Lyman 158 gr SWCs, or store bought hard cast SWCs. The FP jacketed ammo may be OK.
    Most of my online research on 357 ans a revolver cartridge for whitetails indicates that lead SWCs are preferred by a wide margin.

John
    Last edited by timetripper; 11-09-2019 at 08:18 PM.
    If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law. Winston Churchill

Member #
    Liked
    27429 times
    I dont have any cast wadcutters and likely wouldnt have time to get them, work up a load and sight in gun with them in time. I do have these 158gr bullets. As shown they are in 38 special but I load the same bullet in 357 with H110. These bullets are hard cast, brinell 18
    Name:  C8221FE3-694C-4708-9162-868F6F04E3F6.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  306.9 KB
    jeepnut and Bob K like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4355 times
    A SWC may cut a nicer whole with sharp edges that wont close up but those there boolits have a nice flat metplat and with a BN of 18 and should still give you good penetration. Much more preferable than an HP.

John
    jonesy814, jeepnut and BonitaBob like this.
    If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law. Winston Churchill

Member #
    Liked
    62214 times
    I have a 165 Grain "Keith" Gas Checked SWC over 12 gr of AA+9 and has been very effective for me. I want to try this round out of my Henry.
    Name:  IMG_4029.JPG
Views: 23
Size:  590.6 KB
    Last edited by jeepnut; 11-09-2019 at 09:28 PM.
    Bob K likes this.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    4355 times
    TBH, I'm interested in what the other handgun hunters here have to say. Certainly that a 41 or 44 Magnum is better, but the question is what to use with a 357 mag.

My objections to the HP bullet design, in particular the Hornady XTP in any weight, stems from personal experience. Shot a doe several years ago with my Model 27 and it took off despite a solid shot to the shoulder area at about 30 yards. Finally caught up with it and put it down for good with a shot to the spine. I administered a final coup de grace to to neck. None of the three bullets penetrated more than a couple inches. The neck shot was at near point blank range and the bullet was found, neatly mushroomed out, up against the vertebrae.There was no apparent damage to the bone. I was very disappointed with those results and upset with the number of shots that the animal had to take to be put down.

I've since found a nice model 57 in 41 Magnum and I've worked up an accurate load for it. Just haven't had the opportunity to put it to use to see results. But I'm still using solid lead SWC's.

I have talked with many hand gun hunters who spoke of excellent results with the XTP design when used with 44 magnums but upon reflection they may have been using the cartridge in a TC Contender. One fella told me of dropping a doe at about 80 yards with a quartering away shot that went in behind the rib cage and finally lodged in the brisket just under the skin. I can't see that happening with a 357 HP at that range.

John
    jeepnut likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    62214 times
    I have a Ruger Blackhawk 4" that I use with a 215 gr Barnes over AA+9 and have a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt and have read about a 300 gr Wadcutter that I am working to get a load on it. Also have Henry Levers in both calibers. I have read some excellent things about the 45 Colt wadcutter on Hogs.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    11938 times
    Hunted deer for many years with Rifle and used a .357 mag in both a Ruger Black Hawk and a Smith Wesson 686 and a High-Way Patrolman Model 28. . . I hunt from tree stands. All of these guns have and are 6 inch tubes. I limit my shots to 75 yards or less. So mostly i use these guns when the deer are close to my stand. I hate wounding deer and and having to track them to find them. Anything 75 yards and out I use a rifle . I hunt in West Va. and Florida. My best results are with several different loads. I like heavier bullets in the 158 grain class. Or 124 Grain hollow points with more Vel. Punch . The best thing I can tell you is practice you shooting from a raised platform on a shooting range. Unless ground hunting. Check your loads for accuracy. But most of all put in some trigger time before you go on the hunt. Success depends on well placed shots ," the FIRST TIME. " Don't count on a second shot with a revolver . They more to fast and will be out of harms way and range in a blink of an eye. Here are some loads I have used with accuracy results out of my model 28Name:  DSCF3195.JPG
Size:  2.35 MBName:  DSCF3197.JPG
Size:  2.45 MBName:  DSCF3196.JPG
Views: 20
Size:  2.42 MB

#1 125 grain Federal JHP
    #2 148 Grain JSP
    #3 158 grain Master Match JSP
    Last edited by Layne12gun; 11-09-2019 at 10:03 PM.
    charles likes this.
    TO Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links