White Tails with a 357 Revolver
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: White Tails with a 357 Revolver

Member #
    Liked
    34586 times
    A 357 is the most powerful revolver I own, so that's what I have to work with. Woods are pretty thick up here and long shots are rare even with a rifle. Its open sights so I would be only taking fairly close shots...inside 50 yards. I feel confident that there is plenty of power there at that range in a 357 as long as the bullet performs. The coated bullets I have may not expand but they should penetrate good. May do some testing this tomorrow.
    jeepnut likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7161 times
    I would definitely stick with the 158 grain bullets. You want penetration. I have very limited experience with the .357 on deer since I almost always carry my 29C, but I have used 240 grain XTP's in it on deer and hogs with no issues. The few times I have recovered a bullet it was a perfect mushroom. I think the Hornady or the plated 158's you have would work well inside 50 yards. Pick the one that is most accurate in your 28. Good luck.
    jeepnut likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    60148 times
    158 grain semi jacketed semi wadcutters have always worked for me.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    14357 times
    Here in Florida, the deer are small enough to hunt with a 32SWL..................
    jonesy814 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4806 times
    Deer are not that difficult to kill. What makes the task difficult is the incompetent hunter. If you can't place the shoot that's the problem! A 357 magnum is quite adequate with reasonable shoot placement. Reasonable shoot placement includes penetration thus the knowledge of the deer's anatomy. Shooting the big middle isn't the best shot placement. Yes one could step up to as an example 44Magnum but its still problematic if you can't place the shoot effectively.

I use to allow hunters on the property. I stipulated one simple rule; shoots taken must equal deer taken or don't come back. I'm down to one hunter whom often fills out his tag of five deer every year.

Farmers in the area, I'm told use .22RF to prevent crop damage. Thus deer are problematic depending on your view point!

Member #
    Liked
    60148 times
    Again shot placement, not caliber is what counts.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    4999 times
    I once killed a big 8 pt with my 4" 19 with my cast 168 gr SWC pushed by 2400. Bang-dropped-lights out.

Member #
    Liked
    34586 times
    I have hunted many times with a rifle, and know that shot placement is the key. I know where the proper target area is and have actually never had to shoot a deer twice. sometimes they ran off 50 yards or so, but always found them dead. If I decide to hunt with my 357, I know well the cartridge and my own limitations, and the biggest one is me. I'm not dead set on taking a deer. More just getting out to enjoy the outdoors with friends, but if I get the right shot I will take it. out to 25-30 yards I am good freehand and if I can get a rest on a tree branch or something I'll be good out to 45-50. Honestly, the woods were I hunt are thick enough I don't think I ever shot a deer at over 75 yards with a rifle. You usually just cant see them well enough to determine buck or doe in many cases and doe require a special permit.

Member #
    Liked
    20324 times
    I have hunted Michigan and Indiana deer with a handgun in the past and the prime reason I bought the 460 XVR.

I hunt with Hornady XTP's always. Always hollow points. The XVR takes a 452 XTP, 250 grain with Lil'Gun and my 44 RM takes a 450, same bullet lighter weight 200 preferred. Always get good expansion and retained weight is always better than 85% (I know, I've weighed them).

Never had an issue with hair either. Deer hair lays down and is coarse so the pill don't clog and the pill don't expand until it gets inside anyway. That hair bullshitte sounds like Internet folklore to me.

Not sure about a 357, never considered one for Michigan deer. I'd say no farther than 50 yards with a 357 no matter how you propel it.

I always load at the maximum end (SAMMI) charge no matter what I'm sending and (don't tell anyone), I actually jump the bullets a bit (COAL) over spec. Reason I do that is because the shorter the distance between the cylinder face and the forcing cone is, the less side blow you get from the charge (in the space between the forcing cone and the cylinder face). Works for me but I don't endorse it, I just do it.

My philosophy is, so long as the cartridge don't protrude past the cylinder face (and interfere with cylinder rotation), all is good and that allows me to run a maximum charge without compressing the powder. Doing that with the 460, I can hold MOA at 100 yards, but then the XVR was really designed as a large game killer in the first place.

Never loaded any lead pills, don't plan on it either, Always gilded (FMJ) pills but then I don't punch paper anyway, I punch animals. That brings me to another point and that is barrel fouling. A gilded pill will always leave residue in a tube so I clean my barrels with the same stuff I clean my rifles with, BTE followed by Hoppe's 9. The BTE removes all the fouling (I look inside before and after I clean them with my bore scope). In fact I look in all my barrels on all my guns before and after cleaning. Never chance that procedure and why I know BTE is tits.

No iron sights either, always an optic. A Leupy LER pistol scope or in the case of the 460, my Japanese LOE glass Bushnell LER scope. You really need a recoil resistant optic. Handguns recoil violently and abruptly so the scope needs to be able to withstand that recoil and still track properly.

I'll be using either the 460 or my CVA inline 50 cal smokepole on Friday, which is opening day here. Smokepole is sending a Barnes saboted ballistic tip backed up with 100 grains (by volume not weight) of Blackhorn 209 with a CCI 209 primer, The CVA is shimmed and the breech plug is modified. Very accurate to 175 yards. Plenty lobng enough for deer.

No matter what you use (you can take a deer with a 22 though it's not considered ethical) and the poacher weapon of choice is a 22 LR, I always make sure the shot is a kill shot. You have a 12-14" kill zone (boiler room shot). Be ethical and use it. I think the only time I took a deer without shooting i the kill zone (broadside shot) was a doe coming head on to me. I shot her with the smoke pole at about 25 yards, middle of the chest and she went right down and never even quivered but that 50 cal Barnes blew her apart inside pretty good.

How I play, your results may be different.
    jonesy814 likes this.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    20324 times
    I'm considering switching to Swift A Frames from XTP's. May do that next reload session. A Frames are very expensive but also an excellent pill for game.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links