Best self defense ammo
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Best self defense ammo

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Best self defense ammo

What would be the best ammo for my 9mm Shield 3.1 barrel. I have my CCW.

Member #
    Liked
    14520 times
    I use Winchester Personal Protection 147 gr. 9mm., which is relatively cheap.....compared to the Designer Ammo, which is twice as expensive. Dead is DEAD no matter what you use!!!! Bob
    Boriqua, powrguy, ETF and 2 others like this.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    59806 times
    IM(not very)HO any of the jacketed hollow point works fine (presuming it feeds well in your gun). Full metal jacketed is ok for plinking but not much else. However shot placement is always king, no bullet anywhere can make up for the bullet that didn't quite hit the mark.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6778 times
    This:

However shot placement is always king
    A successful Mozambique with a .380 beats a graze with a .44 mag every time.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26136 times
    Whatever you choose, plan on practicing with this ammo regularly.

Shot placement and proper control including follow through are the most important consideration.

Ask your local police agency what they use... It's always a good response if you ever have to testify that you asked the local police what they used when you selected the ammunition you use.

"Why did you choose the Golden Sabre +P 9mm ammunition you shot the deceased with?"

"Because that's what the local police agency told me that they use, and have found to be both safe and effective..."
    powrguy, Rodan, Mac23 and 3 others like this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    28801 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Injunbro View Post
    IM(not very)HO any of the jacketed hollow point works fine (presuming it feeds well in your gun). Full metal jacketed is ok for plinking but not much else. However shot placement is always king, no bullet anywhere can make up for the bullet that didn't quite hit the mark.
    Irv, in your recommended book by Jim Cirillo; "Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights", the most interesting part of it to me was his extensive ballistic experimentation trying to find the most effective bullet form. Since then I've done a lot of thinking about what I have to carry for self defense. Practice ammo is another matter, I just go cheap!
    Injunbro, BonitaBob and Bob K like this.
    “So son, explain again exactly why there’s a stripper in your bedroom?"

Member #
    Liked
    13819 times
    Just to toss out what I went to: Federal HST 124 gr. I use a FMJ 124gr for range time. Whatever you use make sure it cycles in your gun every time.
    powrguy and TennSharpshooter like this.
    ~Jerry | Buckeye Firearms | ORPA
    Life Member DAV | NRA Distinguished | RWVA

Member #
    Liked
    1786 times
    Everyone has made good and valid points but I would like to touch on Bob k's post. Much of the wonder in the wonder 9's is bullet technology that makes use of intelligent engineering to try and produce an effective hollow point that expands reliably. At 3.1 inches you are giving up some velocity so a heavier bullet even if it fails to expand may give you the extra penetration needed to get the job done.

Its kind of what you run into with 38 special. Much of the expanding (expensive) bullets just dont expand because there is not enough Umph. A lead 158gr SWC or WC at normal 38 pressure will do a fine job though.

So if I were going to carry what I consider a micro 9 ... I might seriously consider going 147 if you dont get feed issues. If it expands .. awesome but if it doesnt it should at least get a heavy bullet deep enough to stop the threat. Some guns just dont like the 147 gr though so be sure to buy a box and test some.

Having said all that .. gangbangers are killing each other pretty regularly with Walmart winchester white box.
    Bob K, Cliff and mjn like this.

Member #
    Liked
    14520 times
    I have been hearing that there is a debate about which is the most effective....9mm. .40 S&W .45 ACP. While I've heard of it, I never actually seen it. Does anybody have a link to this debate article??? I use...what ever I happen to choose....but 9mm is pretty cheap to shoot......which means that you may shoot more. Shot placement is always important.....no matter what you use!!!

I would think that, a bigger .45 ACP bullet, would be more effective than the smaller.....WITH THE SAME TYPE BULLET!!!! You can't compare apples to oranges!!!! But, why is there a debate? Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    218 times
    The debate exists because some of us like to argue! Generally anything that is .38/9 mm or bigger should suffice IF you hit the right spot. I prefer to carry at minimum a 380, but winter is here so I can switch to my Kimber 45. Ive also found a J-frame .38 inan ankle holster to be reasonably accessible. Let me ramble back on topic here. Caliber is important. If you are using something bigger than 32 (let’s not argue about my 327 or 32NAA) then be sure that you are comfortable carrying it and accurate shooting it under stress. A .22 in your hand is better than a 44 mag back in the gun safe.
    mark38090, Cliff and mjn like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links