Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Best self defense ammo

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26382 times
    My favorite response to the questions about "best self defense ammo" is what Ayoob taught me in LFI:

Go ask your local police department what they use in their guns.

If you ever have to testify in court about it, instead of saying you asked the Smith and Wesson forum for their advice, you can say, "I asked my local police department what they used, and figured it was the right choice".

End of lawyer strategy to call you an extremist because you use self defense rounds instead of "regular ammo".

One thing regardless of what you choose. You need to train with it to ensure that you can competently manage recoil in the firearm you're using so that nobody can accuse you of negligence because your shot was inaccurate.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    14630 times
    The above reason ^ is why I use Winchester White Box in 125 gr. JHP .38 Spl. +P and 147 gr. JHP 9mm. JHP for carry and my practice round. At the low price, I don't have to shoot the 'good stuff' for carry, and some 'cheap stuff' for practice. I have seen tests of Winchester White Box, and it's not bad! It will do the job, with proper placement of your shots. I believe you should practice with what you carry, so that you will know what to expect.

All the so called 'Experts' debate using designer ammo for self defense, but, I say the old 'plain Jane' ammo, that has worked well in the past......still can do the job! I still use common guns (S&W Revolvers and Ruger Semi-Autos) in med. calibers. It just makes sense to me. BUT......I don't claim to be an 'Expert'......either!!!!! Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    20224 times
    Whatever goes 'bang' reliably.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26382 times
    I love the fact that they can use a fraction of a cent's more powder, less mass in the round and double the price - all because of reshaping the bullet to something that fragments differently.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    14630 times
    I think that they come up with these ideas.....just so they can charge double the money.....for a half box of cartridges. Afterall.....that's their job!!!!!! Bob
    Boriqua likes this.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    41440 times
    Typically whatever shoots reliable and accurate. Remington, Winchester and Federal not only work great but normally very easy to find in these parts.
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

Member #
    Liked
    14630 times
    When Walmart used to sell ammo, back 20 years ago......I could buy .38 Spl.+P WWB for $10/box. Now, 20 years later, it was $20/box before Walmart stopped selling it. That's just plain, old, regular, WWB ammo. If you could shoot well enough to hit a critical area.......it would do the job!!!! Good enough for me!!!! Bob

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Links