• 3 Post By jonesy814
  • 2 Post By ArkieVol
  • 1 Post By Law_Order

Thread: Developing the 38 Special Treasury Load

Member #
    Liked
    26530 times

Developing the 38 Special Treasury Load

Here is an interesting article I ran into on the development of better performing 38 special loads in the 60s and 70s
    https://loadoutroom.com/118039/ammo-...treasury-load/

Member #
    Liked
    10036 times
    An interesting article but it begs the question , why not just get a .357 Magnum? The 158 grain LSWCHP +P is a very good cartridge for the .38 Spl. . The long extinct Speer 140 grain "half jacket" LSWCHP was even better. I still have a few of those around here somewhere.
    Injunbro, jonesy814 and lawdog like this.

COME TAKE IT.
    To friends , I'm "Thud". Proud Supporter of Buckeye Firearms Assn.

Member #
    Liked
    26530 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcope822 View Post
    An interesting article but it begs the question , why not just get a .357 Magnum? The 158 grain LSWCHP +P is a very good cartridge for the .38 Spl. . The long extinct Speer 140 grain "half jacket" LSWCHP was even better. I still have a few of those around here somewhere.
    I think over penetration was the concern with a cartridge that is "too" powerful, especially in urban areas. Also, thousands of police officers were already armed with a 38 Special chambered handgun so looking for a better bullet was way more economical than replacing all those guns
    Keith44Spl, 1av8r and Rcope822 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Born in Kentucky, raised in Tennessee, retired in north central Arkansas
    Liked
    5223 times
    Thanks for posting the article...interesting. I carried most of them at one time or another but, thankfully, never had to use them on anyone.

I think over penetration was the concern with a cartridge that is "too" powerful, especially in urban areas. Also, thousands of police officers were already armed with a 38 Special chambered handgun so looking for a better bullet was way more economical than replacing all those guns
    That was the situation in my dept. 38 special ONLY, no 357 mag. Penetration was the issue. Of course, this was a long time ago, 60's-70's, when semi-autos and different calibers were only begining to make their appearance as police duty weapons.
    Last edited by ArkieVol; 07-02-2019 at 10:09 PM.
    jonesy814 and lawdog like this.
    Pay attention - it pays to win!

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    That was a great article, took me back in time,I had the opportunity to shoot some of the Winchester Treasury load in my then Ruger Security 6. Not a lot flash, and it group very tight. The Winchester Treasury load today would be a great load say in Ruger SP-101 or GP-100, 3-4 inch. The Remington 158 LSWCHP+P still is a very good performer out of a Snub Nose 38, because it’s lead is Softer than the Winchester loading, resulting in more relabel expansion.
    jonesy814 likes this.

Links