Fiocchi .38 spl LRN
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Fiocchi .38 spl LRN

Member #
    Liked
    2967 times

Fiocchi .38 spl LRN

Bought a box of Fioochi .38 spl 158 gr $16 and didn't realize it was LRN till got home. Any problem leading my 2.5" 686 ? bullets also feel coated, guess will keep a check on it and fire a few .357 FMJ afterward. I leaded up a Taurus snub a few years ago and never want to go through that mess again
    jeepnut likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    55569 times
    Should be fine if worried to shoot some plated or jacketed rounds every now and then.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    7605 times
    Plain Jane .38 Special LRN will do what it has always done ... make nice .38 caliber holes in the target. It might leave a bit of soot, etc. in the barrel but very much doubt that it will leave any significant lead deposits in the barrel. If it were loaded to higher than normal velocity, it might be a problem, but standard .38 Special velocity 158 gr. lead ammo is just not going to be a problem. A bit of a brush out w/ a phosphor-bronze brush and some Hoppie's will get everything in the chambers and bore clean as a whistle! Now, if you happen to go to shooting factory .357 S&W Magnum lead loads, you will almost certainly end up having lots of fun removing lead from the bore of the revolver! Unless the lead bullets are hard cast and properly fitted to the bore, some leading is just about guaranteed. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    24960 times
    I don't think 1 box of factory 38 specials will lead your barrel. It may end up a bit dirtier than usual due to the lube on the lead.

Member #
    Liked
    11411 times
    Fiocchi .38 round nose does not lead the barrel of a revolver unless the revolver barrel gets really hot. You may then see some lead buildup. I have shot Fiocchi .38 RNL in my Cow Boy action revolver and have no problem . Just remember its better to clean right after shooting with RNL. you should be fine with it.
    TO Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Member #
    Liked
    4249 times
    All I shoot is lead in all of my revolvers. Most is my own home cast from wheel weights or reclaimed range. Measured Brinnell is usually around 12. I've had more problems with leading when using the commercial made hard cast bullets of 16 bhn, or more, I bought at the shows. I think the issue with them is that they always had a small bevel base. I suspect the bevel base is there more to aid in the lube step of manufacture than to provide any benefit to the shooter. I'm thinking that it allows gas blow by, leaving melted lead in the barrel. Some of my 357 and 41 magnum loads are pretty hot and I've had minimal issues with leading with properly sized flat based bullets.
    But I do always check after every range session and give the barrels a good scrubbing with a brass brush.

John
    If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law. Winston Churchill

Member #
    Liked
    16383 times
    I've never shot lead bullets that didn't leave some lead in the bore. I always shoot some jacket bullets thru the bore before I leave the range. Maybe 12-18 rounds after shooting 50 lead loads. Never a problem. I only shoot factory loaded ammo.

Member #
    Liked
    11143 times
    JB, funny you should mention your Taurus leading up. I had one in 45/410 that liked to hold on to a portion of the lead. Very annoying.
    ~Jerry | https://www.buckeyefirearms.org | http://orpa.net
    Life Member https://www.dav.org/ | NRA Distinguished

Member #
    Liked
    2967 times
    When a newbie was really berated on a forum for buying a Taurus but it was a good gun. After awhile wanted something to shoot so sold the Taurus for what I paid for it. Used funds to help pay for my 9mm Shield which I've owned now 7 years no problems.

Member #
    Liked
    338 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jb59 View Post
    Bought a box of Fioochi .38 spl 158 gr $16 and didn't realize it was LRN till got home. Any problem leading my 2.5" 686 ? bullets also feel coated, guess will keep a check on it and fire a few .357 FMJ afterward. I leaded up a Taurus snub a few years ago and never want to go through that mess again
    Just wondering, what did you think you were buying?
    NRA Benefactor Life Member, US Army Vet., Retired LEO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links