Need Advice
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Need Advice

Member #
    Liked
    6355 times

Need Advice

Having a problem with loose dogs in neighborhood. I did shoot one last year with a 9mm but cops were not happy with me. Would a 22 mag shotshell be sufficient to shoot at one? Not asking if it would kill it, would it work to get it away from me and my dog? Has anyone used it? Thinking this would be safer at close range and not cause a stray round hitting a house or something else.

Member #
    Liked
    4331 times
    Maybe rubber shot .410's?

Are they strays or feral dogs?
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    3847 times
    22 shotshell in a pocket pistol like NAA. Make no mistake. A larger dog comes at me on my property or out walking will reap the consequences.
    Paul

STUPID WILL GET YOU KILLED

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    912 times
    Slingshot or squirt bottle filled with ammonia

Member #
    Liked
    6355 times
    Talked to cops this morning and they liked the idea of shot shell. Very little chance of injuring bystander or private property. I will be using it in a 22mag Ruger LCR.

Member #
    Liked
    5739 times
    If they are large feral dogs a 22 shot shell will just piss them off!

A can of BEAR spray would be better unless this gonna be a "best caliber for wild dog thread"

I live in a residential area and don't have a real bad dog problem, but I carry a can of mace and a gun when walking our little fluff ball doggy. When we had the JR Terror I did not worry about him.
    Last edited by Rule3; 06-21-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    NRA Certified RSO

Member #
    Liked
    11629 times
    Problem is that a .22 mag shot shell is just as loud as a 9mm going off. .22 mag shot shell will not kill the dog but wound it and that can make the animal aggressive. If you don't own a supressor then you have the problem of noise. Getting some .22 ( shorts or CB Mini caps ) would be a possibility but you will have to execute very accurate shots to the brain cavity to destroy the dog.

That being said : i find it hard to believe that your area does not have some king of animal control authority to assist you rather than killing or wounding a dog. I might suggest setting dog traps and removing the dog that way. Safer for all around. and If you to get a dog that just happens to be some one pet , by trapping there is a chance that they can get the dog back in tack in case it just accidentally got away. A lot to thing about here. Moral obligations. I hate to shoot any dog unless its aggressive to me and my family or my other animals. Then I dispatch the dog, 9mm or whatever.. Call the police myself and tell them the dog " attacked" and was dispatched preserving my safety or property.

Just my suggestions.

Layne12gun
    nmshieldshooter likes this.
    TO Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Member #
    Liked
    6355 times
    We do have animal control but they will not come out unless it has attacked. Had to put down my dog 2 years ago because she was attacked. Had to shoot a neighbors dog last year in street because it was trying to attack my new dog. These are not feral dogs, they are pets! Owners just let them out the door. I live in a small town, lots of pitbulls. These dogs seem aggressive to other dogs. I do not want to see my dog attacked again. Also carry pepper spray but on windy days I will not use it and some of these dogs not affected by it. Cops don't want projectiles being fired and hitting personal property. I also carry a 9mm for CCW.

Member #
    Liked
    57119 times
    Wasp spray - hillbilly mace. Then a 9mm in case real protection is needed. 22 magnum snake shot won't stop a charging dog but will blind & injure it resulting in an animal cruelty charge. Discharging a firearm in city limits doesn't change if it's snake shot instead of slugs.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    10093 times
    Bear spray

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links