• 5 Post By jonesy814
  • 3 Post By msharley
  • 3 Post By jonesy814

Thread: Vintage Remington 38 Special

Member #
    Liked
    26520 times

Vintage Remington 38 Special

I came across a partial but almost full box of Remington 158gr lead round nose “Police Service” ammunition. I was interested to see if this old load was mild or wild. I shot some in my M15 as well as my 638. I figured if it was hot, I would really feel it in the J frame. Obviously not a scientific study, but Curt and I both shot it in both my revolvers and we both felt was not all that hot. The recoil was about the same as the 130gr Winchester ammo I had that the box says goes 800fps. Maybe it has lost some power due to age, but modern plus P ammo has a lot more kick than this old police special load.
    Does anyone have any idea when this ammo was made based on the box graphics? My guess is 1940s or 50s but its only a guesstimate. Couldn’t find a date on the box.
    Name:  5E5FEE44-1FCE-4D14-A3A8-9479FCA9A090.jpeg
Views: 58
Size:  3.55 MB

Member #
    Liked
    13567 times
    Hey Jonesy,

That is the "Classic Ammo"...........for your "Classic Revolver"!

Would guess about 1950??

Later, Mark
    lawdog, Oldgungeezer and Cliff like this.
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E. Lee

Marlinitis Symptoms: More daily.

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.........

Member #
    Liked
    26520 times
    After posting, I found an online reference for Remington ammo boxes. The style I have pictured was used from 1946 until 1960.
    msharley, lawdog and Oldgungeezer like this.

Links