Foot/Lbs. of Energy and Recoil
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Foot/Lbs. of Energy and Recoil

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Foot/Lbs. of Energy and Recoil

Wasn't sure which forum to post this in since it concerns ammo, SA's and revolvers, but...

Do the foot/lbs. of energy of a particular load, and the weight of the gun figured in, DIRECTLY EQUAL the amount of felt recoil? I know that SA's have less felt recoil than similar weight revolvers because of the spring absorbing some of the force, but are there any other factors, like how fast or slow burning the powder is, that may affect it?

What prompts my question, specifically, are the reviews of a 9mm snub revolver, which some say has only a LITTLE more recoil than a .38+P in the same weight gun, when the 9mm is like 200 fps faster with only 1 one hundredth difference in bullet weight (124 vs 125 grains)? It seems to me there should be a much greater difference in recoil, or is this also attributable to the shooter's subjectively PERCEIVED judgement of how it felt?
    Last edited by YosemiteSam; 05-09-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    4804 times
    Felt recoil is Impulse which is the force (not energy) integrated over time

Name:  derive_impulse_1.gif
Views: 87
Size:  2.6 KB

So no, but it is proportional. Regarding handguns, what further complicates things is that the force is not directly into the hand so there's an upward component (barrel flip) and a horizontal component that the palm captures.

Also, don't forget "felt" recoil is subjective. E. g. Locking my elbows increases my "felt" recoil because I'm stopping the gun faster (smaller delta t)
    Last edited by delcrossv; 05-09-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    ChattanoogaPhil likes this.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by delcrossv View Post
    Felt recoil is Impulse which is the force (not energy) integrated over time

Name:  derive_impulse_1.gif
Views: 87
Size:  2.6 KB

So no, but it is proportional.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4804 times
    Force over the time the force is applied
    Thewelshm likes this.

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    6136 times
    There is no simple answer. There are many things that contribute to felt recoil such as shape of the gun, height of bore above the axis, mass of the gun, mass of the bullet, powder burn rate, barrel length, etc.
    delcrossv, BonitaBob and Thewelshm like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

Member #
    Liked
    5857 times
    Felt or Perceived recoil is NOT the same as actual recoil. To many factors such as guns size and weight for perceived (felt)

You and I can shoot the same gun with same ammo and "feel" different recoil.

Yes, powder burn rate can make a difference in "felt" recoil for some, I find it negligible. I can't tell the difference between a load of Bullseye vs say Unique in 45 acp with 230 gr bullet Some say they can.
    Fast powder as more of a snap, slow more of push (so they claim) or something like that Same with a light bullet vs a heavy bullet.
    The debate and popcorn goes on and on.

JBM - Calculations - Recoil

ShootersCalculator.com | Recoil Calculator

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...istols-part-1/
    Last edited by Rule3; 05-09-2019 at 01:05 PM.
    NRA Certified RSO

Member #
    Liked
    6136 times
    My friend and I took our .454 Casull revolvers to the range. His is a 7 1/2" Freedom Arms model 83 premium grade single-action. Mine is a 7 1/2" Ruger Super Redhawk double/single-action. The gun weights are within an ounce. We shot the same ammo. We both agreed that my Ruger is far more pleasant to shoot than his triple the cost Freedom Arms.
    ShooterGranny and Thewelshm like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

Member #
    Liked
    9586 times
    12 gauge slugs out of an autoloader don't bruise as much as a fixed breech shotgun. 44 magnums out of a Desert Eagle still rock you....but not as harshly as shooting a 29 with good (rubber) grips. SO many variables between calibers..guns..grips..it really isa complex subject. All I truly know is there is NO comfortable way to shoot a 500 S&W...at least not for me. Some punishment is just not worth it..

Member #
    Liked
    4804 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway500 View Post
    All I truly know is there is NO comfortable way to shoot a 500 S&W...at least not for me. Some punishment is just not worth it..
    The only time I really suffer with my 500 is when I shoot those 700grn. Underwood "dinosaur killers" .

Member #
    Liked
    1383 times
    9mm snub revolver has only a LITTLE more recoil than a .38+P in the same weight gun, when the 9mm is like 200 fps faster with only 1 one hundredth difference in bullet weight (124 vs 125 grains)
    Whoever said that was wrong.

I will say that the 9mm will have a sharper and increased recoil, definitely. Neither is exactly excessive.

I know that SA's have less felt recoil than similar weight revolvers because of the spring absorbing some of the force...
    You lost me on that one.........like what spring is doing this "absorbing?"

SA's don't push back as much because of the design and angle of the butt.......it causes some energy to be absorbed by the barrel tending to flip up more.......and the longer the barrel the greater the effect.

I've noticed that my Gen 4 Glock 30 is the lightest recoiling .45 ACP I've ever shot........and that actually IS partially due to the spring system of the Gen 4.

In general......as has been noted above......a lot of this is subjective and our mileage tends to vary a lot.
    "Supposin' I was to go to work and learn how to... to read writin'. Well, how'd I know that the feller that... that wrote the writin' was a writin' the writin' right? Here I might be just a readin' wrong writin', don't ya see?"
    [Festus Haggen]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links