Foot/Lbs. of Energy and Recoil
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Foot/Lbs. of Energy and Recoil

Member #
    Liked
    5895 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rock185 View Post
    Yosimite, It's really momentum, rather than energy, that equates to the recoil we feel in shooting handguns. Sanctioning bodies use the term Power Factor to express this. For instance, a .45 ACP 200 grain target load at 750 FPS (PF ~150), and a 27 grain 5.7X28 projectile at 2025 FPS (PF~55), have approximately the same energy. But the much heavier, but much slower .45, has almost 3 times the recoil of the 5.7x28.

But more directly to your question, yes, within my humble experience the little 9MM revolvers have noticeably more recoil than the little revolvers using 38+p ammunition. This, if revolvers are of similar weight, and just considering major manufacturer ammunition. The 38, with it's greater case capacity, could be loaded to exceed 9MM depending upon how high a pressure the individual reloader, or factory, decided to load the 38. Some "Boutique" manufactuer's 38 +P reportedly has very impressive ballistics that may very well exceed 9MM, but I haven't as yet tested that ammo.

FWIW, I have a S&W Model 640 .38 and Model 940 9MM that both weigh about the same with 2" barrels. The 38+P 125 grain ammunition I've tested rarely hits 900 FPS in the Model 640. Similar weight 9MM is usually 1050 FPS or more. And the popular Federal 124 grain +P HST 9MM averages 1195 FPS in the 940. Anyway, just my experience in owning, shooting and chronographing two little S&W revolvers that are very similar, but different calibers..........ymmv
    This has nothing to do with the orginal OP question.

But go back to the orginal intent or question of the OP. It is about 9mm semi auto vs 38 special revolvers NOT 9mm revolvers.
    NRA Certified RSO

Member #
    Liked
    160 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rule3 View Post
    This has nothing to do with the orginal OP question.

But go back to the orginal intent or question of the OP. It is about 9mm semi auto vs 38 special revolvers NOT 9mm revolvers.
    Actually, the question was:
    What prompts my question, specifically, are the reviews of a 9mm snub revolver, which some say has only a LITTLE more recoil than a .38+P in the same weight gun

Member #
    Liked
    160 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rock185 View Post
    Verminator, You are correct in that most often factory and loading manual ballistics for 9MM, are from a 4" pistol barrel. Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I've tested the 124 +P HST in a variety of 9MM firearms, with 2" to 16" barrels. From a 4" semi-auto barrel it averaged 1196 FPS, from a 5" semi-auto barrel 1236 FPS. About what might be expected, given the factory 1200 FPS listing. The 1195 FPS from the 2" revolver I mentioned is correct though. Someone else was skeptical, so I later tested the same lot of ammo in the same revolver, it averaged 1197 FPS. Perhaps harder to believe, the same 124 +P HST averaged 1291 FPS in a 3" revolver. Over a good many years, I've tested 9 and 10MM factory and reloaded ammo in various semi-autos and revolvers. In guns of similar barrel length, velocities are more often than not higher in the revolvers.

Coincidentally, the latest issue of Shooting Times has an article on this very subject.
    A big factor in all of this is the actual bore's effect on velocity. Look at the second chart in the link, and compare the velocity results between the 5" Korth and 5" 1911 using the same ammunition - the Korth is 100 fps slower. So if a 2" revolver has similar velocities to a 4" auto, it may well be that the auto has a slow barrel and the revolver a fast one.

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: 9mm Luger Results

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5895 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiran View Post
    Actually, the question was:
    Thanks for joining late after the original post has been edited.
    NRA Certified RSO

Member #
    Liked
    160 times
    Thanks for joining late after the original post has been edited.
    Thanks for not being explicit in your post today that you were talking about the OP prior to an edit that occured 8 days ago. Do you think rock185 was aware of the edit before you corrected him?

Member #
    Liked
    1385 times
    Doesn't anybody say, "You're Welcome" anymore?

"Supposin' I was to go to work and learn how to... to read writin'. Well, how'd I know that the feller that... that wrote the writin' was a writin' the writin' right? Here I might be just a readin' wrong writin', don't ya see?"
    [Festus Haggen]

Member #
    Liked
    5895 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Verminator View Post
    Doesn't anybody say, "You're Welcome" anymore?

It's been peaceful since 4/11/19

Thank you
    NRA Certified RSO

Member #
    Liked
    1385 times
    It's been peaceful since 4/11/19

Thank you
    You're welcome.

"An armed society is a polite society."
    --Robert Heinlein
    Rule3 likes this.
    "Supposin' I was to go to work and learn how to... to read writin'. Well, how'd I know that the feller that... that wrote the writin' was a writin' the writin' right? Here I might be just a readin' wrong writin', don't ya see?"
    [Festus Haggen]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Links