Hardcast for hunting?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Hardcast for hunting?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Hardcast for hunting?

I reciently picked up a 6” madel 629 and I love it. I want to practice all year for Wisconsins gun deer season. I gave contacted my local dnr and they refered me to local game wardens who I can not get a hold of. Does anyone know if it is ok to hunt with hard cast lead in WI?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    14516 times
    No reason not to. Don't think the land of Cheese has a no lead policy (like some Western States do). Having said that I think I'd load 240 grain Nosler or Sierra .429 JHP's. Much better kill power than lead in that gun. Your big issue will be effective range. Light crimp in Starline brass. I use Lil Gun myself.
    lawdog and jeepnut like this.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    4393 times
    Your dnr has the answer. Just go high enough. I've killed deer and hogs with my cast swc's in 357/44mag/444marlin. They makes critters dead quick.
    Breakaway500, lawdog and jeepnut like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Hard cast with a wide meplat has an excellent reputation among handgun hunters.
    As previously noted...Effective range with a 6" revolver will be important to establish and observe.
    "A man's got to know his limitations"
    Breakaway500, lawdog and BonitaBob like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2403 times
    According to page 18 of the Wisconsin Hunting Regs

“ ...Handguns
    Handguns must use center-fire cartridges of .22 caliber or larger and have a 5 1/2 inch minimum barrel length measured from the firing pin to the muzzle with the action closed. For details on muzzleloading handguns, see “Muzzleloaders” section above.... “

So, your 629 is okay.

I used the Lyman 429421 over 21 grains of 2400 to harvest several deer before switching to the 45 long Colt and black powder. If I were to go back to the 44, I would use the same bullet or one with a wider meplat. If I were to cast my own the alloy would be around 20/1, lead/tin.

Kevin
    jeepnut, Injunbro, Ratzo and 2 others like this.
    Knowledge should be shared and not hoarded.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    14516 times
    Well guys, I've taken Michigan White tails out to 75 yards with my long barrel 44RM loaded with the Noslers. You can buy a box of Nsolers (250) for about the same cost as HCL pills witout the aggrivation, why I don't bother with them in the first place. For me, lead is for fishing sinkers and that it.

I never allude to any loads on any forum, I only list the propellant, the pill and the case because giving anyone a load is asking for issues. People should never use another persons load data unless it's been tested and proven reliable with certified test equipment.

bad business all around.
    Last edited by SidecarFlip; 04-03-2019 at 08:39 AM.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    6441 times
    I have used Hornady 240 grain XTP's for years with no problems. Powder is H110. For practice, I use 240 LSC over a milder load , but I much prefer JHP's for hunting. May have to adjust the sights a little.
    Good luck

Member #
    Liked
    257 times
    I fired some hard cast .357 magnum and JHP bullets into a stack of paper, several years ago. The hard cast bullets penetrated twice as far as the JHP although they were launched at a lower velocity. The only difference between the fired and un-fired hard cast bullets was the rifling marks on the fired ones.

The point is, understand the terminal ballistics of your hunting bullets vs. the critters you are hunting.

Hector
    msharley likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    636 times
    Hector has hit the nail on the head, IMHO. Hornady XTP in .45 Colt worked very well on deer at 10-25 yds. Hard cast are penetrators, to my knowledge. Never hunted anything- bear,etc.- that I felt required them. Softer lead at more moderate velocities are very nice plinking loads. My 2 cents worth. Hank

Member #
    Liked
    172 times
    I use HyTek Coated lead for Hog Hunting. 180gr in my .8 3/8” M686 stoked with a heavy dose of H110. Get around 1300-1350fps. Does a great job up to 50 yards. That’s my limit for Hogs. I want enough velocity for penetration. For deer with same gun I normally use 158gr Speer JHP and trust it and myself up to 75 yards
    mkoepp likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links