PPU Ammo
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: PPU Ammo

Member #
    Liked
    18629 times

PPU Ammo

Anyone on here buy and shoot PPU (Privi-Partisan) factory loaded ammunition?

Reason I ask is because I had a couple boxes of PPU 338 caliber rifle loads that one. were supposed to be 250 grain HPBT bullets but were in fact 285 grain (I weighed them as I pulled the rounds apart) and the primer pockets inside the cases were loaded with burrs which impacts primer flame travel and propellant ignition negatively. Finally the powder charge consisted of 2 distinct powders, what looked like H1000 (which is the preferred propellant for a 338 caliber bullet but there was also a quantity of spherical propellant in each case.

The rounds were junk, the primers were so hard that ignition was inconsistent and the PPU distributor actually refunded my money but in as much as 338 brass alone is over 2 bucks a case, I figure I'll rework the cases and reload them with real hunting bullets and propellant and good primers.

reason I'm posting this is because PPU offers many handgun calibers but from my firsthand experience with the 338 caliber, I would strongly suspect that the grain weight of the buller marked on the box and the actual weight to be 2 different things entirely.

Buyer beware.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    37542 times
    I've shot their 7.62 x 38r ammo. (for an M1895 Nagant revolver)
    It shot OK.

Member #
    Liked
    902 times
    I had a case of PPU .380. My Bersa BP380cc (cheapest gun I owned) had no problem with it, but my G42's (both of them) absolutely and positively would not work with it. Mosty FTF but some stovepipes, etc. A friend's wife really liked my G42, so her husband bought her one. I warned him about the PPU. He, of course, didn't pay attention. Not too many weeks later he was selling the PPU real cheap at the club to anyone who would buy it.

I wound up trading the Bersa in when I bought my Shield 380EZ, simply because the Bersa was all but impossible for a person with only 2 hands and arms to take apart and reassembly for simple field stripping. Three hands might have made it easier. Well, that plus the fact that as my arthritis gets worse and my hands get weaker, I could no longer rack the slide back without using my HandiRacker.

Sorry for the digression. I will not buy anymore PPU of any caliber.
    Bob K likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10066 times
    I ran a box of that ammo through my 77/22 Hornet and it was accurate and consistent . No gripes here .
    Forester likes this.

COME TAKE IT.
    To friends , I'm "Thud". Proud Supporter of Buckeye Firearms Assn.

Member #
    Liked
    1038 times
    I've shot 30/30, use the PPU 30.06 Garand ammo, 7.62X54R, and a couple other calibers. IME, it's been fine ammo. Great quality for the price.

Sounds like you got a real stinko batch, tho...

Member #
    Liked
    5049 times
    I haven’t tried it but have been tempted due to low cost. I thought I would wait until the verdict was in. A friend bought some and loved it but a month later he said it worked in some guns but not others. That sounds like inconsistency in load or physical parameters like projectile weight, etc. My thoughts in the end were why buy cheap ammo and risk a nice gun. I decided to pay a little extra and for costly ammo like 38 spl, 45 acp I would defray cost by reloading more.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    Have A Good One,
    Rob

He that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Jesus

‘Twern’t be no good if it wasn’t loaded! John Wayne

I invest in Lead, Brass and Copper. Me

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7037 times
    I've shot it in .308 and .30-06 with no problems. In fact, I've been shooting it for years with no problems. I'm really surprised to hear others have had incidents. This is the first I've heard.
    sdismukes likes this.

Carl

​S&WCA | SAF | GOA Life | NRA Benefactor

Member #
    Liked
    9592 times
    I bought a case of their 32 S&W long..all shot well..accurate..and at $17/box of 50..affordable.
    Ignorance is bliss

Member #
    Liked
    6665 times
    We will probably stop selling it at the store a lot of complaints with it in all calibers. Guess cheap isn't always good.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18629 times
    A little update.. I've pulled 40 rounds apart now. Remember that 338's are huge cases and substantial in weight and size.

Of the 40 I've pulled and deprimed, every one had a mix of powder, looked like H100 and something ball powder like but what was interesting to me besides the really burred up flash holes was there is no consistency in projectiles. Some bullets were solids, some were lead core FMJ, some were smooth jackets (no canulere) and some had a distinct step in them. I saved most of them and the propellant, I'll have to snap a picture later today and post it.

No way could you get consistent external ballistics with that stuff. On a good note, the brass is consistent in weight.

Normally for handloads in magnum calibers I buy top shelf components, Lapua or Norma brass, Federal Gold Medal Match primers and Hodgdon or Alliant powder, but I had them so I figure I'll rework them.

Now that the pockets are uniformed and deburred, I'll wet tumble them and anneal the necks, run them through a bushing sizer die (Whidden 0.363 bushing), check the case OAL to make sure they are consistent and within spec and load them. Berger 250 Elite Hunters, 215 primers 84 grains of H1000 (start load) for laddering and jumped as long as I can get in the external magazine.

I'm of the opinion that PPU is on par with Wolf except the PPU has brass cases, the Wolf is steel cased.

Might not be an issue with handguns because of the limited range but with a long distance round like a 338, inconsistent projectiles equals terrible ballistics.

I also have on the shelf, a couple boxes of Sierra 250 grain hunting bullets in lead core spitzers, I'll probably load some of them as well. Always had good results with Sierra but the BC on a Sierra is no where as efficient as the Bergers because the ogive on the Bergers is much more tapered so the fly more efficiently.
    delcrossv likes this.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links