.44 Spec For Self-Defense.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: .44 Spec For Self-Defense.

Member #
    Liked
    301 times

.44 Spec For Self-Defense.

Recently started running .44 Spec through the magnum on the range for plinking. As those who use it would already know, significantly lighter on the wrists and less concussive. It's a fun round on the range. I've read a lot of it, but what can anybody in here from personal experience have to say about it as a self defense round? What are the knock-down qualities compared other more common EDC calibers? I've been burning simple 240gr semi-wadcutters. Are there any recommendations for specific better-hitting cartridges more designed toward real-world situations for home defense or carry? I think this may be a good round for the Mrs as she very reluctant with straight magnum.
    I can not associate myself with a site that not only permits racists among its members, but takes sanctions against members who stand up to them. To tolerate racism is to empower it.

Member #
    Liked
    3312 times
    My favorite cartridge from a revolver launches a 235 grain bullet at about 900 FPS. It is my edc revolver. Common name for the cartridge is the 45 ACP. The 44 Special can match that easily.

Since 1907 the 44 Special has impressed a lot of folks as a cartridge for hunting, law enforcement or personal defense. You could choose a lot worse. I would see you choose something besides the magnum revolver for a launch pad but I prefer the 4” tapered barrel on an “N” frame.

Kevin
    Last edited by StrawHat; 03-19-2019 at 05:10 AM.
    Knowledge should be shared and not hoarded.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    My favorite cartridge from a revolver launches a 235 grain bullet at about 900 FPS. It is my edc revolver. Common name for the cartridge is the 45 ACP. The 44 Special can match that easily.

Since 1907 the 44 Special has impressed a lot of folks as a cartridge for hunting, law enforcement or personal defense. You could choose a lot worse. I would see you choose something besides the magnum revolver for a launch pad but I prefer the 4” tapered barrel on an “N” frame.

Kevin
    +1

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5547 times
    In a factory loading for self defense, I like the Underwood 200 gr. Jacketed HP (Gold Dot)

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...18785722138681

And the Underwood 190 LSWC HP...........

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...18785705099321

My personal handload for defense is a Winchester Silver Tip 210 gr HP over a dollop of 2400.

I've carried the 44 Special for over a half century.....It's one of the Best.

I'm a True Believer....

Last edited by Keith44Spl; 03-20-2019 at 01:35 AM.
    In God We Trust
    Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying,
    Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?
    Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Member #
    Liked
    62855 times
    I think the 44 special is an excellent self defense round. The older I get, the more I find that a heavier mass does not have to travel fast to be very effective at SD distances. Also lots easier on the wrist and joints. The 44 special out of a 44 mag is kinda like my 41 mag. I have a lighter SD and target load but a nice hot load for the rifle or Ruger to go hunting. Very versatile so would definitely test some loads (even factory) at the range to get the best one for you and your gun. I like using Wadcutters and hollow points for AD and SWC or Wadcutters for targets.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5547 times
    Underwood also has a wadcutter loading.....200 grain at around 1000 fps.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...18785707360313
    In God We Trust
    Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying,
    Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?
    Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Member #
    Liked
    10070 times
    I agree with Keith44Spl. The only difference is I use a Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel bullet of 200 grains in the 696.

COME TAKE IT.
    To friends , I'm "Thud". Proud Supporter of Buckeye Firearms Assn.

Member #
    Liked
    4361 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcope822 View Post
    I agree with Keith44Spl. The only difference is I use a Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel bullet of 200 grains in the 696.
    So do I.
    I have used my M696 as my carry gun a few times when I was providing Armed Bodyguard services. I figger if I hafta draw down on some abuser I want him lookin' in the front of the cylinder at those big Gold Dots and decide to back down.
    Jim

Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    The terminal velocity and impact of a .44 special is slightly greater than a standard .45ACP round, but not enough to make much difference. However, the terminaL velocity and impact of a .45ACP +P is significantly greater than a standard .44 special. From my perspective, if you are comfortable with a standard capacity .44 special revolver, then carry it. If you want greater capacity, a 45ACP or 9 mm is the answer.

Any of the above rounds would be effective in a SD situation, if you get the first shot on target in nearly all cases.

Of course, if you put .44 mag loads in the pistol, you would pretty much leave the ballpark compared to the other common SD calibers. That said, Dirty Harry is now carrying only the 8th most powerful handgun on the planet.

The fact is there are pistol loads and calibers available in this day and age capable of putting down any mammal on earth. What is appropriate for SD is highly subjective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Oldgungeezer and Curt360 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    301 times
    Thanks guys. That's some good insight, solid tips. After 30 years of shooting it feels really good to be "discovering" a new cartridge.

This is helpful. I really appreciate the input.
    I can not associate myself with a site that not only permits racists among its members, but takes sanctions against members who stand up to them. To tolerate racism is to empower it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links