Smith And Wesson Forums banner

9mm Vs. .45

16K views 84 replies 48 participants last post by  cp1969 
#1 ·
#66 ·
#67 ·
There is always the question of........Why did the government law enforcement agencies go back to 9mm?

Easy. It had much more to do with recoil than stopping power.

Mostly due to a huge increase in women officers. Smaller person.......smaller hands.

Smaller hands couldn't handle the recoil of the .40 S&W.

#68 ·
Have shot various animals w/ revolvers, usually .38/.357 caliber. One of my church members looked at my M-1 Garand and thought it was to much gun for hogs. I didn't think so. He used a S&W Victory model in .38 Special. Must say, it worked very well for him when hunting with dogs. I ... I preferred my M-1 ... with M-2 ball ... didn't mess things up like soft-points. Besides, never had any use for hogs head! Have not yet used a 9mm or .45 ACP on live targets. Would expect either one would do as least as well as .357 Mag. from hard off the muzzle to say 15-20 yds. Beyond that, I'll probably just shoot it with my rifle. For SD/HD ... just don't think it matters. Not going to fire just one round regardless of the results of the first round. Will fire for effect until satisfied with the effect. Will expect rule 0 to apply ... i.e., 0 hits will have no effect. Like algebra ... will have to solve for the unknown ... so ... SH + EH = SS ... i.e., Shoot Handgun (whatever I find handy) + Effective Hits (you know!!!) = Situation Solved. It's the EH part that is always questionable. To many unknown variables that can affect the EH part. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

#75 ·
As many know, my choice is an N frame in 45 ACP. It is what I can handle most comfortably. Are there better choices? Not for me at this time. Ask me when I am 75.

My eldest cousin is currently preferring his 1911s to be 9mm versions. The 45 is too punishing on his arms and wrists. Also, for him the 9’s improve his hits on target because the 1911s apparently recoil less when 9mm.

Kevin

#83 ·
I just can't shake the feeling that .45 acp has probably benefited from the same technological advances in the last couple of decades that 9mm has. Here's how The Great Caliber War stacks up for me:
I really enjoy shooting .45 acp.
Even more, I really, really enjoy shooting it in my 1911.
Sadly, my 1911 is the only gun I have chambered in .45.
A worst-case scenario involves a failure of my SD bullet to expand. In that case, .45 is preferable on the "bigger holes are better than smaller holes" theory.
I waited far, far too long to get a 1911 to consider trading it off.
I don't particularly enjoy CC-in my 1911.
I can shoot more 9mm than I can .45 acp for the same price.
I can carry more 9mm than I can .45 for the same weight.
I can carry my G19 or Shield far more comfortably than I can my 1911.
At the end of the day, it turns out that while I really like .45, I carry 9mm most of the time.

#84 ·
I carry 45 ACP. But in training (600+ rounds) I use 9MM. Between cost and wear and tear on my old hands and wrists, training a little softer recoil helps not build bad habits. But the 45 ACP is the one that I practice drawing and dry fire the most since that is the one that is there when I need it most.

#85 ·
I didn't read all the posts, so I apologize if this is redundant.

I prefer whichever one penetrates the best, and yes, that means FMJ ammo is fine with me. I don't care in the least about expansion because I assume none is going to occur. The FBI shootout in Miami was prolonged because someone's 9mm stopped about an inch short of the worst of the two bad guys' heart on a sideways shot that went through the right arm and entered the chest cavity but didn't make it to the heart. It was a fatal shot but not a stopping shot. I believe that possibly cost two cops their lives. I want to make two holes with one shot, whether I have a frontal or side shot. That way if there's anything in that path worth hitting, it will get hit.

No worries about over penetration, either. Missed shots are the ultimate in over penetration, not being slowed down at all, yet cops and civilians alike fire them in abundance. The percentage of hits in a gunfight is surprisingly low, so the odds of you having a miss or two is quite high. I would guess this comes from the lack of ability to hit a moving target which is not very easy to practice on a range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.