9mm Vs. .45
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree278Likes

Thread: 9mm Vs. .45

Member #
    Liked
    1459 times
    Until I can carry a ten shot shotgun concealed......I'll stick with my Glock 30 for the most dangerous outings.

It conceals almost as well as my 36s and it blows big holes in things.
    "Supposin' I was to go to work and learn how to... to read writin'. Well, how'd I know that the feller that... that wrote the writin' was a writin' the writin' right? Here I might be just a readin' wrong writin', don't ya see?"
    [Festus Haggen]

Member #
    Liked
    10520 times
    1. Shot placement is King.
    2. Penetration is Queen.
    3. Reliable function of the firearm is required to repeat 1 & 2 as often as necessary.

All the rest of it I have seen, heard or read almost continually since the early 1980's.

Of all the opinions I have sifted through I would add that of Walter D.M. "Karamojo" Bell who hunted elephants with a .303, .275 Rigby or 6.5X54MS in the heyday of that trade. Shot placement is everything. A 180 grain bullet precisely placed is fully adequate. A 500 grain bullet less properly placed can make life exciting.
    Injunbro likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1459 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Waidmann View Post
    1. Shot placement is King.
    2. Penetration is Queen.
    3. Reliable function of the firearm is required to repeat 1 & 2 as often as necessary.

All the rest of it I have seen, heard or read almost continually since the early 1980's.

Of all the opinions I have sifted through I would add that of Walter D.M. "Karamojo" Bell who hunted elephants with a .303, .275 Rigby or 6.5X54MS in the heyday of that trade. Shot placement is everything. A 180 grain bullet precisely placed is fully adequate. A 500 grain bullet less properly placed can make life exciting.
    Come on now........we are not shooting elephants.

To make the Karamojo comparison valid we'd have to be shooting our thugs in the brain with a .22 pistol.

In the Glock 30 I find total reliability in a weapon that does a little more damage than the 9mm with about the same recoil.

Yes, it is a little better. Not a lot better, but enough to possibly make a difference in that one key situation to save my life.
    "Supposin' I was to go to work and learn how to... to read writin'. Well, how'd I know that the feller that... that wrote the writin' was a writin' the writin' right? Here I might be just a readin' wrong writin', don't ya see?"
    [Festus Haggen]

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1459 times
    Name:  handgun_gel_comparison.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  123.5 KB
    [Festus Haggen]

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22368 times
    Name:  IMG_1850 (Large).JPG
Views: 44
Size:  266.3 KB

.38 special double taps work just fine.
    Injunbro likes this.

Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less

Robert E. Lee

Member #
    Liked
    1459 times
    Quote Originally Posted by K22 View Post
    Name:  IMG_1850 (Large).JPG
Views: 44
Size:  266.3 KB

.38 special double taps work just fine.
    If it can be done under the pressure of someone shooting at you........great.

But I wonder.
    [Festus Haggen]

Member #
    Liked
    1459 times
    There is always the question of........Why did the government law enforcement agencies go back to 9mm?

Easy. It had much more to do with recoil than stopping power.

Mostly due to a huge increase in women officers. Smaller person.......smaller hands.

Smaller hands couldn't handle the recoil of the .40 S&W.
    [Festus Haggen]

Member #
    Liked
    8138 times
    Have shot various animals w/ revolvers, usually .38/.357 caliber. One of my church members looked at my M-1 Garand and thought it was to much gun for hogs. I didn't think so. He used a S&W Victory model in .38 Special. Must say, it worked very well for him when hunting with dogs. I ... I preferred my M-1 ... with M-2 ball ... didn't mess things up like soft-points. Besides, never had any use for hogs head! Have not yet used a 9mm or .45 ACP on live targets. Would expect either one would do as least as well as .357 Mag. from hard off the muzzle to say 15-20 yds. Beyond that, I'll probably just shoot it with my rifle. For SD/HD ... just don't think it matters. Not going to fire just one round regardless of the results of the first round. Will fire for effect until satisfied with the effect. Will expect rule 0 to apply ... i.e., 0 hits will have no effect. Like algebra ... will have to solve for the unknown ... so ... SH + EH = SS ... i.e., Shoot Handgun (whatever I find handy) + Effective Hits (you know!!!) = Situation Solved. It's the EH part that is always questionable. To many unknown variables that can affect the EH part. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

Member #
    Liked
    6862 times
    Name:  10mm Backstop.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  82.2 KB
    Verminator, BonitaBob and Iggy like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

Member #
    Liked
    1459 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Name:  10mm Backstop.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  82.2 KB
    The Nuclear Option.

[Festus Haggen]

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Links