9mm Vs. .45
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree216Likes

Thread: 9mm Vs. .45

Member #
    Liked
    5018 times
    Mrerick and Injunbro, I agree with both your approaches. That is why I put the OO-Buck in. Increased odds of hitting the vital “gotcha” spot. In reality when I’m home I grab the shot gun with a revolver backup. On then street I carry a revolver (357 mag) primary and a pistol (9mm) backup. I used to carry a 45 acp primary and a 9mm backup. The reason was I didn’t see much difference in killing/stopping power either. I was more comfortable with the 45 acp.

Not bragging, but I’m a pretty good shot and most times hit what I aim at. I usually score high in competitions but my speed has slowed down some as I have passed the big 60, it happens. I still train and do some completion to keep the aim on the stamina as good as I can get. I also like to stay sharp with skeet and some trap. Never gotten in to sporting clays but I can see why some folks like it.

I have used 45 acp to kill hogs and such effectively. I would prefer it over a 9mm in most cases. Personal preference, comfort with and confidence is the reason. I have taken deer and hogs with the 357 Magnum. Does the trick every time so far. I haven’t tried .38 spl yet.
    Have A Good One,
    Rob

He that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Jesus

‘Twern’t be no good if it wasn’t loaded! John Wayne

I invest in Lead, Brass and Copper. Me

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23942 times
    Both calibers are powerful enough to require locked breech design handguns. Yes - a few unlocked breech guns have been made, but they are impracticably heavy. Think "Hi-Point" in 9mm.

Smaller calibers starting with the .380 acp have been widely produced with unlocked breech designs, and some of the modern ones appear to be very cheaply made. For example, one of my students brought a brand new M&P .380 Bodyguard to class, and it promptly locked up after about 4 shots. Something in the mechanism failed internally. It was a qualification run for CCH permit, and we loaned the student a replacement firearm in 9mm.

I don't have a problem with older all steel guns that are in the smaller calibers and have unlocked breech designs. The Walther Suhl, Ulm and Arkansas manufactured PP and PPK are good examples of well made guns.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    5889 times
    The 38 special is to small and only 6 shots
    The 9mm has good capacity but is to small
    The 45 Is so big and has limited capacity
    The 10 mm is much more powerful but agents can't deal with the recoil
    The 40 SW gives more capacity. less recoil that a 10mm and almost the bullet size of a 45, but is has still has to much recoil for some new snowflakes

After all the money, testing and wasted firearm purchases lets use:

THE 9MM.

Now, since the FBI likes the 9mm again, the general public now hates the 40SW and 40 SW handguns have flooded the market.

Kinda like what is the new I Phone!

Last edited by Rule3; 11-24-2018 at 04:48 PM.
    Nrah, msharley, BonitaBob and 1 others like this.
    NRA Certified RSO

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3021 times
    I've tried both 9mm and 45 acp. I've found the 9mm a little more difficult to control recoil on. The 45 acp I can control and recover the sight picture much faster.
    I tried this using the same gun per say. There both SA 4 in XD models. Essentially the same gun. My steel 45 acp pistols I've found recoil recovery to be quicker.
    Maybe it's me, dont know.
    What I do know, shoot what you can hit with multiple times. For me, that's a 45.
    msharley, Diabloman and BonitaBob like this.
    With the cost of ammo so high, dont expect a warning shot.
    The family.

Member #
    Liked
    6243 times
    9mm vs .45 ACP? Never heard of such a comparison.

How about , ummm , let's say , .41 Remington Magnum.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." G.R. Ford

Member #
    Liked
    6526 times
    I use 9mm because the guns I carry during warmer weather are smaller. During the cooler months the 45 is what I prefer.
    19and41, Leo918 and BonitaBob like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6571 times
    Caliber debates are as useless as standing on the sea shore with arms outstretched to stop the waves from hitting the shore...
    Rule3, 1av8r and Bumpus like this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    39508 times
    I love the title, why are we arguing about... Because folks like and want to argue! Both are just tools, think of it who would scare you more, Jerry Miculek with a 9mm or even a .22 or the typical street trash with a .45? Which do you think would be more effective at putting holes in your body quickly and where it would do the most harm, Miculek or the idiot holding his pistol sideways?
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

Member #
    Liked
    986 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Minorcan View Post
    But it’s hard to fit a shotgun in my pocket.
    Well, now that you mention it, there IS the S&W Governor, 6 rounds of .410 triple ought, that
    will fit in a large pocket very nicely. And shoots well, too.

But, I'll take ol' Mr. FatNslow 45ACP, myself, anytime.

But Rule3 makes an excellent point, if you are looking for a good gun and cheap ammo
    on a budget, you could do a lot worse than the 40 S&Ws that are getting dumped on the market,
    right now.
    Last edited by Nrah; 11-24-2018 at 08:33 PM.
    msharley and 19and41 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2125 times
    Another copy and paste article about an ad nauseam subject. Equal and opposite reaction, hmm, and this relates to fluid dynamics how? Good grief, whatever happened to bullet selection/construction, there's an overlap in calibers, carry for the perceived threat/environment. I recently read an article and in the author's opinion, the .357mag is inefficient, really??? Yup, really. A JHP is only as good as its weakest petal...I'm bored.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Links