Ammo recommendations
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Ammo recommendations

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Ammo recommendations

I just picked up the Perormance Center M&P ported 9mm with stainless steel 5” barrel. What ammo would you suggest for performance and protecting my investment? I am looking at using it for range training and home defense. Thanks in advance

Member #
    Liked
    13559 times
    Hey B,

Welcome to S&W.

Federal American. Winchester White Box.... If you start shooting a lot......you may want to look into reloading...

Later, Mark
    Curt360, RDLouks and BonitaBob like this.
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E. Lee

Marlinitis Symptoms: More daily.

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.........

Member #
    Liked
    80293 times
    Hey Burdojodi,

Welcome to the forum. We would love to see pics of your new purchase! We like those here. Ammo advice by msharley is good! Great people and good info here.
    msharley likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1467 times
    Welcome aboard. This is a good place to be, learn, and offer your thoughts.

Ammo selection should be based upon barrel length since that is one of the factors of muzzle velocity/energy. With a 5 inch barrel almost any FMJ ammo of decent equality will suffice for shooting paper. I shoot Remington 115 grain FMJ for punching paper.

Since the level of your shot I g experience is not known I wan to suggest that you break in your gun before assessing accuracy. I suggest buying some inexpensive 115g FMJ and shooting couple hundred rounds through the gun just to get it broken in. That volume of shots will get the recoil, trigger, and striker spring tension about where it should be to achieve the best accuracy.

For home defense a good JHP round is one way to go. However, do not assume that all JHP is equal. I saw comparison tests of Federal HST I. 124g and 147g in ballistic gel and the 124g expanded better than the 147g out of the same gun. That is counterintuitive, but that was the result. Assuming that YouTube does delete ammo test videos in its newly announced policy about firearm videos you will find lots of ammo evaluations there.

My self defense pistol has a 4 inch barrel. That is long enough to assure any hollow point round will open provides that nothing at the target prevents it from opening. However, I do not use HP ammo. I will explain my SD ammo choice later.

Defensive ammo should achieve between 12 and 18 inches of penetration in ballistic gel at 10 feet target distance when shot through a 4 layer of denim barrier. Whatever bullet creates the greatest wound channel over that penetration is the best choice. Achieving that deep penetration and full expansion can be impeded by the denim barrier if the denim clogs the HP round thus preventing it from expanding properly. In that case you get penetration with inferior expansion. Effectively the HP round will act like FMJ and penetrate deeper than a proper expanding HP would. FMJ is quite lethal if you hit the right spots or fire multiple rounds into the target, but expanding HP is better.

The advantage of FMJ is that it is barrier blind. It plow through clothing, glass, wallboard, sheet metal, etc and still be lethal. HP is much more likely to exhibit impaired performance as barriers become more resistant. Generally the HP mushrooms on impact with the barrier and that means it will not penetrate as deeply into the actual target because it has become wide prematurely. Penetration is more important than expansion when it comes to lethality.

That means that the any round that achieves consistent penetration from 12to 18 inches while creating a large wound channel regardless of barrier encounter is an excellent choice for self defense ammo. There is an ammo that will do that.

Monolithic/hydrostatic bullets achieve proper penetration and create wound channels at least a large or larger than HP. The bullet is made of a single composition (monolithic) bullet add of copper so it penetrates barriers like FMJ. Hydrostatic means it uses fluid dynamics to create destructive force, and that means a big wound channel even after after penetrating barriers. It will not it plug up while penetrating denim, bone, or other materials, and it does not rely on expansion to create a large wound channel. A FMK hit is like a nail being driven. A HP hit is like a nail of greater diameter being drive. A monolithic hydrostatic round is like a a drill bit ripping it’s way into the target. There are many videos on YouTube that establish the greater effectiveness. The most popular round is Underwood Extreme Defender. They also make an Extreme Penetrator in the event you go hiking in bear or cougar country.

I train with 115g Remington 9mm FMJ at the range,. and I carry Underwood 95g Extreme Defender ammo in my 4”barrel pistol. I hike nine months of the year in Pennsylvania black bear country, and I carry Extreme Penetrator on those occasions.
    “There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.”
    General James Mattis, USMC retired and now Def Sec

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Richard, thank you for the great info.
    Simper Fi Brother

Member #
    Liked
    3882 times
    Blazer 124 one of my favorite factory rounds.
    https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...2.cfm/ID/79655
    msharley likes this.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
    "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."
    Pennsylvania Constitution; article 1 section 21
    Be Blessed, spud.308

Member #
    Liked
    1467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brunojodi View Post
    Richard, thank you for the great info.
    Simper Fi Brother
    I was downloading favorite YouTube vids since they are cleaning house on gun videos, and cam across this one that pushed me to go from HP to monolithic hyrdrostatIc ammo. It is worthy the 30 minutes it takes to watch. It compares against Federal HST and then ignored it once it shows it is less effective than Extreme Devender ammo. It is worth watching.

Member #
    Liked
    947 times
    Federal HST works well in 124 gr or 147 gr in that pistol.

Member #
    Liked
    1467 times
    In post #4 above I referred to a comparison of Federal HST and Underwood Extreme Dedender. While there are sveral on you tube that show the superiority of the Underwood ammo there is one that illustrates that superiority exceptionally well. It is at:

https://youtu.be/1UA6GniHrO0

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    849 times
    Richard, I watched it and ordered some. Thanks! Semper Fi from an old doggy sgt. Hank ps. The auto- correct changes Semper to Simper. Backward sob’s!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links