SA 1911 9MM vs kimber stainless 2 9mm
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: SA 1911 9MM vs kimber stainless 2 9mm

Member #
    Liked
    18 times

SA 1911 9MM vs kimber stainless 2 9mm

I have the opportunity to get either or. What would you lean towards. Some have bashed kimber quality on here which concerns me. On the other hand SA is praised and I rarely hear complaints. So if u had the chance, what would u pick?

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2956 times
    Thread moved....
    Let go of anything that stops you from having everything…DM

Dom

Member #
    Liked
    901 times
    I've had many Springfield 1911s and they were all great guns. Never owned a Kimber so can't speak to their quality or customer service. I would probably go with the Kimber because they are made in America. Springfield's frames are forged in Brazil. JMHO

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4671 times
    I'd opt for the Springfield.

Member #
    Liked
    289 times
    I have both SA and Kimber. I would go with the SA. The Brazil connection is interesting. First of all Imbel in Brazil is a large multinational arms manufacture and does really good work. Also on other forums several of the SA faithful are saying SA is now getting the frames and slides from a source in the US. Of course you have seen many of them made in the USA for years since even if they get the frames and slides from Imbel, if over 70% of the work on the finished product is done in the US, then it is made in America.

I could see Imbel dumping SA since Imbel has several large contracts to upgrade all the handguns and most of the rifles for the Brazilian Army and is probably pretty busy. I was hopeful the 9mm 1911s a lot of the units were using might find their way up here but I guess they are going to their home gaurd from one story I read.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Member #
    Liked
    6890 times
    The Kimbers I have are in 45 and 38 super and I find them to be very accurate and dependable with excellent finishing. Both were purchased some years back, so I cannot speak to recent quality from experience.
    I have a SA range Officer in 9mm and it is a very good pistol. I did have to send it back to Springfield because the trigger pull initially was about 6 pounds. they tweaked it and it is now about 4.5 and smoother. Functioning has been 100 % from the start and accuracy is good. Kimbers are a little more expensive. Good luck in your quest.

Member #
    Liked
    13856 times
    Springfield Armory hands down. Forged frame & slide. I had Wilson swap all the MIM parts with bullet proof parts. My good friend John, who works at Wilson told me they (wilson) can't/won't work on Kimber's because they are MIM frame and slides and internals. I will never own a Kimber because the snotty SOB in customer service. John said MIM parts are hard to fit. I inherited a bunch of Colt 1911's that are locked away in my safe. I got my SA 1911 A1 back from Wilson and it's just like it was from SA. I shoot my SA ALOT. Good Ole 1911! JMO
    Last edited by Diabloman; 04-30-2015 at 05:00 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    28029 times
    Quote Originally Posted by William Munny View Post
    I've had many Springfield 1911s and they were all great guns. Never owned a Kimber so can't speak to their quality or customer service. I would probably go with the Kimber because they are made in America. Springfield's frames are forged in Brazil. JMHO
    I seriously doubt that Kimber forges their own frame so who knows where it comes from and like Dakota said, if 70% of its made in the USA, then they can say its Made In USA. I actually think its a lower percentage than that. Ruger claims that every part of their 1911 right down to springs, pins and screws is made in USA.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    18232 times
    I might be missing the boat on this MIM and cast preference stuff. I'd much rather look at the whole package. Does the weapon have the features you like at an acceptable price point? What's the barrel configuration? Rifling? Sights? Trigger pressure and let off? Does it stack or release like broken glass? Mag well? How's the service when something doesn't go the way you want?

Buying a pistol only because it's supposed to have a forged frame is like marrying a woman because you like her ear lobes. Best look at the whole package.
    Last edited by USMC Snakedriver; 04-29-2015 at 01:01 AM.
    needsmostuff and Wiregrassguy like this.

Member #
    Liked
    28029 times
    I can vouch for Springfields service. 2 years ago I got their Mil-spec version 1911 on tax day, April 15. In August of that year the front sight came off the gun while I was shooting it. I contacted SA and they emailed me a return label for the slide. I sent it in on a thursday and had the slide back with new front sight by the following thursday. I've shot the heck out of it since then and the new sight is still firmly in place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links