Bushing Compensators
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By StrawHat

Thread: Bushing Compensators

Member #
    Liked
    3229 times

Bushing Compensators

My elder(ly) brother is getting to where working the slide on a 1911 is not as easy as it used to be. I have suggested a Browning HiPower, a 1917, 9mm 1911, etc but he insists on a 45 ACP 1911!

I seem to remember somewhere in the past an extended bushing compensator that could be used to cylce the slide by pressing down on a hard surface. Can anyone point me toward it? I tried searching and asked on a 1911 forum but got a lot of different advice on how to work the slide.

Insert loaded magazine, place comp on hard surface, push. Slide goes back, cartridge feeds, release pressure, slide runs forward.

Thanks.

Kevin
    Last edited by StrawHat; 08-25-2019 at 09:08 PM.
    Knowledge should be shared and not hoarded.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Member #
    Liked
    11802 times
    Knight Custom made some bushing comps and so did Wilson combat and Chip McCormick but i have not seen any in years .
    TO Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Member #
    Liked
    5293 times
    Barrel bushing compensators are available from Brownells and MidwayUSA. Another option would be new sights that are designed so that the rear sight can be pressed against the edge of a table.

In the dusty recesses of my brain, I recall that a person had to monkey with recoil springs to get the slide to work properly with the compensator.
    If you can't be who you are, then you don't exist.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5011 times
    Is the problem that he doesn't keep it cocked and locked? Maybe he should think about a DA/SA 45?

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-97-bd-...ts-10-rd-mags/
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    3229 times
    Quote Originally Posted by delcrossv View Post
    Is the problem that he doesn't keep it cocked and locked? Maybe he should think about a DA/SA 45?

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-97-bd-...ts-10-rd-mags/
    Not really sure what his issue is. I can still work the slide and so can he. Maybe he is planning for a future date when he cannot work the slide? As for a DA/SA, probably not even going to be considered. He refuses to consider a 1917! Only a 1911 in 45 ACP. I have suggested a 9mm, 1911. NO!

So, maybe I can find the bushing I remember or maybe he will just have to "deal with it".

Kevin
    charles likes this.
    Knowledge should be shared and not hoarded.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Member #
    Liked
    8440 times
    To properly feed a round the slide should be released and allowed to slam home,,,, while pointing in a safe direction. A slow release as detailed may work , but it might not.

Bluntly put , If he cannot work the slide reliably he is not safe with it or protected by it.

He needs a different gun.
    Where am I going ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and why am I in this handbasket ?

You know my uncle , he's as honest as me . An I'm as honest as a government man can be.

Links