• 1 Post By Ohio MP

Thread: Sights For Auto Ordnance 1911

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    458 times

Sights For Auto Ordnance 1911

A few months back I bought an Auto Ordnance 1911. Not that I'm so much into 1911's (although they're neat), but because it's a Trump commemorative pistol. As such it's not going to be a carry gun, or a safe queen, it'll get shot a few times a year. But I plan to keep it low in the rounds through it department.

One thing I just don't care for is the sights. They just stink! Plain, plain, plain, and no color outline or dots or nothing. My old eyes can't use them well.

To my surprise, Auto Ordnance (Kahr Arms) doesn't even have an upgraded set of sights for this. This 1911 has a dovetail sight front and rear. checked with TruGlow, they told me they don't have sights to fit Auto Ordnance. So what are my options? Have a gun smith fit a set of nice sights to it? I don't wish to modify the gun aside from having the sights pressed in. So modifying new sights would be the better route I think.

Name:  Thompson 1911 Custom 45 ACP TRUMP MAGA - 01.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  670.6 KB
    charles likes this.
    I support diversity in firearm ownership
    ;
    ;

Arsenal SLR-107R AK-47 - 7.62x39
    Auto Ordnance 1911 - 45ACP
    Beretta 92FS, 92FS INOX, PX4 subcompact, PX4 compact
    CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom - 9mm
    FMK 9C1 G2 - 9mm
    Glock 21 Gen3 - 45 acp
    Heckler & Koch MR556A1, P30L, VP9
    Desert Eagle - 44 mag
    Mossberg 88 - 12 ga
    Sig Sauer P226 RX & P229 Compact - LEO
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 & 29-2
    Taurus TH9
    Walther PPK/s - 380 acpL,

Member #
    Liked
    10035 times
    There are several different dovetail cuts used by gun makers to accommodate sights from different companies . Even if your pistol has a cut designated as Novak , Kimber , or any other , the cut will most likely need to be reworked to accept whichever sight you choose .
    My RIA compact came with a Novak cut and still needed to have some slight rework to accept Novak low mount night sights .
    I'd advise you to pick a sight you like and have a good smith do whatever rework needed and install the new sights .

COME TAKE IT.
    To friends , I'm "Thud". Proud Supporter of Buckeye Firearms Assn.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    458 times
    I'm game to the sights aren't most likely going to be 100% drop on. But I need to find some that are close enough to fit the style as you mentioned of the dovetail. I came across sights by Ken Sight. So far the most options as far as sight types, and they list the dimensional differences in the dovetail dimensions. I can fit the sights if they're close. I have several very competent machinists that work for me, and like many, are gun nuts. I have brass drifts, and interestingly enough, the Ken Sights come with some installation punches. They look to be aluminum.

I sent them a message last night, and will see what they come back with on Monday.

https://stores.kensight.com/
    I support diversity in firearm ownership
    ;
    ;

Arsenal SLR-107R AK-47 - 7.62x39
    Auto Ordnance 1911 - 45ACP
    Beretta 92FS, 92FS INOX, PX4 subcompact, PX4 compact
    CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom - 9mm
    FMK 9C1 G2 - 9mm
    Glock 21 Gen3 - 45 acp
    Heckler & Koch MR556A1, P30L, VP9
    Desert Eagle - 44 mag