A little black dress and belt for a lovely young lady. (1911, really!)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: A little black dress and belt for a lovely young lady. (1911, really!)

Member #
    Liked
    13821 times
    Good Shoot'n......Granny! Nice rig!

Member #
    Liked
    6863 times
    Congrats on all of the adjustments you have made. Nice pistol and rig as well.

Member #
    Liked
    884 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepnut View Post
    Very nice rig there and is fun shooting with weak hand too. I have always been ambidextrous but my eyes not so much so I have to warm them up before switch. Is getting easier.
    Having shot "strong hand, weak hand" around barricades in competition for years I really didn't realize that actually changing the "strong hand" to the other side involved SO MANY CHANGES - in stance, learning to flick off the safety, dealing with the mag release button on guns that do not have reversible mag releases, and even in grip/aiming! And another little detail is putting your magazines into the belt carriers "the other way!"

It took a lot of practice, unlearning old muscle memory and learning new. I'm not only right eye dominant, but as soon as the gun comes up into position my left eye closes. I tried keeping both eyes open for a few months and all that accomplished was headaches! For well over a year I had to slightly cant the gun to keep my shots accurate. The last couple of times I've shot I noticed that I'm holding the gun straight up most of the time and getting patterns that are good enough for SD purposes (2" x 3" at 7 yards)- so THAT was a very gradual learning process.

Finally, now, shooting left handed has become natural for me: So much so that now I can't even get a proper grip on this Browning to squeeze the grip safety enough so that I can pull the trigger if I hold the gun in my right hand.
    Oldgungeezer and msharley like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    36914 times
    I for one, am very impressed........with the entire package.

You're quite the person.

Geeze
    ShooterGranny and msharley like this.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    884 times
    Thank you so much, Geeze! We do what we have to do - at any age!

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    39509 times
    Looks like a very nice 1911 rig!
    msharley and ShooterGranny like this.
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

Member #
    Liked
    81936 times
    Gun looks great and so does the rig! Can't wait for the range report.
    msharley likes this.
    I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'!

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself."
    George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    884 times

Range report

Sunshine today for the first time in over a week, and to the range we went!

The rig is great, with the belt being stiff enough that if i tighten it just right the holster stays in position and doesn't pull up or move when I draw the gun. Because of the thickness of the belt and the double thickness of the top/back of the holster due to how the belt loop is attached, I can't get a "full combat grip" on the gun and have to slightly adjust my grip between initial draw and getting it on target. Since this is not a carry gun, it is no problem.

The gun performed beautifully, as usual. I was working on shooting one handed and shooting on the move, not on slow shooting accuracy, but still did pretty well on the paper targets. The last 25 rounds were on the steel range, shooting at small steel targets. No misses.

I also got to shoot hubby's fairly new Rock Island Armory 9mm 1911 and it is wonderful! It is so heavy that the weight of that all steel gun absorbs enough recoil that it feels like shooting my P238 .380 - but the grip is so much larger than the SIG mini gun that there is plenty of room for best possible grip for my hands. it was delightful to know that there is ONE 9mm gun in our household that I can shoot now with my damaged hands!

Then we came home and I made a grocery list and we went to town to a new "Mexican grille" which is like a Qdoba or Chipotle,but privately owned. We each had a fairly decent burrito bowl, and then it was on to Kroger for a good size shopping.

Tomorrow is my birthday but today we celebrated!
    msharley and Curt360 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    13567 times
    Hey Miss Granny,

Later, Mark
    ShooterGranny and Curt360 like this.
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E. Lee

Marlinitis Symptoms: More daily.

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.........

Member #
    Liked
    884 times
    @msharley THANK YOU! What a pretty picture and how did you know that roses are my favorite flower?
    msharley and Curt360 like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links