I haven't fired a 45ACP in particular a 1911 series pistol in the last several Yrs
Like Tree21Likes
  • 6 Post By dennis40xnc
  • 6 Post By Curt360
  • 4 Post By mrerick
  • 1 Post By dennis40xnc
  • 4 Post By LimaCharlie

Thread: I haven't fired a 45ACP in particular a 1911 series pistol in the last several Yrs

Member #
    Liked
    4386 times

I haven't fired a 45ACP in particular a 1911 series pistol in the last several Yrs

I haven't fired a 45ACP in particular a 1911 series pistol in the last several or more years, we've been firing the more cost effective 9X19mm example S&W MP9 striker fired pistols. So we brought out of semiretirement A Springfield Amory series "Loaded" 1911. We had made some modifications to, rid our selves of the two piece recoil spring guide rod assembly replace it with the GI system and also replaced the OEM ILS mainspring housing with a Wilson flat mainspring housing.

We shoot equivalent GI 230 Gr FMJ-Hardball loads. Thus we set up a IDPA target with the 3-inch diameter head scoring ring and 6- inch so at @ 10Yds we shoot the head scoring ring and at 20-Yds the body scoring ring. What we noticed immediately the recoil difference (it been awhile since we've fired 45ACP and when I did fire it extensively in the past the recoil was not nettle some).

And we don't do slow fire at 10Yds we did not drop rounds out of the 3-inch head ring but at 20Yds we dropped (3) out of the 6-inch body scoring ring. We have (12) 8 round magazines thus 96 rounds fired.

We got lazy firing 9X19mm thus our recoil management suffered somewhat with the 45ACP. None of the firing was slow fire but rapid.
    RdrBill, Leo918, jeepnut and 3 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    55892 times
    I always try to bring a variety of calibers when going out to the range(9mm, 38sp, .357mag, .45acp). I usually bring my XD MOD2 subcompact .45acp with me once in a while to shoot and it is in my EDC rotation occasionally. With the amount of shooting I am able to do recoil effects are not much of an issue but I can imagine one would notice a difference if you were not used to it. What's kinda funny is that Jonsey814 and I discuss recoil of various loads when we shoot to determine what would be the most effective and tolerable and self defense rounds.
    I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'!

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself."
    George Washington

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    19732 times
    Gotta treat yourself every once in a while, right?

I was out shooting this morning with two friends at our club and brought 9mm pistols (a Ruger American 9mm, SIG P210, CZ Shadow 2 and Luger).

We did some "Dot Torture" drills, and had a good time...

My friend was shooting his Springfield M1911a1 (modified with Kart barrel and improved action components) and Colt commander size M1911a1.

I'm finding less difference when shooting .45acp and 9mm these days.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4386 times
    The 1st center fire handgun I fired was the 1911A1 at Parris Island in the summer of 1964. In my lifetime to date, I've probably fired enough 45ACP to fill more than one 55Gal drum with the empties and most would have been hardball equivalent loads. Be that is it may, I switched over to shooting the more cost effective 9X19mm and for concealed carry went with the S&W MP9 series semiautomatic pistol.

Transitions thus changes one makes and or adjusts to are not sudden but rather gradual in certain instances like for myself basically moving away from revolvers. The constant in life is change!
    paulwv likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3966 times
    I have been carrying 1911s and big bore revolvers since 1963. My current carry guns are government model 1911s in either .45 ACP or 10mm and revolvers in .357 magnum, .45 Colt, and .44 magnum. My only 9mm is a Sig P938 that is sometimes pocket carried as a backup gun.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

Links