Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Shooting with arthritis

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3891 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
    As much as I like shooting powerful handguns, age tends to bring on problems. For .45's, I now load 185 gr. bullets at modest velocities. The .38 wadcutter is what I shoot mostly now. As much as I love my Model 52, I shoot a Model 686 with wadcutters more often now. The 686 has the advantage of me not having to pick up casings off the ground. I've been shooting a 28 ga. shotgun the last few years but I think I have found the secret to keep shooting a 12 ga. I purchased a Beretta A-400 Extreme Unico with Kick-off a few months back. Boy, what a soft recoiling shotgun!! I can shoot 4-6 boxes of shells even while shooting in a t-shirt and never leave any bruising or soreness in the shoulder.

My dad gave me a 28 ga. single barrel for my 14th birthday. Of all the guns I've had over time , I wish I had that one back. It was a deadly rabbit killer. In those days the 28 wasn't too popular and ammo was very expensive so I traded it for a 20.I'm glad to see the 28 making a comeback.

COME TAKE IT.
    To friends , I'm "Thud". Proud Supporter of Buckeye Firearms Assn.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by georgepittenger View Post
    About 5 years ago I started getting some pain from plantar facsiitis . While not debilitating it got worse .And worse .

I found some info re. the use of tart cherry juice .

I started using it and in less than a week my symptoms totally went away .

I've been using it ever since .

It is also an inflammatory issue so this may help you .

It's not cheap , but what's your health worth ? I buy it on-line now , but it is available at Publix here .

Must be the tart cherry juice .
    I add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar ( also shown to reduce inflammation ) to about 8 oz and drink it prior to my workout .

Maybe it will provide you some relief ............

Regards ,
    George , your homeopathic advisor
    I'm going to look into that. I have arthritis in both wrists, and when it's on the prowl doing anything with my hands is literally a pain. I once met an old woman in the produce section, and when she saw me buying some fresh cherries, she told me that they would reduce arthritis pain if I had any. Turns out she is right. When I eat fresh cherries, my arthritis is barely if at all noticeable.

I also buy online a product called Chondro Pro from MDR Vitamins. It's a small pill and does not upset my stomach, but it really soothes the arthritis for me.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1755 times
    When shooting a semi-automatic pistol, remember that instead of pulling the slide back to load it, it is easier to grip the slide and push the frame forward. As long as you can grip the slide tight enough at the serrations or other ridge structure, this should make it easier to initially load the pistol.

Marc

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3891 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
    When shooting a semi-automatic pistol, remember that instead of pulling the slide back to load it, it is easier to grip the slide and push the frame forward. As long as you can grip the slide tight enough at the serrations or other ridge structure, this should make it easier to initially load the pistol.

Marc
    Name:  After milling01.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  73.8 KB
    I've been adapting not only my way of holding and shooting but I'm also adapting my guns to compensate.
    I had the forward serrations milled into the slide on my .45 so I can grip it from the front with hand over.
    NWDave likes this.

COME TAKE IT.
    To friends , I'm "Thud". Proud Supporter of Buckeye Firearms Assn.

Links