• 1 Post By bruce
  • 1 Post By Ratzo
  • 2 Post By Mac23

Thread: Teaching opportunity went south

Member #
    Liked
    644 times

Teaching opportunity went south

A friend of mine, 80'ish,widow recently lost her son. She asked me to teach her how to shoot his CCW pistol. She doesn't have any firearms experience. So, today I went to her house and off we go to the range. I took a g19 with me to start her out with something soft. Plus, a cleaning kit. She walks out to my car and hands me a xd40 cal and tells me it's loaded. Drop the mag and I see what's obvious to be salt deposits on the mag and bullets. Oh lord! It took considerable effort to rack the slide and eject the chambered cartridge. Gets worse, rust underneath the slide, on the outside and the guide rod is completely pitted. No wonder it was hard to rack. I released the slide and told her it would have to be completely disassembled to remove all of the rust, parts reblued and then it still might not be serviceable. (She couldn't rack the slide of the unloaded g19 so, that was a no/go also). Her son evidently never cleaned it. What a waste of a decent pistol. Oh well, I tried.

Member #
    Liked
    3617 times
    A shame you didn't have a .22 to save her first day at the range.

Member #
    Liked
    764 times
    Yeah, you left us hangin . . . she got to the car ( pistol was trashed) and you headed to the range. YOU had the smarts
    to take along a clean serviceable pistol for the beginner to shot. Go On . . . . . .

(might be 22mag revolver time)
    Last edited by Scout10; 03-20-2017 at 06:06 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15568 times
    Nice effort Phonejack. I'm sure she appreciated the outing.
    jeepnut likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8911 times
    It weren't ALL wasted. Ya learnt to bring more'n one of your own shooters to the range!

Damn crime that XD was left to rot.

But, still, you made the effort, and that gets an A in my book!
    jeepnut and Sportymonk like this.
    I have many fine personality traits, or as my psychiatrist calls them, "symptoms".

Any government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have.--- Thomas Jefferson

911 Response time: 600 seconds-plus. 1911 response time: 900 feet per second.

US Navy, Vietnam Vet, NRA Life Member, Hook'em Horns!

Member #
    Liked
    5126 times
    You tried. Good for you. Good for her. Probably better to start her w/ a .22 LR pistol. Older people especially women seldom have a surplus of hand strength. With no firearms experience, anyone is better served to start w/ a smaller caliber pistol to at least learn the fundamentals of marksmanship, etc.

The grungy pistol? Par for the course. Lots and lots of people who buy guns for protection are not pistoleros. They are just plain Jane people who feel the need for a gun for protection. It's about like people who buy cars for transportation. They seldom buy race cars. They buy cars ... "go carts," i.e., they get in them and crank them and drive away. They don't put a lot of thought into the care and maintenance. I can understand such thinking. I drive a car. When it wears out or I get tired of it, it goes down the road and I buy another one. Guns? I've got a few. None are rusted. But, I tend to buy guns to use and enjoy so they get more than occasional attention. Sincerely. bruce.
    Sportymonk likes this.
    "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
    "A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy."

Member #
    Liked
    2481 times
    You tried. That gets you an A in my book. As Scout said, might be .22 mag or even .38 spcl. revolver time.

I fear the fate suffered by that XD is the fate a lot of pistols recently purchased for self defense will suffer. People as first time gun owners that payed close attention to what the "pros" were telling them, but missed the class on maintenance. If it was ever offered.
    Sportymonk likes this.
    If you can't be who you are, then you don't exist.

Member #
    Liked
    850 times
    What is the game plan for the XD40? Is she leaving it with you to take care of? Is somebody sending it to the mothership for a redo?
    "Enquiring Minds what to Know!"
    If you think things are bad for you, Remember there is a Mr. Pelosi!
    Duct Tape may not fix stupid but it sure can muffle the sound!
    It isn’t the first person who fires who wins gun fights, but is usually the first person to land effective hits.

Member #
    Liked
    4023 times
    Hope the Xd rework comes out OK. Maybe it can eventually be traded for something useful. Good on you for the effort anyway.
    Heartily agree about the .22 suggestions as well as a .38 and medium to full size 9mm or .380. I have steered several people to a Walther PK 380 because it is easy to rack Vs. so many other pistols, especially the pure blowback versions. Lots or really small pistols relegated by new shooters to the dark too - they are just too hard to shoot. Too bad they did not get better advice.
    1av8r and Sportymonk like this.

Links