Custom Walther PP .32 Verchromt
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Custom Walther PP .32 Verchromt

Member #
    Liked
    2178 times

Custom Walther PP .32 Verchromt

On April 8, 2012 I received a 1972 Walther PP .32 W. German police trade-in pistol through my FFL that I bought off Gunbroker. The gun was in excellent mechanical condition with a mint condition bore. The finish was better than it had appeared in the photos on Gunbroker. I purchased the Walther in order to fulfill my idea of the custom double action that I had dreamed about since around 1984.

I had collected several Walther pistols over the years.

I carried a 1988 stainless steel Interarms PPK .380 for 20 years. When I retired the faithful little pistol, I had it engraved with 75% coverage American Scroll. The one problem I've always had is a common one with some folks. I have big hands and the Walther's slide would cut railroad tracks in the web of my hand when shooting fast. If I concentrated, I could lower my grip to avoid the blood, but when shooting fast the pistol's slide always got me. Here's a photo of my hand after I shot steel plates last year with my stainless PPK:

I turned my .32 PP over to Mario Matelli (Bullseye Firearms and Gunsmithing) and he welded a beavertail grip tang onto the gun to prevent my hand from seeping red. Mario also removed the front sight, cut a new dovetail, and installed a Novak gold bead front sight (which I've always liked ever since reading about Ed McGivern and his custom front sights). Mario also widened the rear dovetail and install a match Novak low profile rear sight.

Patience is a virtue they say. This project took 17 months to complete with all the different work I had done. After Mario worked his magic, I sent the Walther off to Michael Gouse in Montana (Gouse Freelance Firearms Engraving & Montana Art Emporium). I've had several guns engraved by Michael, always with American Scroll. But he can do any kind of engraving and I decided that my dream Walther needed vintage German Oak Leaves & Acorns deep relief style engraving.

Gouse engraved the blue steel pistol and left it without finishing at my request since I had a vision of how I wanted the Walther to turn out when done.

When the .32 came back from Gouse (only a 7 week turnaround time!!), I then delivered it to a local gentleman who specializes in Walther and Luger restorations. I told him I just wanted to have the trigger, magazine release, safety, hammer, extractor, and grip screw nitre (fire) blued as Walther would have done in the 1930's. He did a great job, but the extractor on this 1972 model is not made from the same steel as the Walthers from 40 years prior and it would not take the blue. That was okay, I would just have it finished along with the rest of the pistol. The nitre blue turned out amazing!

Once I had the Walther back in my hands again, I shipped it off to Accurate Plating & Weaponry in Alabama (ACCURATE PLATING AND WEAPONRY | APWCOGAN). After lots of research, I felt their reputation was outstanding to do the work I desired.

Walther plated some of their (rare) PP and PPK pistols with a finish they called Verchromt. Translated from German, it means "very chrome" or "hard chrome" as we would say here in the US. Hard chrome is very popular and durable finish on modern pistols today.

When I first saw the Sig Sauer Scorpion pistols (they make a 1911, P226, P220, etc with this finish), I was stricken by how good the two-tone look appeared when the trigger, mag release, decocking lever, hammer, etc looked in black compared to the flat dark earth finish on the rest of the pistols. Instead of being all one color, the small parts really contrasted well to my eye.

I figured my custom Walther with a Verchromt silver finish would contrast really well with the fire blued small parts. A search via Google turned up a factory original Walther PP just as I imagined it.

I view the world the way I see it and I see it over my front sight.

Member #
    Liked
    2178 times
    I searched around for a pair of custom grips for the gun. The factory black plastic grips look great, but I felt a little something extra would set the Walther off. Of course, ivory or pearl would be great, but they would have to be custom made and they'd be very expensive. Various wood custom grips would probably look good with oak leaves & acorn matching carvings. But then I found a set of Walther white/slightly yellowed with age grips on Ebay. They were very reasonable and I know these grips are quite rare. I don't think the seller knew what he had. They also had factory silver escutcheons which means they were on a factory gun that was silver in color. I think they match the custom work on the PP very well. I also like that they "feel" totally factory without changing the grip or the width of the pistol. I'm very used to the feel of my other factory Walthers.

I'm very pleased with how it turned out. It's exactly the modern version of a classic engraved Walther from 80 years ago. The sights are really easy to see and fast to acquire. Mario installed custom Wolff springs throughout and the single action pull and double action pull are outstanding! I can't wait to get to the range and see how it shoots!

I put together a mahogany finished presentation box finished with Linspeed oil and set off with a Walther banner pin:

Here's some more photos:

-Steve

Member #
    Liked
    2178 times
    It's a very difficult handgun to photograph. The hard chrome is so bright. Here's a couple photos of the Walther in the sunlight. Every which way I turn it in my hand, the light catches the engraving and the fire blue and makes it look different every time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3804 times
    Beautiful pistol and some very nice work. You have more than done it justice, you updated it to where it should be, imho, and made it even better. Love the contrast with the trigger and hammer.

BTW: You have some paws man
    mm6mm6 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    499 times
    Oh man!!!! That's a pretty Walther!!!!!
    mm6mm6 likes this.
    US Army Retired 1976-1997

Member #
    Liked
    5677 times
    Envy is a sin...I have "SINNED"...

mm6mm6 and Willboat like this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    33702 times
    I don't care much for bottom-feeders & even less for the backwards European safeties. However that sweet little Walther might make me re-think!
    mm6mm6 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20434 times
    Stunning engraving work. You did very well with the choice of engraving style on this one.
    Congratulations on a job well done

Regards,
    Gregory
    mm6mm6 likes this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    19218 times
    Those are always beautiful both pictures and pistols!
    mm6mm6 likes this.
    Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6212 times
    I'm speechless! That is a true work of art. I"m gonna look at all the pics again, clean the drool off my keyboard, and then maybe look again!
    mm6mm6 likes this.
    Duane

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links