+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1347 times

I ordered a S&W M&P .40 Pro...GOT IT!!! (Pics)

I did it! I ordered a new S&W M&P .40 Pro yesterday. I also ordered two extra mags (total of four) and a Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel (backordered until one month from now). I can't find M&P full size 9mm mags anywhere except from S&W (expensive!).

Hopefully I'll have the pistol in my hands in a week or so. I bought it online from www.oakhillenterprises.com for $559 plus $25 shipping plus $20 transfer from my FFL. So $604 total.

I need a full size pistol for combat competition in the league I compete in. I sold my EAA Witness because I couldn't get a holster that worked with the gun (Witness Match with rail wearing a 9mm conversion...the holsters just won't work with that combo) so I needed a new gun.

I have lots of 9mm ammo and I can buy more cheaper than any other semi-auto caliber. The 9mm's low recoil also helps with competition.

I like the idea of the 5" barrel and the green fiber optic front sight on the M&P Pro. I also like buying it in .40 instead of 9mm (despite the extra cost of the Storm Lake barrel in 9mm and the extra four mags I need to buy in 9mm) in case I decided to carry it in .40 on duty.

Oh boy! A new S&W!!!! I'm so excited!
    Last edited by mm6mm6; 05-31-2011 at 05:17 PM.
    I view the world the way I see it and I see it over my front sight.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11954 times
    Let us know how it performs once you get it out for a little exercise. I have a personal interest in what you think, as this is the next S&W I plan on crossing off my "Short List"
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988, And Proud Of It.

Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Me too. I have a Sigma in .40, and it always does well for me. I have large hands and have never had a problem with the heavy trigger pull due to the fact that I have no problem getting the distal joint of the finger all over the trigger, but I have been saving money to get the M&P full size in .40. I like the feeling of the full size gun, not to mention the performance, even if it is a little more of a challenge to carry. Good luck with your new pistol.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I carry M&P 40c. Love this gun! Just ordered apex hard sear. Will drop my pull to under 5 lbs...I can get used to that.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11954 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tlwheatley View Post
    I carry M&P 40c. Love this gun! Just ordered apex hard sear. Will drop my pull to under 5 lbs...I can get used to that.
    I too carry the M&P 40c. I also installed the APEX Tactical Hard Sear, and also the Apex RAM. Night and Day Difference, hard to believe it is the same gun.
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

Member #
    Liked
    1347 times
    I picked up my M&P .40 Pro today. I love it! Even though I have big hands, the smallest grip insert feels fantastic in my grip. I love the balance and pointability of this 5" barrel too. The green fiber optic front sight glows like it's radioactive. When I get to the range, I'll be sure to report back, but for now all I have are some pictures to share:

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11954 times
    NICE! We will all be expecting a Full Range Report.

Member #
    Liked
    1347 times
    I fired my new M&P .40 Pro today. Just some quick test firing at 7 yards. 50 rounds of Federal 180 grain fmc ammo (the blunt nosed, sort of truncated cone style ammo that sometimes doesn't feed in some other guns but it's cheap at Wal-Mart) and 20 rounds of Speer Gold Dot hollowpoints. All fired perfectly. If I did my part, they all went in the 1 1/2" bullseye at 7 yards. The targets I shoot have a very small bullseye and I always have to remind myself that I'm shooting at a very small target. I have it in my mind that if I don't hit the bullseye, then either I or the gun stink.

I shot the Springfield Armory XD-M 9mm 3.8 that I won a few weeks ago and I was disappointed in its performance. I tried to remind myself that I was shooting at a very tiny target and that if I was shooting at a standard silhouette target, I would be much happier with the results (because the ten ring is much bigger).

Anyway, the S&W M&P didn't disappoint me. All of my shots were hitting the little ten ring when I concentrated. Even when I didn't, the shots only went in the 9 ring. The green front sight is really easy to pick up and the trigger pull's "take up" was very consistent. The actual trigger break is at 5 pounds, 12 ounces on my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge. A big higher than the advertised 4 - 5 1/2 pounds, but right about in there. I was hoping for closer to 4, but that's okay.

A really nice guy at the range (that I've always talked with because he's a big S&W guy) brought me the Trijicon factory night sights from his M&P and gave them to me. What a super thing to do! If I decide to carry the gun at a later date, I have to have night sights.

I've now got 4 .40 mags and 4 9mm mags. When the Storm Lake 9mm barrel comes in, it will be a lot of fun shooting this gun. The .40 S&W round does kick quite a bit. 9's should be a whole lot less recoil.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11954 times
    That did it for me. I have a bonus check coming the end of the month, I know where part of that is going!

Thanks for the report.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8275 times
    Sounds like a great pistol...nice range report!
    I can not abide useless people.

The only way Obama can become a bigger idiot is by gaining weight.

Links