+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Youth Handgun

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11821 times

Youth Handgun

I am looking to purchase a handgun for my Grandsons to use and practice with when my Son and I take them to the range, they are 14, 13, and 10. I currently own a S&W 686, 645, and M&P 40c. My Son has a Ruger GP100. I am just afraid that even if I load .38 Special Lite Loads it may be too much for them and not be able to control them. I am looking at something in a 22LR that will let them learn proper control without being afraid of the recoil.

Auto or Revolver, looking for some guidance and recommendations.
    Would like to stay with a Smith, but am open to other good quality brands. Don't want to spend a ton of money, but do not any Junk that is not worth bringing home either.
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988, And Proud Of It.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2673 times
    In auto's there are any number of good choices. I've never fired S&W's 22A but I hear it is pretty good. Then there is the Ruger 22/45, or the Browning Buckmark.

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    The best advice I can give you is to find a lightly used, late 70's-early 80's K-22, either a 6" Model 17 or a 4" Model 18. Revolver are best I think for youngsters to learn on. Later, you may want to consider and Advantage Arms .22 Conversion on a Glock 17, so that as they progress you can put the 9mm barrel back in and they can get used to that....

Good Luck and I envy you... the years of teaching my own sons, now in their 30's, to shoot was the best time of my life. Period.

Drew
    ".... Evil Flourishes When Good Men Do Nothing...."

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I took possession of a S&W Model 22A recently. Not a bad one to start with. My experience is limited to a couple of range sessions when the wind was blowing/gusting across the range. Accuracy was okay, given the circumstances, and the gun never failed to feed, fire and extract. Other than being kind of weird looking, I'd say it was a pretty decent little gun. I don't know what they retail for as I got mine at a pawn shop. But, I suspect they aren't too expensive - given what guns are selling for these days. One other thing about the 22A - it seems to me that the slide is somewhat difficult to draw back. It may be a little too heavy for the younger crowd. Oh, one last thing - it's made in Houlton, Maine. That right there might be a good reason to go with Drew's suggestion.
    The last Boy Scout.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11821 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebago Son View Post
    The best advice I can give you is to find a lightly used, late 70's-early 80's K-22, either a 6" Model 17 or a 4" Model 18. Revolver are best I think for youngsters to learn on. Later, you may want to consider and Advantage Arms .22 Conversion on a Glock 17, so that as they progress you can put the 9mm barrel back in and they can get used to that....

Good Luck and I envy you... the years of teaching my own sons, now in their 30's, to shoot was the best time of my life. Period.

Drew
    I know what you mean Drew, teaching my Son was the best time of my Life. I can not wait until it gets warmer to get my 3 Grandsons out to the range. There are a couple of gun shows coming up in my area, I will see if I can find a nice 22 revolver.
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

Member #
    Liked
    13441 times
    Have you looked @ the Ruger Bearcat?

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1399 times
    The 13 and 14 year will surprise you how accurately they can shoot .38 specials!
    Let go of anything that stops you from having everything…DM

Dom

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11821 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Injunbro View Post
    Have you looked @ the Ruger Bearcat?
    NICE Like I said there are a couple of Gun Shows in my area coming up, I will defently be adding this one to the list. I kind of want my Grandsons cut their teeth on a revolver first.

Thanks

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7856 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    The 13 and 14 year will surprise you how accurately they can shoot .38 specials!
    I agree with this comment. The Ruger GP100 is a fairly hefty weapon for even the .357 Magnum...I have no doubt that .38 Special loads would be very controllable in it.
    I can not abide useless people.

The only way Obama can become a bigger idiot is by gaining weight.

Links