Smith And Wesson Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

S&W 5906 - Best 9mm Ever Made?

167K views 68 replies 49 participants last post by  demented 
#1 ·
I would like some of your opinions on this.
Reading an issue of Gunsmith's Magazine. There was an article about the S&W model 5906 9mm handgun. Claiming it is the finest made 9mm in it's class.
The photo shown in the magazine, was the model with the round trigger guard and stainless trigger/hammer.
I asked the local gunsmith in my town about this claim. His reply was "It is the finest" and the article was correct.
I have seen a few preowned on the internet auction sites. Priced very affordable. Making me think it is the best value for the money.
Now, with all the fine models out there: Beretta, Sig, Glock, Ruger, CZ etc. etc.
How do you rate the 5906 too others? Even other Smith & Wesson's

#2 ·
Well, considering my very first gun was a 5906 and I still own it, I would say it is one of the finest made. The 5906 will digest any kind of ammo you put in it, it is an accurate weapon and it is a good looking weapon. I have an early production model with the square trigger guard and adjustable sights. I have owned it new since 1989 and probably have put close to 3k rounds through it without a hitch. There are numerous web sights that sell LEO trade in guns in varying conditions. The stainless finish lends itself to easy cleaning and maintenance. I would say if you are leaning towards buying one, do it. You will not be disappointed .

#3 ·
Any of the 3rd Generation (4-digit model numbers) pistols are arguably the best in their class. The 5906 is certainly one of, if not the best full-sized, all steel 9mm service pistols ever produced. You will undoubtedly get arguments from those who think their particular brand is the best, but over the years I've used just about every make pistol offered and I have always come back to S&W's. I prefer the way Smiths handle and shoot, and happen to think that their internal design is easier to maintain than any other comparable pistol.

The more "modern" polymer designs are in a different class and, although probably better suited for general issue, will not do anything any better than a 3rd Gen Smith. For those of us who like them, nothing works better than a 5900, 6900, or 3900 series S&W. You will not go wrong buying any of them.

David

#8 ·
The 5906 is a great firearm, but I always felt it was a bit on the heavy side. I actually love the 6906 which I keep as my "do everything and never worry about it" handgun. It is dependable, easy to clean, and deadly accurate.

I don't think you can go wrong with either gun, its just a comfort thing. I do believe that the 3rd generation S&W semi-autos are the best non-military 9mm ever made (I don't know how they would function in sand, water, etc...). For a civilian or law enforcement officer, I would bet my life on it if I had to.

But remember, I am not a plastic guy.........

#9 ·
Probably......in a high cap, ful size, steel frame category. In a single stack, full size, steel 9mm the 3906 is perhaps the best.

But as Leighton pointed out, the 3913 is widely accepted as the finest 9mm pistol extant. ;) Regards 18DAI.

#12 ·
I have no dog in this hunt other than I have ordered one, and have dealt with this dealer several times, and have never been disappointed. Mark Kitterman of www.summitgunbroker has 5904's, round trigger guard, for sale. I'll not list the price, but I recommend you go there an check them out. Prices are very low for a classic S&W 3rd Gen gun!!

G
#15 ·
Hummm! I have never owned, nor used one. As a matter of fact, while I have aquired a number of revolvers and loved them all, I have only had 2 Smith Autos, and gave both away. One was a 745 and the other a small pocket .22, model 61 perhaps? The 61 wasn’t a Baretta, and the 745 was not a colt! I have not been tempted since! Perhaps this is the time!

Willie

#23 ·
A good 5906, or other 3rd Gen 9mm is a pretty comforting pistol to have around. I really like mine a lot, it is a favorite. My Hi Power is close, and I plan to keep it.

The P226/9mm just doesn't shoot as well in my hands; it is too awkward for me. The Beretta's grip is wrong for my hands; but the slide racks really nice.

I really like the 5906.

#26 ·
There is nothing close to them in current production. Except for their O frame copies, most of their semi autos are now poly framed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.