Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Sigma 40

8K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  leejack 
#1 ·
New member here long time old fart and lurker, Just a few words on the Sigma 40? Just over a thousand plus rounds on this gun and no problems, trigger is still heavy but just fine. Overall very happy witht the gun and i have installed a M3 tactical iluminator no need for a laser with this firearm. I know this gun has been talked about alot with mixed reviews, it is a good reliable gun, shoots well, feels good(thats what she said) 2 free mags with purchase, good power, great price. I think the people that dont like this gun are spoiled by the other high end semi autos, to me the Sigma is a real "man im really pulling the trigger" kinda gun that tells you im gonna go "bang" everytime!! thats what i like about it and how easy it is to maintain and strip. In conclusion, i like it, my friends like it and a few are picking one up because of the price. Dont let the haters steer you in another direction if your heart wants one, get it, its a fine gun.

#5 ·
Thanks for the welcomes. The Sigma 40 just works. The fact the slide, magazine and internals are stainless steel, tells me this gun will last a along time and nevermind the price,rebates and magazines offer makes it a easy gun to own. IMO the Sigma is going be a very popular gun for many for a long time im sure. Its well built and affordable and its made here in the USA and i like that. The trigger is designed that way and like anything new, just takes a couple hundred rounds of getting used to. I have read more good than bad reviews on this gun, This is a great S&W pistol. Nice to be here and to getting to know you all.

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum! welcome01

Sounds like you got a very good deal. Most people who have Sigma handguns really do like them quite a bit. I have shot them a few times and other than the trigger(as many point out) it seems like a great value and the firearms seem to work great. The trigger didn't bother me but I do more revolver shooting and the DA pull of my revolvers don't seem to limit my shooting of wheelguns. :)

#8 ·
Thanks all!! I own a few other firearms to, The Sigma was a new addition. If i had to bug out and run, the 40 runs with me. seems like a small surplus of 40 ammo at various guns stores which is good. I see alot of true professionals here and i am amazed by the knowlege here and short of a few of you owning your own gun making shops, the info you all give on the various firearms we shoot helps all of us become better and safe shooters. Since the few days with all the recent earthquakes and storms around the world, having a good survival bag and firearm for the get out and go scenario is not a bad idea and a good old shake the bag up with all its contents to make sure all is still ready and useable. You are all my brothers & sisters in arms and i will stand and aid you if in company if we are ever together in any situation. Been around awhile(my nick bluarcher is a old CB handle), have some skills, yours that i dont know will be valuable to me and mind to you. Stay safe and pointed in the right direction everybody, Im here for my family and for you all and have visisted other gun forums, i have to say the quality of the members here on the S&W forums is of good grain and high caliber quality, I am happy to be here and look forward to getting to know you all. Thank You

Joe Chargualaf

#9 ·
We're happy to have you here!

You are absolutely correct in your observation. We really do have an outstanding cast of characters in this forum. Lots of excellent firearm knowledge and mighty friendly people too!

Thanks for joining!

lee

#10 ·
I like my Sigma 40. Didn't think I'd ever say that, but there it is. I've had mine for a long while, now, and have put several thousand rounds down range. It just seems to get better every time I shoot it. Believe me when I say I'm no fan of DAO trigger work, but this handgun has changed my thinking on the subject.

Good luck with yours and welcome to the forum.

#12 ·
I've found this pistol to be remarkably accurate. When I dig the slugs out of the sandbox behind my targets, the land and groove marks are impressive. It does not go out of the tube sideways for sure. Friend of mine has a Kimber .45 and the marks on his slugs are really light; and, sometimes only on three sides. I don't know if it's his ammo or the barrel? But all my .40 slugs are evenly grooved all around the slug. That's why I like this pistol. When it misses the bullseye, its me and my shaky hands, not the pistol.

#13 ·
Thats also why i like the .40 caliber West Texas, It has power a very fine caliber. We all know the Sigmas not going to win any beauty contest, but i like knowing in the next 10-20 years it will still be around due to the stainless components that makes it a gun worth owning. I am like you West Texas, as much as i shoot the Sigma, i should be hitting center all the time but i dont. The .40 is a menancing looking gun from the front, you would swear that a train was going to come out of the barrel as big as that hole is. My brother has a big old polishing wheel in the garage, but i decided to leave the finish as is and i have seen one close up polished, not bad but a real bear for me IMO to rack the slide its just to smooth and shooting cheap oily reloads dosn't help. With the thousands of different models of Semi autos and the wide choices of makes, the Sigma looked right, felt right(thats what she said) and was priced cheaper than my sons Playstation and all its accessories ha!! In all honesty i want another one and have dreams of carrying them Tomb Raider style. Thanks For all the hellos and welcomes!!

#16 ·
I as well have a Sigma in 40 cal. I have heard that you can replace the stiff spring with a spring from a mechanical pencil. The is a youtube video of it in the gunsmithing section. I don't know if a spring from a mechanical pencil will be reliable for very long. I also heard that wolf has a 3.5lb spring for the Sigma. Does anyone know where to get this. As many have said hundreds of rounds through my Sigma too and not a single flaw, but a little lighter trigger would be very handy.

Thanks

#17 ·
The good thing about the Sigma 40 is the trigger is not a design flaw? the trigger is not an issue IMO and makes the Sigma feel almost antiaircraft and reliable. All guns have something different about them and the Sigma is the trigger, its different and is better than no safety at all right?. Heaven forbid their is someone or something at the receiving end of a 40 cal volley, you have instant andswer back firepower if you needed it and a 10 to 12 pound trigger pull will feel like 5. I have owned a few pistols anf handguns, glocks, sigs, jing gong brand cheapies lol, the Sigma is a furby, original nintendo 64, auri(infomercial car wax company in the mid 90s) chia pet kinda gun, you plug it in and it will work. @EVOLVIII, ha! ya right!! the Sigma would be a awesome carry like that!.

#18 ·
Don't get me wrong, I love my gun very much. Even though that is the safety for the gun, I personally would like a little lighter pull. This is by far the best $300 dollars that I have ever spent and got 4 14rd. clips for it. I consider that a deal on any gun, but one that performs everytime I pull the trigger that is just flat out amazing.

#19 ·
Nice to be posting with you all again, you are all a bunch nice folks in here. Agreed and written into history by Sigma 9 and 40 owners was price,reliability, heavy trigger pull, acc. rail. S&W gave these guns away and im happy about that. Glocks, Sigs and Beneli are all fine works of gun craftmanship and quality, but the Sigma 9 and 40 are to. The fact so many where produced and bought guarantees parts and ammo for a very long time and im actually going to get another just because lol. If anyone wants pics(thats what she said) i have three different light set ups for this gun and have shot over a thousand rounds with -0- problems, some of us may have had or owned guns that wouldnt shoot 6 maybe 20,700 rounds with out some kind of malfunction or repair. In conclusion IMO the Sigma 40 should be sold in pairs lol really they should ha!! Thanks all for the replies, let me know if i can be of help to anybody!!

#23 ·
EVOLVIII said:
sigmafreak27 said:
have fun replacing the extractor over and over again about every 1000 rounds. Love S&W but this gun is horrible for reliability
maybe it's how you handle/care for yours? 1500 rounds so far and 0 problems. Don't knock the gun as a whole.
Sigmafreak posted a few threads a couple of pages back on this subsection of the forum, after he got his Sigma and how great it was, note his user name, then he started having problems with the pistol and had bad service from S&W. Sad that they couldn't fix his problem because originally he seemed to really like the Sigma.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.